Alaska Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden
Bradley D. Tilden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free flight benefits, free medical for yourself (in 43 reviews)

• Work from home, travel benefits, great health care (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low and competitor airline without union pays starting CSA (in 22 reviews)

• The companies expectations for new hires is not flexible enough to maintain a good work/life balance x (in 11 reviews)

"Reservations Agent"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent in Kent, WA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits, friendly co workers and supervisors. Work from home after 6 months. You can work from home sooner if you do more overtime.

Cons

Pay is very low. Location is in the middle of Kent so you have to deal with traffic during commute hours. Manditory overtime you have to bid on (yes they make you bid on overtime you have to work). This happens every 2 days. If your sick then dont be, this counts as a occurance(3 occurances and they can terminate you). No flex time if your late.

Advice to Management

Allow paid sick days throughout the year. Allow Flex times. Allow employees to pick their own shifts if your going to mandate overtime.

2. "Employees come last"

Current Employee - Flight A
    Current Employee - Flight A

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good flying benefits (Even though often times you wouldn't be able to get on).
    7% 401k match (Not too bad since they don't care about being the best).
    Good health insurance plans.
    Stock purchase plan program is a bless
    Being par of a union is the best thing, without it ti would have been much worse than it already is.

Cons

Management doesn't really care about employees (Anything else you hear is just propaganda), all what they care about is saving few cents extra even if they need to wear out the crew.
    Management, especially Seattle base, are encouraging spreading the culture of telling on each other instead of creating a nice working atmosphere. Incredibly toxic culture.
    If you are gonna join this company, you really need to watch your back, some manager's sole responsibilities are to find a reason to fire people.
    Management believes they are one of the best companies to work for, and this will actually not happen until they realize that it actually isn't.

Advice to Management

Stop paying people less than they deserve. Reward people for the their contribution in your success (Reward all employees not by making them throw their names in the hat and reward one person).

3. "Not worth the time"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great travel benefits, friendly coworkers, quality training program

Cons

24/7 operation, new hires receive awful hours, complex computer programs to learn, management more likely to throw you under the bus rather than be there for you, agents are under constant surveillance (timed breaks, web cam on your computer, leadership listening in on your calls), extremely strict daily schedule requirements, very high turnover, customers really only call because they have a problem, virtually zero opportunity to move up beyond call center manager, mandatory overtime, due to time the nature of the work and environment you don't have an opportunity to socialize with any other employees, feels like 1984.

I needed a job and I've been in the aviation industry for quite some time. I should have researched the nature of this work more thoroughly before I started training. There were a few red flags along the way that I figured I would share for anybody researching this company and job before they sign the paperwork. They boast that they are growing very rapidly as a company and they on a hiring spree, but my training class has 30+ people, and they had a new class start one week after mine did. Prior to my start date, they had a class just finishing up with the same number of new hires. 90 new employees within the span of a month... Growth or high turnover? My bet is on the latter now that I know what this job entails. My guess is that people make it 6-12 months into this job before they jump ship due to the hours, management, and strict nature of the work. The work from home option is temping for people for various reasons, but trust me, working from home will be precisely the same as coming to the call center (aside from the commute). They monitor you at your home via drop in listening and webcam (skype). They time your breaks and lunch at home the same way they time you in the call center. It's difficult to feel like you're being watched the entire time you're at work and it's exhausting. I feel mentally drained most days I come home from work. Oddly enough, sitting in front of a computer fatigues me after eight hours.

My advice to you, job seeker, is to find another way to make money. For the amount of stress, time, and effort you put into this job, you will likely make more and be happier at another job.

Good luck!

Advice to Management

Don't really have any recommendations. It's a call center and I don't think you can operate it with the same efficiency any other way. It just isn't the culture or environment that I look for in a job. The travel benefits are fantastic, but they won't keep me at this job if I'm presented with another opportunity that is a bit more flexible and has a better work/life ratio.

"The free travel isn't even worth it!"

Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Reservations Sales Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Flight benefits are amazing, you can fly stand by on any Alaska flight you want any time you want, and after 6months you can fly stand by on other airlines for a small fee as well. The health insurance is also pretty nice. Coworkers are like a family. You can work from home if you want to.

