Alert Logic Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Alert Logic Chairman & CEO Gray Hall
Gray Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and work environment (in 11 reviews)

• Fun, fast paced work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is affected by poor architectural desitions thAt causes constant fires and last minute changes (in 6 reviews)

• It is a small company growing up and there are growing pains (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast-paced and great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Alert Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

From a business perspective, it would be tough to find a better company than Alert Logic. Network security is becoming more important to every company in the world and not a day goes by without a major news story on various companies being breached and data lost. This company has products that customers around the world love and it continues to grow at a fast pace. From an employee standpoint, I worked there for about five years. The environment is fast paced for sure; but we were always working to improve the product as well as data to better serve the customers. The CEO and executive team are very strong and focus both on the improvement and growth of the company as well as the development of all the staff. They realize the company's greatest asset is its employees. The offices in all cities are nicely put together to provide for a casual workspace and the benefits are equal, or better, than what I've seen elsewhere in the industry.

Cons

As mentioned above, this is a fast-paced company. Change in the world's security environment is constantly changing and the entire Alert Logic team needs to remain nimble and adjust as well. To thrive here, you need to be the type of person that wakes up excited about your job and be willing to work hard, listen and be open to looking at things in a different light.

2. "manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really enjoy working here. People here are very bright and nice. Senior management listens to your ideas and also directs you on how to be effective. Great ideas are shared and implemented.

Cons

Can't think of anything really. Great efforts are meade to enhance employee opportunities. People work together here. Have not seen any bad politics as seen in other companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate our strategy and successes.

"Great company, great people; needs stability at the top"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part about Alert will always be my coworkers. Everyone is extremely smart, talented, helpful, and friendly.

We also still have that startup feel, so it's very laid back (especially on certain floors). As long as you get your work done, there's always time for some relaxation time, whether it's playing videos games in the break room or having nerf wars or just going for a walk to clear your head.

There's also free fruit (some to most days have free food as well), coffee, tea, etc.

There are a lot of ways to build your career. A lot of teams offer financial help for certs and things like that. Also branching out of your current position is always a possibility here.

Cons

Management moves around surprisingly frequently, which means we switch teams often. I've been here 3 years, and although I've only moved teams once, I've moved around 6 times. Some stability would be nice.

Advice to Management

My boss is doing a heck of a job, so I have no issues whatsoever with her. However, some stability at the top would go a long way to making us happier, especially those on other teams.

"Positive & Happy Employee"

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've seen a number of negative reviews on Glassdoor and felt compelled to reply with a positive one. I've been working at Alert Logic for almost two years, and it's been a very positive experience. The onboarding experience was really good. It included a two day information session with presentations by each of the executive leaders. The employees are friendly and very talented. It's a fast paced environment where you have jump in and own your work, but I like the opportunity to make an impact. There seems to be an opportunity to grow and develop. Many employees have been promoted during my time here. The Houston office is very hip with bright orange walls, modern furniture, a exercise gym, nice coffee bars on every floor. I've worked at other companies where you feel unappreciated or like just a number. At Alert Logic, I feel like the work I'm doing matters.

Cons

No major negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep the communications with employees open. Recent employee surveys were very positive, but employees want to hear more about the company and how they can make a positive impact.

"Welcoming environment with lots of growth opportunity in a hot industrty"

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The people. Feels like family from the top down. The CEO and Founder seem to know everyone's name, which is impressive to me and I think sets an example.
    * High degree of transparency, CEO and other senior managers spend 2 hours updating the entire company with performance data, corp strategy, technologies, individual awards and service recognition and lots and lots of opportunity for Q&A
    * Provides lots of opportunities to get into infosec at just about any level with abundance of training options to grow as a subject matter expert and expand in different roles
    * It's great to work for a leader instead of an underdog or old school vendor trying to be relevant in cloud security
    * In my role I can work from home, the office, a coffee shop as long as I am producing and contributing
    * Company ensures that your computer technology, software and services are top quality, with responsive support as well

Cons

* Seems like new employee onboarding and training could be improved

"Broken Promises"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Alert Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are the best I've ever had, willing to share knowledge and teach anyone willing to learn. Team leads were incredible.

