Alaska Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden
Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • Free flight benefits, free medical for yourself (in 42 reviews)

• Work from home, travel benefits, great health care (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, not comparable to other airlines (in 21 reviews)

• Work/life balance could be better (in 9 reviews)

1. "Reservations Agent"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Kent, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits, friendly co workers and supervisors. Work from home after 6 months. You can work from home sooner if you do more overtime.

Cons

Pay is very low. Location is in the middle of Kent so you have to deal with traffic during commute hours. Manditory overtime you have to bid on (yes they make you bid on overtime you have to work). This happens every 2 days. If your sick then dont be, this counts as a occurance(3 occurances and they can terminate you). No flex time if your late.

Advice to Management

Allow paid sick days throughout the year. Allow Flex times. Allow employees to pick their own shifts if your going to mandate overtime.

"The free travel isn't even worth it!"

Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Flight benefits are amazing, you can fly stand by on any Alaska flight you want any time you want, and after 6months you can fly stand by on other airlines for a small fee as well. The health insurance is also pretty nice. Coworkers are like a family. You can work from home if you want to.

Cons

Everything else. The pay... you will make more working at a fast food restaurant in downtown Seattle, and you will probably like the job more too. The management sucks. They treat you like preschoolers. You are watched 24/7, they have no trust in their employees, if you do one tiny thing wrong they watch you for weeks. You are constantly monitored, on calls and off calls. Favoritism is definitely a thing that is played there as well. If you aren't a favorite of management, you don't advance anywhere. You don't get anything, ever. If you have to go to the bathroom more than once a day not during your assigned break time (which you must take on time exactly or you get in trouble), you get in trouble. The attendance policy is pure BS. If you are sick, late, get into a car accident, someone in your family dies, you get injured, you're pregnant and have morning sickness, any of that more than 3 times in a YEAR, a whole year, you get put into a step of discipline for attendance. Oh, and thats only if you pass your 6month probation. If you are still on probation and you call in more than twice, you're fired. Also, you get a set schedule, unless you're brand new. But don't ever count on working that set schedule every week. Your 40hours turns into 60hours real quick with mandatory overtime, and you cant say no. You say no, you're in trouble. Did I mention you'd make more money working at a McDonalds???

Advice to Management

STOP TREATING YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE PRESCHOOLERS. They are all adults and know how to take care of themselves, every single one of them. Also, have some respect and give everyone an equal opportunity to advance and learn/train in new things. Stop playing favorites, it gets old and looks bad. Maybe if you knew how to run a department your turnover rate wouldn't be so horrible. People don't quit jobs because they love them, FYI.

"CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Full time hours and company name.

Cons

Benefits have down graded, no flexibility, everyone is so negative and down at work. Stressful to the max, have to juggle so much and trainers are not helpful at all. Give you benefits to Fly yet seniority always wins, and you continue to roll down the list. Pto is a week if that- do not work for Alaska, the company name is not what people make it out to be.

Advice to Management

Bring benefits back, and treat your employees. Provide a more steady and positive enviornment. It's a shame how much this company makes, yet doesn't take care of its own employees.

"The Worst Job I have EVER had!!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are good - 401k -

Cons

They pay is too low for the abuse you take on a daily basis. If you are full time you must work mando OT - if you don't sign up for it, the supervisor's sign you up for it. You cant be late - not even a minute...they will fire you. You can't hang up on anyone - or they will fire you. You cant transfer a call - or they will fire you. You work all they time so you never get to use the flight benefits.....Management never speaks to you - and heaven forbid if you talk to your neighbor - management comes out of their glass offices and tells you to get back to work. You have NO interaction with any of your co-workers - so on breaks - no one speaks to one another. They make you work when you are sick, so you are always sick - because they never clean the office. The floors are filthy, the break room is filthy, the vents have fuzz all over them. There are so many rules - they even control what kind of bag you bring your lunch in....they have no compassion for their employees, yet you have to watch empathy and compassion videos for training - The company works you like a sweatshop-work til you drop dead.

