Alaska Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Alaska Communications President, CEO, and Director Anand Vadapalli
Anand Vadapalli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • in the union, it pays relatively well and work/life balance is positive (in 3 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good local teammates (in 3 reviews)

1. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Pros

The company has good values and the employees do care. When the union and company work together as a team, the company rocks.

Cons

Certain middle management only look after themselves. They take credit for others thoughts and accomplishments. They don't share information.

Advice to Management

Work on your communication. It should flow both directions. Team work is vital. Fix your sales department. Be realistic.

2. "Hope for Union"

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leave policy nothing that great to be honest, I couldn't even come up with any more words to hit the minimum

Cons

Everything for the most part. The leadership is poor and try to make it seem amazing because they are payed well while the worker bees make nothing.

Advice to Management

Micro manage less, treat employees like people

3. "Intern"

Pros

Professional and fun environment, everyone was very approachable,

Cons

There is nothing particularly negative about this company.

4. "Very employee focused company"

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented, career development, support executive team, fun, great pay and allows for a work life balance for families with children.

Cons

Nothing to complain about great company

"Great people amidst poor synergy."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and a very comfortable work place. Upward mobility is there for people who seek it.

Cons

Complete lack of cross department communication. Team building activities are non existent. Client needs are often overlooked for sack of sales initiatives. Products are pushed and proposed with little to no experience among the sales team on their purpose in the client environment.

Advice to Management

Manage more and find way to keep employees engaged in a focused company mission, that is known, so that employees guide their actions on company vision, not personal gain.

6. "Decent job, good benefits, but management was"

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging job that constantly pushed my understanding of technology. Great coworkers that were knowledgeable and willing to help. Benefits were great including paying for classes and certifications.

Cons

Constantly micromanaged. Too many bosses to report to. Documentation was hit or miss and could make jobs more difficult than needed

Advice to Management

Empower your technicians/engineers and hire managers that are technically inclined and understand the jobs inside and out.

"Current Employee"

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time

Pros

Development is a positive. They are trying to train people. Culture is a con but listing it here as they are trying to improve. Flexible time off where there is no longer set hours of PTO for non-represented people. This is huge provided you can get your manager to approve it.

Cons

Pay is not competitive enough, advancement opportunities lacking, Management says one thing and does another. Office politics are rampant. If management makes bad decisions with regards to profit, their employees pay the price. Lack of recognition or the wrong people recognized. Say they value employees but the actions they take that are decided behind closed doors say otherwise.

"Lots of potential, but lot's of problems too."

I have been working at Alaska Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay well, and they generally do a good job of supporting the end customer

Cons

1. Career growth opportunities are extremely limited and they don't invest in their people. They say they do, but in my experience it is lip service only.

2. Compensation is pretty good, but benefits are getting worse. We used to have stock grants, but not anymore. We also used to have a defined vacation policy which is now "unlimited" and what "unlimited" means isn't well defined. This ambiguity means that most people are reluctant to take time off. Management said they enacted the unlimited vacation policy "for" the employees, but they really did it to free up cash. My accrued time is allegedly banked and be paid out at a fraction of what those hours are worth.

3. work life balance is difficult here. My supervisor and his supervisor will call on weekends & evenings, and there is an unwritten expectation that you are available during time off.

4. Senior management appear to be more interested in playing politics than working together. They are also scared of the CEO who runs the company in an autocratic fashion. The CEO says he cares, but rarely interacts with the employees. He doesn't even live in Alaska anymore.

5. The culture is toxic with heavy micromanagement, and little in the way of accountability. Most decisions are made to cover one's backside and to protect ones' bonus than doing the right thing.

Advice to Management

Quit paying lip service and invest in your people in a quantitative fashion. Empower your people to make decisions.

9. "I really enjoyed working there"

Former Employee - SSAI in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - SSAI in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had an awesome lead, regular pay raises every 6 months

Cons

I really have no complaints

10. "Alaska Communications"

Former Employee - Network Operations Center Junior Specialist in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Network Operations Center Junior Specialist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Alaska Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Great People to work with ... I wish them all luck for the future.

Cons

No downsides to working at Alaska Communications

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.