Alaska Pacific University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2017

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Outdoor Studies Department | Equipment Room Manager"

Former Employee - Equipment Room Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Equipment Room Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Pacific University (More than a year)

Pros

Great to have work location on-campus. Pay is higher than some others since you deal with a budget. Your supervisor will be one of your instructors, so if you get along well and are highly professional in your duties then it's great! You're trusted to be very independent and take the initiative to get work done as it's needed. My last year of employment was 2012. There was no option to choose lower than 2013.

Cons

Hours for this position can be limiting. There is a lot to do, but it's nice to hold a different job to get more hours (money) if you need it. Can be lonely since you'll probably be working in a room all by yourself most, if not all the time.

Advice to Management

I had no issues with management. They were mostly hands-free and let me take care of my duties as I saw fit. They were always available for advice as well.

2. "Director of Admissions"

Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Pacific University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative challenges
    Changes daily
    Work with students
    i get to do a lot of design work that I enjoy
    Event planning

Cons

Lacking leadership
    No accountability
    Low morale
    Too many responsibilities - wear too many hats and stretched far too thin.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable for their actions or inaction
    Increase transparency and communication. Even if the update is that you don't have new information, employees want to know what is going on in their institution.

3. "Great culture and community"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Alaska Pacific University full-time

Pros

Good people who truly care about education. Low stress environment.

Cons

Private and nonprofit doesn't leave a lot of profit for growth. Enjoy the pace but don't expect your resume to flourish.

Advice to Management

Recruiting new students isn't an strategy, it's an outcome. Develop strategies to facilitate that outcome, grow your strengths and convert negative stakeholders to reduce inertia.

5. "Run far, far away!"

Former Employee - Staff
    Former Employee - Staff

I worked at Alaska Pacific University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are generally friendly, and so are the students! Tuition benefit is nice, but they don't extend benefits to partners like the state schools.

Cons

I had a little bit of flexibility taking classes, but the senior management never made it easy. Low pay compared to all other universities. The employee benefits got more and more expensive on my end/ worse for the employee during my years there. The senior management is pretty dysfunctional, and I'm amazed they haven't been sued yet. They are very distrustful of good employees.

At one point the HR lady asked me what prescriptions I was on. She also asked my former boss if she was married and had children, during her interview. I've heard they have a better HR person now, who actually knows the HR standards.

Advice to Management

The current president is destroying APU. I've watched as no less than 20 very capable employees have jumped ship in the last 3-5 years. It's long past the time to find a better university president, who recognizes APU's strengths and doesn't try to make it fit a mold he has in his head. It hasn't worked yet.

6. "Mosely Desk Girl 2010"

Current Employee - Mosley Front Desk in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Mosley Front Desk in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Alaska Pacific University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work
    Very chill
    Able to complete homework while on duty
    Good experience with office organizational duties
    Great for people new to the school - good way to meet new people

Cons

The only con I can think of was that compensation was not great - but this was a work study position for me