Alaska Native Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Alaska Native Medical Center Reviews

2.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Certified nurse's assistant"

Former Employee - CNA in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - CNA in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay with lots of benefits

Cons

Little time off and could not fit life around schedule

Advice to Management

None to say at all at this moment in time

2. "Great Company with the correct personnel"

Former Employee - Senior Instructional Design Specialist QUALIFICATIONS in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alaska was beautiful and there are some genuine people there - for those genuine ones, it's a great place to work

Cons

...but the bad managers far outweigh the good ones. ANMC has too much reliance on people who are not Alaska Natives and these people are disingenuous - refusing to adhere to cultural and diverse norms.

Advice to Management

Do your due diligence before you hire human resources personnel who are untrained and stop with the nepotism' then hold violators accountable

3. "Give long term employees tenure from Native preference"

Former Employee - Anchorage, AK Associate Decision Support Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement. Great company with a fantastic mission.

Cons

Native preference. No respect for the employees with 10 plus years to the AK Native population. The benefits are expensive!

Advice to Management

I understand the need to promote the native population but you can't do it alone. Use your long term employees. Don't limit them because they aren't Alaska Native. You hurt yourself because those employees are there because they care not because of the benefits.

4. "Great place to work if Alaska Native"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are very supportive to Alaska Natives and their family, the "Customer Owners" are given great care and assisted through the process of treatment and needs assessment like no other place I have seen.

Cons

IF you are not Alaska Native then as an employee you are expendable and ill supported, I have seen many examples of favoritism and nepotism.

Advice to Management

Hire good people that will stay and improve your facility, it is great to encourage and grow the expertise of Alaska Native but at the expense of the community and employees is not appropriate.

"Disorganized and top heavy"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10 paid holidays/year.
    Always open positions.

Cons

Always open positions. No funds for education. Unit educator does not perform education for unit. No consistant orientation for new staff on unit. Sink or swim. ANTHC Nurse recruiter is either incompetent or lies. Understaffed on regular basis. Can't get/keep experienced staff. Overstaffed with inexperienced/new nurses...not a good mix of knowledge. Pay is significantly less than other 2 hospitals in the area. Too many in management positions, with no one understanding what the other is doing. Very disorganized. Constantly running out of supplies and central supply says they don't know when new stock will come in. How can you run out of blood pressure cuffs????

It is ran like other government agencies- too many people in management/administrative positions and a huge waste of resources, money and otherwise.

Advice to Management

Run the hospital like other successful hospitals, cut management staff, either pay educators to educate their units or get rid of them.

6. "AK NATIVE MED CENTER"

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well trained staff. Continuing Ed supported.

Cons

Natives by law are considered first for promotions.

7. "Very hostile work environment"

I worked at Alaska Native Medical Center full-time

Pros

The pay was pretty good, health insurance was good and there wasn't a long waiting period for it, location near University Lake is nice.

Cons

Incredibly hostile work environment in the pharmacy. I hope things have changed, but unless the management has changed, I don't see how that's possible. Nepotism and workplace bullying reigned supreme there. Most of my co-workers were anxious and distrustful because there was so much workplace intrigue. We literally were told that we weren't allowed to sit down, which is cruel, unrealistic, and bad for your health. Absolutely the worst place I've ever worked. There were a lot of nice people working there, and I hope they've moved on to better situations too.

Advice to Management

End the nepotism. If a department has high turnover, it just might be that the management is terrible. Create a more inclusive, friendly workplace culture.