Albuquerque Public Schools Reviews in New Mexico | Glassdoor

New Mexico

2.8
Raquel Reedy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Benefits, depends on who you work for, what department, etc (in 3 reviews)

• The opportunity to "make a difference" in children's lives (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The Sub office doesn't do much about this, and there seems to be a real disconnect between Sub services and the school district (in 4 reviews)

• It appears to be much like other very large school systems; is very top heavy (in 3 reviews)

1. "Substitute Services"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Albuquerque Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll have jobs every day if you need/want them. The online sub system is easy to use. Payroll is on time and I have had no issues. Sub services is patient with phone calls. Some schools are a pleasure to work in.

Cons

It doesn't matter if you have more than one degree, they won't pay you better than a person with a bachelors. The certification process is full of red tape, and everyone complains about it.
    Some schools (not all) will not value a sub, regardless of your education level. The Sub office doesn't do much about this, and there seems to be a real disconnect between Sub services and the school district.
    Substitute teaching is not a long term solution. It doesn't pay well (you could get more at a coffee shop), and they offer no incentives to stay. Basically this is a position you do when you can't find anything else....and that's not how it should be approached.

Advice to Management

You need better communication with the district. People with multiple degrees should be valued in the district, yet their is no incentive to stay in this position. Most of the schools I go to are disrespectful to the subs.
    I don't understand why there are not meetings to address issues. We are a company with employees. Why is it such a difficult thing to ask for proper communication?

2. "Educational Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Albuquerque Public Schools part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have taken my mother to all of her doctor's appointment and the staff at Presbyterian have always been cheerful, kind, respectful, and caring to us! I can definitely see the TEAM WORK that this company offers their employees! I would be honored to join the team!

Cons

I cannot think of any!

Advice to Management

EXCELLENT WORK WITH YOUR STAFF!

3. "School Nurse"

Former Employee - School Nurse in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - School Nurse in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Albuquerque Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

The children make the job enjoyable. The job is petty much autonomous. Very satisfying work. It's never boring and there's always enough work to keep you busy.

Cons

Parents who should take more responsibility to get paperwork done. The beginning of the year paperwork is simple, it just needs to be turned in.

Advice to Management

You do a good job. The number meetings could be kept to a minimal. There's enough work at the school to keep your nurses working all day.

4. "Educator"

Former Employee - Teacher in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Albuquerque Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with students and helping to inspire and empower them to become life-long learners is the best feeling ever! Privileged to work with extremely dedicated, intelligent, and motivating colleagues. Our Superintendent is doing a remarkable job coming into a difficult and demanding situation.

Cons

The state educational system needs a serious overhaul...teachers are bound by endless responsibilities and regulations that seriously cripples creativity and innovation. Continuous testing is demoralizing and demeaning to students. Teachers need to have Time to Teach! Unfortunately, our schools are at the mercy of the State Legislative process and the needs of the schools are not high on their priority list.

Advice to Management

Respect your teachers! Take away the endless testing and let teachers teach creatively so that all students are motivated to learn. Too much time is spent on "teaching to the test" which totally eliminates other avenues of learning. Some students already feel like failures by the third grade! Honor the teacher contracts and if it states "10 sick days" then don't penalize them for taking them when they truly need to heal. Then it is a Win Win. Teachers and students come to school at their best and ready to learn.

"Substitute teacher for 3 years"

Current Freelancer - Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Freelancer - Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Albuquerque Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

The kids can be so rewarding, some teachers and staff are so grateful for the extra 'hands on' help you can provide.

Cons

Unbelievably low compensation, respect, appreciation for how much you need to do - especially if you take on a 'long-term' assignment. Very little communication or help.

Advice to Management

Watching the leaders (principals, teachers, staff) yell at children, make them feel 'bad' for talking or asking questions, or just being kids... just kills me. No positive posters on walls, and certainly telling me to 'keep quiet' when I, as the teacher, raised concerns about the 3rd grade kids who desperately needed interventions or extra help - just proved why you are ranked so low and have so many serious problems. Just glad my kids did not go to APS

6. "Not focused on education/students, Undervalued"

Former Employee - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Albuquerque Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid summers is a great perk. Kid energy is fantastic. Some colleagues have heart and are supportive/fun. Getting off work early afternoon can be nice.

Cons

Low, low pay for high expectations. HR is very rude & condescending, so not super helper. No loyalty or respect between some colleagues.

Advice to Management

Please open your mind to listening to educators & being open to supporting this thankful profession. No wonder you're so understaffed! The children are the ones suffering from your lack of professionalism & inhumane incompetence.

7. "Just Ok"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Albuquerque Public Schools part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a substitute, my schedule was very flexible.

Cons

The pay was very low and there was no clear communication with management.

8. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Albuquerque Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

It has flexibility in hours and days.

Cons

The pay is not very good.

"They try, but there are systemic problems"

Former Employee - Human Resources Staffer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Human Resources Staffer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Albuquerque Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had some coworkers who were kind, friendly and truly tried to do their best for the employees, knowing that in the end, the students would benefit from happy employees. Benefits and salary are good for Albuquerque.

Cons

They have a very hard time getting rid of problem employees. Supervisors don't seem to want to take the time to document and address problems so that there is enough evidence to terminate, and occasionally, someone says they can't terminate an employee even when all of the documentation is there. It's REALLY bad for morale. There is no progression plan, training opportunities are minimal, and the constant budget cuts definitely take their toll on administrative staff. Also, the administration building is shut down between Christmas and New Year and no one can work, but exempt employees are required to take leave to cover these days or accrue enough extra hours (overtime) to cover these days. I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Advice to Management

Grow a backbone and get rid of problem employees. Find a way to reward and encourage current staff even if you can't give raises.

10. "Teaching with APS"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Albuquerque Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a teacher, the pros are working with the students and having time off in the summer.

Cons

Poor and inconsistent management and leadership, poor pay, low morale.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, change the atmosphere and working conditions to encourage retention.