Alcon Reviews in Huntington, WV | Glassdoor

Michael Ball

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great first job"

Former Employee - Engineer in Huntington, WV

I worked at Alcon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Career growth and flexible career options. I was contacted for new internal positions all the time.
    2. Friendly people
    3. Dedication and pride of employees to provide the best eye care
    4. Some projects were fast-paced, contrary to popular belief about the medical device industry. The challenge was to get work done by employees who were used to a slow pace.

Cons

1. Salary
    2. Only some managers are very smart
    3. Lot of churn in projects

Advice to Management

Continue to invest more in R&D and keep up the great work!

Feb 13, 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to review us. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

"R&D Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Huntington, WV

I worked at Alcon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits.

Good 401k matching.

Cons

Culture. Constant ego matches in R&D. Low accountability and large amounts of politics. Individuals in positions of power are not knowledgeable and cannot lead.

High turnover

Annual merit increases does not beat inflation. The longer you work here the more behind you get.

Advice to Management

Be more approachable. Invest in your direct reports and they will invest in the organization. Worry less about how you look to your boss and worry more about doing what is right for our patients.

Mar 28, 2017

Thank you for your review. Your honest feedback is what will help us improve.

"Forced Overtime"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Huntington, WV

I worked at Alcon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with - Many different jobs/departments to be moved to - Nice clean building/grounds to work in.

Cons

Management micromanages - Many managers don't even know or have done the jobs they're managing - Overtime if forced on workers even if they don't want/need it

Advice to Management

Learn your job before you try to tell someone else how to do it. In many cases, that worker knows 100 percent more about the job than you do.

Oct 18, 2016

Thank you for your feedback and review.

4. "More than exceeded at my job but fell into a system that doesn't pay off for employees"

Current Employee - Production Technician in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Alcon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good start to career with great benefits. Awesome 20 cent pay raises once a year that really help you buy a soda pop every now and then for you and your family. Maybe even a pack of gum.

Cons

Hard work will never pay off here. Doesn't matter how many hours or how hard you work it doesn't pay off. My first year, experienced employees that have already been through the system told me to stop busting my butt because they have seen it too many times and it doesn't help at all.
    One of the hardest working and honest employees there. I have been lied to multiple times by my "higher ups" to the point where it drove me to hate my job.

Advice to Management

Keep your good employees that make a difference at that place! Not the ones that complain everyday about the company and hate their job.

5. "Awesome products, need management styles updated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, WV

I worked at Alcon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best products on the market

Cons

Slow to bring on technology
    Need automation
    Little career and development opportunities
    Middle Management behavior needs improved

Advice to Management

Invest in both technology and your employees. We will work our guts out if we feel like we are important.

6. "It has been a bright 20 years. A lot of changes with new owner. Some slack in leadership."

Current Employee - Production Spec I in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Spec I in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Alcon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and clean place to work

Cons

Lack of leadership with all the changes going on.

Advice to Management

Place a strong leader and put all new rules in writing so all will know what they are. Peole have concerns for their jobs, and there are no real answers.

"Alcon......yep, I was there."

Former Employee - Production Technician in Lesage, WV
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Lesage, WV

I worked at Alcon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security if you have no brain.

Cons

Mindless work....pick up the lens....put the lens down

Advice to Management

Quit screwing the help.

8. "A great company with a lot of opportunities to grow."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Alcon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and health coverage, tons of job growth potentials, great and friendly people.

Cons

Paper work and software systems can be annoying to use.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a network for new employees that they can use to meet new people and get to know the area they are moving to. Set up activities they all can do together, cook outs, etc.

"Too many supervisors per shift and no area of responsibility"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Huntington, WV

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Pension plan is good as well as the cost of benefits. Everyone is committed to the product and the patient.

Cons

No true area of responsibility therefore no clear expectations for a supervisor. Managers continue to operate in their own silo. Promotions are just give to hand picked individuals. Plant manager does not hold managers accountable for poor output and yields.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in exceptional talent and not utilizing them to their fullest. Get more cross functional teams and attack the production problems with some outside the box thinking.

"It's all about sucking up."

Current Employee - Production Tech IV in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Production Tech IV in Huntington, WV

Pros

401k is the only reason to stick it out for 5 years. You get 100% match for every dollar. The medical and dental benefits are also outstanding. Granted this is all for the moment. The pay for around here is also top notch if you can stick around for awhile.

Cons

Wow where to begin? It seems as though ALL senior management at Alcon was picked because they're very weak and afraid. If someone makes a mistake after doing something 1000 times a day they won't stop and tell the employee. They'll purposely allow the employee to continue to make the same mistake so they can use it as a means to have you fired. This isn't the case for everyone however. If you've told your uppers how "swell" you think they are, you're still not going places...but they won't try to set you up as much. At some point Alcon (Huntington branch) decided to start punishing those that work the hardest and rewarded those that do the least. I couldn't understand it until recently when I realized the plan is this; If you're a supervisor, you let someone do ALL the work to make your quota's of lenses you're expected to do per job. That way it looks as though you're responsible for their output. However once they show that they are going to continue to grow then you do everything in your power to have them fired or suspended, just whatever it takes to drag their name through the mud. That way they can't take your job, that position is already set and when the time is right the ones that suck up and do little to no work will take that position. Because they're the easiest to manipulate by corporate at Ft.Worth.

Also there was quite a large drug problem up until recently when a few employees were let go or demoted and sent somewhere else.

Best way to sum up Alcon is one employee was quoted as saying "for the love of god I just want to work. I just want to sit here and do my job and make these lenses but they won't stop harassing me."

and by "they" they meant upper management.

Advice to Management

quit and let someone with a brain take over. Learn how to do math. If you subtract employees (fire them) you can't raise the numbers on the rest of us and then be confused as to why we can't meet the expectations. Subtraction DOES NOT add more.