Alaska DOT&PF Reviews | Glassdoor

Alaska DOT&PF Reviews

Updated Aug 1, 2019

Found 14 reviews

4.1
Alaska DOT&PF CEO Marc A. Luiken (no image)
Marc A. Luiken
  1. "High caliber professional engineers creating high value designs for Alaskan infrastructure."

Current Employee - AutoCAD Drafter in Fairbanks, AK

I have been working at Alaska DOT&PF full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Productive office environment with high levels of respect for all. Progressive in terms of gender and race equality.

Cons

There are no cons except occasional reshuffling of work spaces.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Alaska DOT&PF2018-08-28
  2. "Benefits great, wages below standard, management ..."

Current Employee - EA3

I have been working at Alaska DOT&PF full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Health insurance managed by the union and is great.

Cons

Some job categories and departments are considered disposable and abusive work conditions result from this reality. Annual pink slips during previous administration and promise to fire all non-critical employees, 375 positions, and replace as needed with consultants, temps, and out of state laborers. Turnover is huge, empty positions growing and not being filled.

Alaska DOT&PF2019-08-02
  3. "Excellent work place"

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and good work life balance

Cons

Advancement path is limited depending on position

Alaska DOT&PF2019-05-16
  4. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF full-time

Pros

Excellent mission in serving the public of Alaska. Great benefits and salaries.

Cons

Effective communication, or communication in general, is something you may have to continuously and actively pursue.

Advice to Management

When they are needed, assist in the success of each encumbant by incorporating functioning training strategies and plans. // Remember that all employees have value and something positive to offer for the overall success of the team and mission.

Alaska DOT&PF2018-02-16
  5. "Needs improvement before I'd work there again"

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great PTO and good benefits. Enjoyed working there overall, and got some absolutely awesome experience. Good training opportunities.

Cons

Poor response to sexual harassment in the workplace. Some jobs require long hours with some "creative" timekeeping to avoid OT rules in the current political climate, or travel, the expenses for which is almost never completely covered. Promotion opportunities are severely curtailed in the current political environment.

Advice to Management

MUST reform how sexual harassment cases are handled. It wasn't what led to me leaving, but it was something I observed on several occasions, and it did contribute to my decision to seek work elsewhere. I knew one person who reported her supervisor for sexual harassment and *assault*. They delayed investigating him months until he "retired", then fired her at the end of the "probationary period" she was in because... she had recently gotten a promotion. He's now working again for someone else who doesn't know about the accusations, and she struggled to find work for months while going through arbitration. I had another friend be sexually harassed by several other inspectors and contractors' employees she worked with. It took several complaints from her to get anyone to even give them a lecture, despite the fact several of them literally exposed themselves to her (as a "joke" everyone but her seemed to think was funny).

Alaska DOT&PF2017-11-08
  6. "Great place to work"

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF full-time

Pros

Great benefits, really good people who care about their work, varied work

Cons

It's a state government department, so that does mean a lot of bureaucracy sometimes.

Alaska DOT&PF2017-06-21
  7. "Flagger"

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF

Pros

Great management, good hours, and good money!

Cons

At times the hours can be overwhelming and breaks are limited!

Alaska DOT&PF2017-04-23
  8. "Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Alaska DOT&PF

Pros

The Department of Transportation has a very friendly and constructive work environment, coworkers are flexible and accommodating and it truly feels like working on a team.

Cons

I did not find that there were any real downsides to working at the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities

Advice to Management

Keep hiring interns, in engineering and in other disciplines because it is a valuable resource to students looking for work experience. It is also a good idea for the employer because it establishes a path forward for recent graduates who can continue to work at DOT if the relationship is mutually beneficial.

Alaska DOT&PF2016-08-01
  9. "Construction EAII"

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF full-time

Pros

Lots of hours in the summer Great experience in Alaskan outdoors Part of an organization making an impact on the state Very flexible with winter vacation

Cons

Winters can be very slow Working out of town for the summer can be hard with a family

Alaska DOT&PF2016-02-08
  10. "Logistics Analyst Intern at the airport"

I worked at Alaska DOT&PF

Pros

Learned a lot because I was working closely with executive board member. Feeling dedicated and empowered at work. Even thought it was unpaid internship, the data and experience are valued at most.

Cons

Sometimes, you might feel lost; because there is no specific tasks given from upper management.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and make a department for global logistics and supply chain data intelligence

Alaska DOT&PF2015-11-23