Alaska Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden
Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • Free flight benefits, free medical for yourself (in 42 reviews)

• Work from home, travel benefits, great health care (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, not comparable to other airlines (in 21 reviews)

• Work/life balance could be better (in 9 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Agent"

I worked at Alaska Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is top notch. Most employees are really nice and genuine. Benefits are great. One of the best in the industry.

Cons

Low wage overall even though the CSA's in the bay area get paid more than other CSA's in the company. The training is in Seattle for 10 days. If you have tattoo's or piercings this may not be the place for you. They are very strict and judgmental if you have them.

Advice to Management

If you are too uptight and strict you will have a hard time getting business from millennials. If all you are concerned about is being business professionals and attracting more conservatives, you will run of customers/guests and passengers. I guess thats why you acquired Virgin because they attract a younger crowd. But once they find out how old school you are they will want to take their business elsewhere regardless of your ties to Virgin. You need to innovate and recognize that its the younger generation that will bring change and more acceptance.

2. "They're a traditional company that has good and bad moments."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flying benefits after 30 days of hiring date helps travel fanatics feed their travel bug. Also they have quarterly and annual bonuses that are very nice when you qualify for them. There's also a awesome feature in some of their unions that allow you to transfer departments within the same union. Exp. I was in the call center and without an interview or drug test, I hopped into a CSA position when I qualified.

Cons

You'll definitely be asked to work 24/7 when you first start. Also the union dues are a little much if you are trying to live off of only the one paycheck.

Advice to Management

Either when union contracts are open for negotiations, lower union dues or up wages.

3. "Reservations Agent"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Kent, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits, friendly co workers and supervisors. Work from home after 6 months. You can work from home sooner if you do more overtime.

Cons

Pay is very low. Location is in the middle of Kent so you have to deal with traffic during commute hours. Manditory overtime you have to bid on (yes they make you bid on overtime you have to work). This happens every 2 days. If your sick then dont be, this counts as a occurance(3 occurances and they can terminate you). No flex time if your late.

Advice to Management

Allow paid sick days throughout the year. Allow Flex times. Allow employees to pick their own shifts if your going to mandate overtime.

5. "Captain"

Current Employee - Captain in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Captain in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best airline in the United States. Period.

Cons

None None None None None

Advice to Management

Buy 787s and let's go to Asia and Europe

6. "Employees come last"

Current Employee - Flight A
    Current Employee - Flight A

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good flying benefits (Even though often times you wouldn't be able to get on).
    7% 401k match (Not too bad since they don't care about being the best).
    Good health insurance plans.
    Stock purchase plan program is a bless
    Being par of a union is the best thing, without it ti would have been much worse than it already is.

Cons

Management doesn't really care about employees (Anything else you hear is just propaganda), all what they care about is saving few cents extra even if they need to wear out the crew.
    Management, especially Seattle base, are encouraging spreading the culture of telling on each other instead of creating a nice working atmosphere. Incredibly toxic culture.
    If you are gonna join this company, you really need to watch your back, some manager's sole responsibilities are to find a reason to fire people.
    Management believes they are one of the best companies to work for, and this will actually not happen until they realize that it actually isn't.

Advice to Management

Stop paying people less than they deserve. Reward people for the their contribution in your success (Reward all employees not by making them throw their names in the hat and reward one person).

7. "Customer Care Rep"

Pros

Flight, medical, 401k, vacation benefits

Cons

Hours when you first start

"Stay out of HR!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flight benefits are nice, if you can use them. Flights are full and non-represented employees have little to no flexibility to travel.
    Employees are amazing! The friendships are what kept me here for so long.
    Upper level leadership is inspiring.

Cons

The pay is way below market--no amount of "free" flight benefits could make up the difference
    HR leadership is made of up a clique of people promoted into HR who are not qualified in terms of experience or education--if you are an HR professional, this will not be a good fit for you!
    HR cannot manage or lead its own team and fails to provide good consultation to company leaders.

Advice to Management

HR needs change! Stop promoting people into HR because you think they're a "good people person." This perspective leaves you with an unqualified HR team and shows that you do not value HR as a valid business function.

9. "Reservations"

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

Employees were fun, good people. Good benefits, dental, medical, profit sharing.

Cons

Crazy shifts, could be boring.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. They were fair to me.

10. "Not worth the time"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great travel benefits, friendly coworkers, quality training program

Cons

24/7 operation, new hires receive awful hours, complex computer programs to learn, management more likely to throw you under the bus rather than be there for you, agents are under constant surveillance (timed breaks, web cam on your computer, leadership listening in on your calls), extremely strict daily schedule requirements, very high turnover, customers really only call because they have a problem, virtually zero opportunity to move up beyond call center manager, mandatory overtime, due to time the nature of the work and environment you don't have an opportunity to socialize with any other employees, feels like 1984.

I needed a job and I've been in the aviation industry for quite some time. I should have researched the nature of this work more thoroughly before I started training. There were a few red flags along the way that I figured I would share for anybody researching this company and job before they sign the paperwork. They boast that they are growing very rapidly as a company and they on a hiring spree, but my training class has 30+ people, and they had a new class start one week after mine did. Prior to my start date, they had a class just finishing up with the same number of new hires. 90 new employees within the span of a month... Growth or high turnover? My bet is on the latter now that I know what this job entails. My guess is that people make it 6-12 months into this job before they jump ship due to the hours, management, and strict nature of the work. The work from home option is temping for people for various reasons, but trust me, working from home will be precisely the same as coming to the call center (aside from the commute). They monitor you at your home via drop in listening and webcam (skype). They time your breaks and lunch at home the same way they time you in the call center. It's difficult to feel like you're being watched the entire time you're at work and it's exhausting. I feel mentally drained most days I come home from work. Oddly enough, sitting in front of a computer fatigues me after eight hours.

My advice to you, job seeker, is to find another way to make money. For the amount of stress, time, and effort you put into this job, you will likely make more and be happier at another job.

Good luck!

Advice to Management

Don't really have any recommendations. It's a call center and I don't think you can operate it with the same efficiency any other way. It just isn't the culture or environment that I look for in a job. The travel benefits are fantastic, but they won't keep me at this job if I'm presented with another opportunity that is a bit more flexible and has a better work/life ratio.

"Great place that needs minor changes"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited travel for you and your family, great schedules, awesome coworkers, fun events, unlimited opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Miscommunication with management, passengers love to take their anger out on you and not enough agents so your assigned lots of overtime at peak periods.

Advice to Management

Please make sure you guys are all on the same page. It can be misleading to the agents that are wanting to thrive here!