Advice to Management

You need to look into Phx management - they are terrible

"This job stinks!!"

Current Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The insurance benefits are pretty good
    You are able to eventually work from home
    You receive union representation after 6 months of being employed

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE!
    The pay is terrible
    The hours are terrible
    You have less flexibly than a doctor on call
    You are treated like a second class citizen
    There is hardly any room for advancement

Advice to Management

Hire more people

"Bottom line more important than employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Post Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Post Falls, ID

I worked at Alaska Airlines (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are what make the company.

Cons

The company has forgotten that it's the employees that make the company

"Reservations Sales - Worst job I have ever had."

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health care is amazing and protection from union if you pass 6 months of probation is also awesome.

Cons

Where to begin.. I have had a lot of jobs in my relatively short 23 years of life and never have I experienced such agony and dread going into work than I did working in the reservations department of Alaska Airlines. The job is incredibly complex computer-wise with multiple programs that you learn over an excruciatingly long period of 3 weeks. These classes are taught at a snail's pace and anybody that excels at the work is either made fun of or told to slow down by classmates and the trainers.

As for when the work begins, the frustrations literally never end. The Seattle call center was absolutely disgusting when my class of about 30 people arrived which meant overflowing trash cans, a 40 year old "break room" with broken vending machines and moldy floors and toilets that were constantly out of toilet paper and smelled endlessly of urine. Beyond the actual dreariness of the call center and their lack of nice desks, chairs or computers, the work is miserable.

You literally sit at a desk for minimum 8 hours and talk to mostly angry, rude and disrespectful customers all day long. Meanwhile, every single move you make on the computer is being closely watched by corporate supervisors and any call can be monitored and strictly critiqued by your "team leaders". If you have to use the bathroom or take a personal phone call for more than 8 minutes within your shift, you'll get in trouble and may not pass probation. If you tell them you cannot work an additional 3 hours of "mandatory" overtime at the end of your shift because your baby is sick, you may not pass probation. If you have to leave work because you're throwing up with morning sickness, you may not pass probation. Corporate (aka the non union supervisors that are paid a heck of a lot more than the measly $11.56 you make) constantly hold over your head the fact that if you "misbehave" AT ALL, you may not pass probation.

I also had a schedule called "relief" which means that I would never know my schedule until 5 days before it started and it only lasted for 5 days and then it would switch to something else. Not only my schedule but also my days off changed every 5 days. I finally quit after I received my 3 am - 11 am shift and was asked for probably the 10th time since I had started working on the actual phones 2 months before to work another 3 hours after my shift was over at 11am. I told them no. That the company did not take care of me, that if they didn't respect my time in the slightest, that I didn't respect them at all.

To wrap up, I just want to explain to someone that while the entire Alaska company is not necessarily awful, the reservations call center feels like it should honestly be happening in a country you typically expect call centers to be in, because that's the conditions and pay that we received. I now work for Nordstrom and have never been more happier however so I guess all things happen for a reason.

"CSA"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines (More than 3 years)

Pros

The travel benefits are what keep employees at the company.

Cons

The salary is too low for the amount of work that is required.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect.

10. "Operations Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free flight benefits for travel

Cons

Upper management is not consistent
    Union workgroup is horrible and lazy

11. "Incredibly immature organization"

Former Contractor - Senior PM in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Senior PM in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

good money, reverse commute was good

Cons

The most passive - aggressive, protectionist, mean spirited, talk behind your back organization I have ever experienced in my life. Incompetence is rampant within IT. The trick to working there long term is to not document your processes and to not share information and you will enjoy an long tenure at Alaska Air. I will NEVER fly Alaska Airlines again knowing what is really going on inside that company.

Advice to Management

Hold your employees accountable for their actions. Protectionist tactics are everywhere especially with the long-time employees yet management does not care at all. Alaska Spirit may exist while facing customers inside a fuselage but is extinct within IT... if it ever existed at all.