Alex Woo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alex Woo

1. "Amazing work experience ever!"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Alex Woo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment, Smart co-workers, and amazing place that I enjoyed coming to on Monday mornings. You will find yourself learning a lot. I have to say the company is the best company and the wonderful boss and co-workers.

Cons

I can't really think of too many cons. I really enjoyed my time here,

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management, other than keep up the good work. I loved being here.

2. "Great Company and Team!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Alex Woo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great team and atmosphere!
    - Fast-paced and exciting environment
    - The product is fantastic
    - Everyone is important and has a big role in the company. There are no small roles.
    - Flexible with your schedule

Cons

- All women; no males
    - Smaller company

Advice to Management

Continue to build the team and their relationships!

"Poor Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Alex Woo (Less than a year)

Pros

great location, easily accessible, and cute pieces. I also enjoyed the workshop in the back, it was interesting to see the pieces being made.

Cons

This was the worst work environment I have been in. A lot of cattiness between workers, and the owner can be very condescending and micromanages. I felt as if some of the employees weren't appreciated and taken advantage of, despite their hard work and talent. A lot of blaming one another. The office itself isn't the best environment either, a bit run down and not even a coffee maker. Very bare bones. I had read these reviews before accepting hoping for the best. My advice is listen to these reviews, they are accurate and look elsewhere for employment.
    Very high turnover, when I was there only 2 employees had been there for more than a year. Everyone else was only a few months or weeks.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and stop micromanaging. Invest in making the office feel a bit more like home by getting basic office supplies and maybe some pictures on the wall.

Jul 13, 2016 – COO

Always appreciate constructive feedback so welcome this update. That said, I am somewhat surprised with the tone and commentary. Our entire team has just returned Monday from our annual one week ... More

"Enjoyed time and memories!"

Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales and Customer Service in New York, NY

I worked at Alex Woo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best things I remember working at Alex Woo was it was small and had lots of opportunities to learn about the industry and what it takes to run a business. Alex respected work-life balance (much more than the companies I have worked at since!) and made everyone in the team comfortable coming in every day. I even remember holding Alex's baby!

Cons

Since it was small team there was not a lot of areas to grow or go up a ladder and everyone just did what was needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow!

"Worst work experience. EVER."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Alex Woo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is located near multiple subway lines?

Cons

Disgusting office environment. The entire staff, including the designer, shares one tiny office space so she (Alex Woo) can watch over every single person. The pay and benefits (or lack thereof) is the minimal. If you enjoy extreme micromanagement and a boss that will pry into your personal life (always needs to know what doctor you are going to visit if you tell her you have a doc appt, and always needs to know where you are going if you step out for lunch, etc.), then this is the place for you. I have never dreaded going into work as much as I did when I worked for this company.

Advice to Management

Hire some management. Alex Woo does not know the first thing about how to properly manage a staff.

"Nice team"

I have been working at Alex Woo part-time

Pros

I like the team that is here... Everyone is willing to help each other when needed and is young and funny to be around...

Cons

All women so this is good and bad. Would be more balanced to have men on the team.

Advice to Management

Hire men!

May 18, 2015 – COO

Thank you for the useful feedback. Positive feedback is rare as generally good behavior / environment / interactions are taken for granted. We have been looking into the team dynamics, having ... More

"The tacky boss"

Pros

The girls are very friendly and its next to the subway with lots of great places to eat and shop. Also if you hate men, this is the place to be.

Cons

While Alex can be a smart lady, she is also the most greedy, condescending employer you will meet and be taken advantage of. She's never wrong, always has to 'win' and will desperately try anything to justify her actions no matter how ludicrous her accusations are. You need mental barriers to survive here. Alex has lied and made up stories that 'other people' have told her which make no sense as an attempt to break up inter-employee friendships. You will also be given endless talks that don't benefit anything other than make Alex feel like she was heard. Truly pointless management attempts and little room to advance as it is a small company.

Advice to Management

Get some real appreciation for your employees, not cheap gifts that are the leftovers from events or half eaten leftovers from home. If you had family working in the conditions and going through the mind games that you put your employees through, how would you react? Actually look at the people you are offending for nothing and stop putting up fake reviews to help your image, it won't work. I agree that alex needs to hire some management because she's incapable and unfit to fill that role herself.

May 18, 2015 – COO

Thank you for the comments. I am unable to recognize the personal negative attack on Alex here as I have also read many emails from both existing and prior staff supporting Alex's style and the way ... More

"Poor management and practices"

Pros

Location - the office is across from Rockefeller Center and close to a number of subway lines.

Cons

Work culture and environment - coworkers are not collaborative, are practically pitted against one another. They actually spend most days busy blaming one another for their own downfalls. And as a small business, there's no room for growth.
    The CEO - who insists on micromanaging in the most inefficient, non-productive way possible. She is forgetful and indecisive, and even though requires a breakdown of what her employees do every minute of every day, constantly needs to be managed-up by them. Why is it their job to chase and ensure she does hers?

Advice to Management

Appreciate, trust and value your employees - you've hired them to do a job, let them do that job and fully own projects. Less ego, more openness.

"Awful work culture."

Pros

The office is located in Rockefeller Center... so if you are employed with the company in the summer, you can attend NBC's Summer Concerts before work.

Cons

The office is catty, unorganized, has a high turn-over rate, and the boss is a micromanager who will try and make Alex Woo, Inc your life without compensating your time and effort. Pay is abysmal. Little room for upward growth.

After moving on, I was very happy to realize that the work culture I experienced with Alex Woo does NOT reflect ALL company environments!

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and make them feel valued. It's been proven if your employees are happy, they'll work harder for the company, which in turn, will make your company succeed.

""Broadened my Horizons""

I have been working at Alex Woo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Undoubtedly, one of the best facts that the Alex Woo Company has to offer is that all designs are one hundred percent made here in NYC. This fact is beneficial in the sense that many of our local manufacturers can remain in business within this competitive industry. Another very important factor to mention is the expansion and complete renovation of the office and how each team is now strategically coordinated to meet maximum efficiency.
    Alex Woo as a company is a place where we are not rated on individual performance where employees rise in ranks more than others or where promotions are given out. Instead all employees work cohesively together as a team and as a unit. Each employee has their own specific functions and responsibilities and are each at the helm in developing their tasks in the best way possible.
    I believe Alex Woo is a company of evolution, innovation and daily growth. Working alongside Alex Woo has broadened my horizons. It has given me a very different vision and approach when combining art and business to my pace and style.

Cons

Perfectionism. Too much focus on mistakes!

Advice to Management

Continue growing as a company!