Alaska Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Alaska Airlines Reviews

Updated August 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free flight benefits, free medical for yourself (in 43 reviews)

• Very flexible schedule once you have a bit of seniority, excellent travel benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low and competitor airline without union pays starting CSA (in 22 reviews)

• The companies expectations for new hires is not flexible enough to maintain a good work/life balance x (in 11 reviews)

1. "Family company"

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

Family feel, flying benefits, managers willing to invest in continuing education and conferences.

Cons

Aging IT systems, some departments have chaotic processes, sometimes have to deal with egos (but most people are awesome)

2. "Employees come last"

Current Employee - Flight A
    Current Employee - Flight A

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good flying benefits (Even though often times you wouldn't be able to get on).
    7% 401k match (Not too bad since they don't care about being the best).
    Good health insurance plans.
    Stock purchase plan program is a bless
    Being par of a union is the best thing, without it ti would have been much worse than it already is.

Cons

Management doesn't really care about employees (Anything else you hear is just propaganda), all what they care about is saving few cents extra even if they need to wear out the crew.
    Management, especially Seattle base, are encouraging spreading the culture of telling on each other instead of creating a nice working atmosphere. Incredibly toxic culture.
    If you are gonna join this company, you really need to watch your back, some manager's sole responsibilities are to find a reason to fire people.
    Management believes they are one of the best companies to work for, and this will actually not happen until they realize that it actually isn't.

Advice to Management

Stop paying people less than they deserve. Reward people for the their contribution in your success (Reward all employees not by making them throw their names in the hat and reward one person).

3. "Not worth the time"

Current Employee - Reservations Agent
    Current Employee - Reservations Agent

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great travel benefits, friendly coworkers, quality training program

Cons

24/7 operation, new hires receive awful hours, complex computer programs to learn, management more likely to throw you under the bus rather than be there for you, agents are under constant surveillance (timed breaks, web cam on your computer, leadership listening in on your calls), extremely strict daily schedule requirements, very high turnover, customers really only call because they have a problem, virtually zero opportunity to move up beyond call center manager, mandatory overtime, due to time the nature of the work and environment you don't have an opportunity to socialize with any other employees, feels like 1984.

I needed a job and I've been in the aviation industry for quite some time. I should have researched the nature of this work more thoroughly before I started training. There were a few red flags along the way that I figured I would share for anybody researching this company and job before they sign the paperwork. They boast that they are growing very rapidly as a company and they on a hiring spree, but my training class has 30+ people, and they had a new class start one week after mine did. Prior to my start date, they had a class just finishing up with the same number of new hires. 90 new employees within the span of a month... Growth or high turnover? My bet is on the latter now that I know what this job entails. My guess is that people make it 6-12 months into this job before they jump ship due to the hours, management, and strict nature of the work. The work from home option is temping for people for various reasons, but trust me, working from home will be precisely the same as coming to the call center (aside from the commute). They monitor you at your home via drop in listening and webcam (skype). They time your breaks and lunch at home the same way they time you in the call center. It's difficult to feel like you're being watched the entire time you're at work and it's exhausting. I feel mentally drained most days I come home from work. Oddly enough, sitting in front of a computer fatigues me after eight hours.

My advice to you, job seeker, is to find another way to make money. For the amount of stress, time, and effort you put into this job, you will likely make more and be happier at another job.

Good luck!

Advice to Management

Don't really have any recommendations. It's a call center and I don't think you can operate it with the same efficiency any other way. It just isn't the culture or environment that I look for in a job. The travel benefits are fantastic, but they won't keep me at this job if I'm presented with another opportunity that is a bit more flexible and has a better work/life ratio.

"Reservations Agent"

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, travel benefits, great health care

Cons

Overtime is mandatory if you do not volunteer

Advice to Management

Engage employees and be present

"Great company"

I have been working at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

Free flight benefits, free medical for yourself.

Cons

Very low pay, not comparable to other airlines.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay.

"Lots of Change For the Better"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great hometown company and Great CEO.

Cons

Education means very little, tenure means more. I left because I didn't want to wait another 20 years to get the position I deserved. Within six months of leaving, I was at a title and salary fitting my education and experience.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and value employees who do good work.

"Enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Airline Customer Service Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Airline Customer Service Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Standby travel perks, fun co-workers and passengers, opportunity to move within different areas of the company and retain seniority and pay.

Cons

Difficult passengers and weather or mechanical delays. A lot of mid level managers. Discipline for being sick.

"Great Company, Demanding Industry"

I worked at Alaska Airlines full-time

Pros

Great company and core values. Values and acknowledges employees for their hard work.

Cons

Starting at the bottom of the barrel is demanding, physically and emotionally... best suited for a single person with no social life or family obligations as it can and WILL control your life until some seniority is gained.

"CSA lead"

I have been working at Alaska Airlines part-time

Pros

It's a great company with great guests

Cons

I would say at the station the management could be better for vendors that Rep Alaska

Advice to Management

Make sure you are hiring someone who is culturally well rounded .

"On-call Boardroom Concierge LAX"

Current Employee - Boardroom Concierge-LAX in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Boardroom Concierge-LAX in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Alaska Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many benefits but these are the top:
    Travel benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Friendly co-workers
    Free parking
    Free uniforms
    Understanding management

Cons

Not many cons yet. Opening/ closing shifts arent the best, 30 Days of training, no access to other airline discount because of on call status. (There are only 3 or 4 additional airlines available to on call employees)