Cons

Everything else. The pay... you will make more working at a fast food restaurant in downtown Seattle, and you will probably like the job more too. The management sucks. They treat you like preschoolers. You are watched 24/7, they have no trust in their employees, if you do one tiny thing wrong they watch you for weeks. You are constantly monitored, on calls and off calls. Favoritism is definitely a thing that is played there as well. If you aren't a favorite of management, you don't advance anywhere. You don't get anything, ever. If you have to go to the bathroom more than once a day not during your assigned break time (which you must take on time exactly or you get in trouble), you get in trouble. The attendance policy is pure BS. If you are sick, late, get into a car accident, someone in your family dies, you get injured, you're pregnant and have morning sickness, any of that more than 3 times in a YEAR, a whole year, you get put into a step of discipline for attendance. Oh, and thats only if you pass your 6month probation. If you are still on probation and you call in more than twice, you're fired. Also, you get a set schedule, unless you're brand new. But don't ever count on working that set schedule every week. Your 40hours turns into 60hours real quick with mandatory overtime, and you cant say no. You say no, you're in trouble. Did I mention you'd make more money working at a McDonalds???

Advice to Management

STOP TREATING YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE PRESCHOOLERS. They are all adults and know how to take care of themselves, every single one of them. Also, have some respect and give everyone an equal opportunity to advance and learn/train in new things. Stop playing favorites, it gets old and looks bad. Maybe if you knew how to run a department your turnover rate wouldn't be so horrible. People don't quit jobs because they love them, FYI.

"Call Center At Home Agent"

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

At Home, Flight Benefits but have not been able to use

Cons

Constant talk of stats, call handling time, and daily request to log overtime, otherwise you get mandatory overtime. Creates resentment when it is a really difficult job. I've worked for other airlines and this has not been a good experience. In fact I am deeply disappointed that they treat call center and at home agents so poorly in not valuing their time, not just with constant mandatory overtime but a very out-dated and confusing log in system in login overtime and submitting bids. Management needs to give incentives when so much is expected and some calls are very hard as people yell and get mad at you. We constantly have to tell people things they don't want to hear, yet we HAVE to work overtime, even when we are burned out and then constantly reminded to show the Alaska Spirit in customer service! It's maddening and just so disappointing when it would not take that much to show appreciation for agents that bring in so much money for the company.

Advice to Management

Make call center and at home agents much more of a priority and don't micromanage to the point that you hate your job. Actions speak louder than words and a thank you for working mandatory overtime just is NOT helpful. Taking call after call is hard and there should be more incentives and better treatment even in facilities and software so outdated.

6. "Low Pay and Overworked"

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

Good natured employees with good intentions

Cons

Low low pay especially for IT related jobs! Overworked employees and extremely limited flight capabilities for new hires

Advice to Management

With an aging and over stressed workforce start focusing on maintaining and supporting new hires

"CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Full time hours and company name.

Cons

Benefits have down graded, no flexibility, everyone is so negative and down at work. Stressful to the max, have to juggle so much and trainers are not helpful at all. Give you benefits to Fly yet seniority always wins, and you continue to roll down the list. Pto is a week if that- do not work for Alaska, the company name is not what people make it out to be.

Advice to Management

Bring benefits back, and treat your employees. Provide a more steady and positive enviornment. It's a shame how much this company makes, yet doesn't take care of its own employees.

"Recruitment overworked and under paid"

Pros

Representing a well know respected brand and they have a good benefit package.

Cons

A Recruiter job at Alaska may sound like a good career move, but employee beware. Recruiters are expected to carry heavy workloads to include long days, travel, sixty hour work weeks with no work life balance. The more a recruiter gives the more they take. The recruitment leadership is a disaster and needs a revamp. Low pay considering the job duties of the position.

Advice to Management

Wake up and value the the recruiters who are the face of the company selling the brand. Provide the salary to match the work given. Hire more recruiters and coordinators to lessen the workload. Every other company is moving towards flexibility, with work life balance while Alaska is running their Recruiters to the ground. Look at the turnover in recruitment and see there is a problem. Stop losing good people.

"The Worst Job I have EVER had!!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are good - 401k -

Cons

They pay is too low for the abuse you take on a daily basis. If you are full time you must work mando OT - if you don't sign up for it, the supervisor's sign you up for it. You cant be late - not even a minute...they will fire you. You can't hang up on anyone - or they will fire you. You cant transfer a call - or they will fire you. You work all they time so you never get to use the flight benefits.....Management never speaks to you - and heaven forbid if you talk to your neighbor - management comes out of their glass offices and tells you to get back to work. You have NO interaction with any of your co-workers - so on breaks - no one speaks to one another. They make you work when you are sick, so you are always sick - because they never clean the office. The floors are filthy, the break room is filthy, the vents have fuzz all over them. There are so many rules - they even control what kind of bag you bring your lunch in....they have no compassion for their employees, yet you have to watch empathy and compassion videos for training - The company works you like a sweatshop-work til you drop dead.

Advice to Management

You need to look into Phx management - they are terrible

"What's to really say!"

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

A paycheck. Not sure there really is any.

Cons

Micromanaging, terrible hours, low wages. Typical call center with unhappy people yelling about their problems.