Alcoa "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Alcoa Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Aug 14, 2018

3.9
Alcoa President and Chief Executive Officer Roy Harvey
Roy Harvey
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Alcoa"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Good management environment and teamwork

Cons

Lack of oversight from some members of upper management

Alcoa2018-02-11
  2. "Management"

I worked at Alcoa full-time

Pros

Good benefits , great schedule hours

Cons

Upper management lack of education, friends covered back of friends.

Alcoa2018-08-14

"Slowly going downhill"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and learning experience

Cons

Too much mandatory overtime and horrible communication and organization from upper management

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your employees and follow team leaders to understand what is actually going on

Alcoa2017-10-28

"If you are looking to be valued, look somewhere else..."

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

health care benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401K match

Cons

no leadership and terrible management; good ol' boy system - promotions (which are hard to come by here) are given out to those that say "yes" to everything and are willing to hide certain things in order to show upper management that everything is alright; majority of people hired are external and are not qualified for the role

Advice to Management

Start kicking the wrong people off the bus and putting the right people on the bus - keeping incompetent and lazy people around is only going to make the good ones run out the door that much faster

Alcoa2017-08-10
  5. "Employment"

I worked at Alcoa full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Nice Wage Potential, Strong Safety Program and lots of employee involvement.

Cons

Some locations don't walk the talk. Employees opinions are often not given as much credibility as that of upper management.

Advice to Management

More Respect to your workers and their service, dedication, and efforts they provide to the company.

Alcoa2017-02-01

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Point Comfort, TX

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people to work with at the lower levels - Eng, Supervisors, etc

Cons

Upper management is horrible at the Corporate level

Advice to Management

Would you want to be treated in the manner as to which you have treated us.

Alcoa2016-07-11
  7. "Rapid changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, many locations

Cons

Upper management is not in touch with the challenges at the locations. Can easily get burned out.

Advice to Management

Managers are employees too, in terms of Employee Engagement. Most managers pencil-whip GVS surveys in fear of speaking up.

Alcoa2016-05-13
  8. "Alcoa"

I have been working at Alcoa

Pros

Good maintenance practice intentions, there is a good grasp on what should be done on a reliability standpoint.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management. Supervisors are so overworked they can't supervise their employees properly.

Advice to Management

Need training program, better pay, more written procedures and follow through by supervisors.

Alcoa2016-04-22
  9. "Engineering"

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Being a large corporation it is able to offer substantial compensation packages. They offer a decent benefits package, BC/BS (employees pay higher than the National norm) but never the less it is offered. Also they work with local communities and donate to many worthy charitable causes.

Cons

Also being a large corporation employee recognition gets lost or there is none. Upper management/board has fallen away from some core business needs in regards to employees. C.S.R. (Corporate Social Responsibility) has been, within my current studies of Business Administration the company acts nearly 100% within the "shareholder/stockholder management approach. True a business needs to place emphasis on... profit/sales in respect to the key stakeholders thereof but if we lose sight of the true business model to incorporate "ALL" stakeholders into the business model. Some of the key employee stakeholders are disrespected or lost which ultimately hurts the business integrity motto.

Advice to Management

Stop! Take a look at your entire operating system, do not simply stop at the middle management level and take their word for why our business is at it current standing. Top level management i.e. executive level CEO, VP's etc. need to start and take time to get to know "ALL" your employees (to the floor). For years this has come to be an acceptable practice/form and in my opinion needs change. Within my current... studies of Social Environment of Business, Business Law, Project Management and a few others we, Alcoa, need to step back and re-educate all levels of management and get a perspective from "ALL" stakeholders within not just the middle management level. Employees will give 110% to a business model if they truly feel appreciated and feel that there is hope of advancement. Today's society wants education, good but how can one obtain this level. Many factors affect this level required to continue their education: a.) they have to pay for it out b.) they have to work overtime(most levels mandatory). And then there are these out liners what of the employees that have extensive knowledge/experience(i.e. Alcoa Learn) but are overlooked due to "corporate policy". Some of the older top management, engineers etc. have no degree (or not related too) but have been recognized in years past and promoted yet with today's policy it isn't allowed. Yes, true not everyone can be promoted but within today's business modeling a selective few could be from merit. Today's businesses/companies have so many great assets right under their wings but overlook this true value within and in the end lose these valuable resources.

Alcoa2016-03-15
  10. "Sr Reliability/PDM Technician"

Current Employee - Senior ELECTRICAL Reliability Technician in Port Lavaca, TX

I have been working at Alcoa full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company really tries to make sure the employees are trained and provides excellent benefits. Really enjoyed my experience with Alcoa except the plant I am working at is shutting down.

Cons

Upper Management has made some very critical decisions and the plant I am working at has been affected drastically. The split of Alcoa has shown European Corporate decision making at its finest. Upper Management is heartless when it comes to "grass roots" of a corporation. Our plant has shown it can be profitable and upper management has been harsh and irrational.

Alcoa2016-03-03