Alder Biopharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 12, 2019

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Supportive Management & Positive Culture"

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since the changes in Exec's last year, the company culture has maintained for now. Peers are still excited to be part of a ground breaking small biotech. Some have left but not because of management. There is a work-life balance and the people are kind. Great new enthusiastic CEO.

Cons

Out with the old and in with the new exec's....TBD. Some of the old perks are no longer. We even had a summer book club.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and please maintain the good and kind culture that built this business. Take value in your employees and get to know them. Value them, and they will value you and climb mountains for you.

"A small but determined company where all staff make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to know everyone, phase 3 drug with a BLA filing coming soon, really fun launch phase where there is a lot of growth

Cons

Conserving resources for launch which means everyone pitches in to contribute.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating to all staff as we grow

"Great company, people and benefits"

Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Alder is a small company so it's possible for individuals to make a big impact here. Senior management cares about the employees and usually will know you by name.

The management team does a good job of keeping staff up to date, which is appreciated since we're trying to bring our first drug to market in a competitive environment.

The benefits here are great - better than most places I've worked. No health care premium, 5% match for the 401k, stock options and grants, ESPP, gym memberships covered, etc. All of those extras make a real difference in your total compensation.

Cons

Alder's small size sometimes means we have limited resources. This can make it harder to get things done but also leads to creativity in how we approach our work.

Advice to Management

Continue to be as transparent as possible with staff about the state of the company and what is needed for our success.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked at! The benefits are amazing, 100% paid health care for entire family, free food - breakfast, lunch, and snacks, food trucks, nice gifts and parties. Opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Some of the managers can limit career opportunities and advancement

Advice to Management

As the company grows try to maintain the "family" culture that people value

5. "Bad place to work; watch out for HR"

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A week off between Christmas and New Year's.

Cons

Huge disparity in the way employees are treated. If you are not a "favorite" of HR, don't ever expect to be recognized or promoted.

Advice to Management

Do a thorough review of senior management. Purge where necessary, starting with HR. It is toxic.

6. "Nice wages and great benefits!"

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with and culture here is great! The benefits are very comprehensive.

Cons

There is no clear career path. Lacking internal job postings.

"Work if you need the money, not if you want a future"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They give us free food and coffee

Cons

There is no development of current employees. You have literally no career path for growth or advancement. After many years, I have not once been recognized for anything.

Advice to Management

Get better management. Actually pay attention to employees

8. "Happy but Sad"

I have been working at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, great people! Perks to keep you happy!

Cons

Future seems unsure. I have worked with a Biotech company that was bought out, so I guess my job always feels unsecured. Not much room to grow within the company.

"Benefits are great, but watch your back"

I worked at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Benefits are outstanding. There is everything from ice cream to an espresso machine as well as excellent dental/health/vision coverage.

Cons

The outstanding benefits are used in a way such that it keeps everyone in line. It's like throwing money at a problem instead of finding a solution to the problem.

Advice to Management

This is mostly for HR, but listen to your employees. We are human just like you. If we could to you with a problem, listen. Don't throw us under the bus because you like to be in control and you have spies that have dirt on everyone.

"Disappointing changes with disorganized leadership and some nasty infighting"

I worked at Alder Biopharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good drug developed by team, some very nice people who have been with company for a long time, challenging work

Cons

Company hired a chief commercial officer who is downright nasty...sent emails to my fellow employees that degraded and harrassed them, made verbal statements that were arrogant and designed to attack...she was a real downer and the talk among many of us. When we spoke up about concerns, managemnt did not seem to care.

Advice to Management

Recognize you have a problem and address it. Tolerance of the behavior says you do nor care about employees. Do this before others quit in disgust.