Cons

High turnover. Embarrassingly low pay and raises. Promised to offer competitive salary and also to pay for employees to obtain SANS certifications, but failed on both fronts ostensibly to keep costs low. Wishful thinking on IPO. Rarely promotes internally. Some managers have engineering experience but no security or software experience and are mostly in place to keep status quo. Company values customer service reps more than those with security insight. Increased competition in this sector will require innovation, not an echo chamber. Multiple management structure changes in short time means that months of work would be discarded as new leaders made changes to objectives, often just to reverse their stance a short while later.

Advice to Management

Cut the number of managers in half and pay your people well. Many employees are waiting for a better opportunity and only work here initially to get their feet wet since the company and Houston in general are starving for true talent.

"Strong start but fading fast"

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time

Pros

-Fantastic co-workers
    -Nice offices
    -Best IT help desk support team ever
    -Pays well
    -Decent benefits
    -Generally laid back atmosphere

Cons

-Had a big head start in the cloud security space, but now being out maneuvered left and right by competitors
    -Value prop getting eaten up as cloud providers start to offer more and more security services that overlap with Alert Logic's portfolio, but at a much lower price point
    -Delusional belief that there's going to be an IPO someday; in reality, leadership desperately wants to be acquired, but the company is just no longer very attractive to other security companies or to cloud providers
    -Competition growing rapidly with numerous rounds of investor funding, while Alert Logic isn't making any announcements about receiving additional investment from VCs or other investors.
    -HR keeps trying to find adequate talent in the Houston area, which just doesn't exist; difficult to convince anyone to relocate to Houston since Hurricane Harvey
    -There are two different product management teams under two different VPs...how does that make any sense? This adds a lot of confusion internally.
    -The quality of the integration across the different service offerings isn't what the sales and marketing teams try to lead prospects to believe

Advice to Management

Get out of your echo chamber. Stop minimizing the changes in the competitive landscape. Just because Alert Logic was here first doesn't mean it will be around for the long run. You're getting beaten across the board. It is time to out-spend and out-innovate the competition, sell to the highest bidder while there's still some value to the company or simply keep on keeping on until the money runs out or the company's portfolio becomes completely irrelevant.

8. "Network Security Analyst"

I worked at Alert Logic full-time

Pros

Nice company culture. Good way of getting exp if you want to break into infosec.

Cons

Bit boring. Unchallenging, repetitive work.

"Fast, but unstable growth"

I have been working at Alert Logic full-time

Pros

Great culture, and you'll work with intelligent people who really enjoy what they do. Alert Logic is a good place for someone to get into the security world. The concept of the company is great, and the potential for growth as cloud computing becomes mainstream is very high.

Benefits are good, fresh fruit is brought in several times a week, and they have an employee gym available.

Cons

Drastic departmental shifts and restructures are happening all the time. You never know what roles and responsibilities you'll have to incur next week. Employee churn is high, and upper management seems more concerned with other things, leaving departments understaffed and overworked.

Advice to Management

The amount of talent in this company is insane, and needs to be retained at all costs. Listen to your employees that have been there the longest; they may not know how to run a business, but they understand where the biggest problems lie.

"Biggest con in Houston since Enron"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Alert Logic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment. People are generally nice , but little naive.

Great high level value prop. The marketing story sounds great. But really the exec are desperate to get rich and sell but no one buying.

Cons

They tell customers that their products are protecting their environment but the products are generally down half the time and not watching anything. Low customer sat. Products are cobbled together with duct tape. Sales guys are like used cars salesman.

Advice to Management

Good vision but poor execution. Focus on building better products. Start with better people. Take care of your people.