Alexander's Steakhouse Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Alexander's Steakhouse full-time

Pros

An education in Food, Wine, Liquor, Hospitality and Steps of Service. Make good money.

Cons

High expectations of you. Snooty guests.

Advice to Management

Treat all staff equally.

"Sous"

I worked at Alexander's Steakhouse full-time

Pros

friendly, nice, loving, great product, accommodating

Cons

unprofessional and unorganized, impatient, moves too fast, wont listen at times

3. "Executive Sous Chef"

Former Employee - Executive Sous Chef
    Former Employee - Executive Sous Chef

I worked at Alexander's Steakhouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the pleasure to work with some the best ingredients that I have the pleasure of working with and the FOH & BOH staff is some of the best around

Cons

Long hours, but that is just part of being management. Sometimes there can be shortage of qualified team memebers, to uphold our standards, so at times there is a shortage of staff

Advice to Management

To always strive for excellence and push for the best. Great management team in place and always willing to work as hard as possible

"A Culinary Art Experience"

Current Employee - Hostess/Barista/Food Runner in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess/Barista/Food Runner in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Alexander's Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Training, management invests in their employees knowledge
    - Management team is very professional and supportive, most back office "upstairs" management moved up from front/back of house.
    - Staff are inviting, fun and energetic. Weekly outings occur: birthday celebrations, basketball tournaments, BBQ's and even camping trips since i've been with the company.
    -Family meal is superb. Fresh dessert is made daily from our pastries chefs. We feel loved!
    - Other stuff that makes Alexander's one-of-a-kind: We have an international intern program so be prepared to meet culinary artists from around the world. We partner with a local non-profit that allows at-risk youth to learn basic restaurant skills with us. Great for mentoring on the job!
    - To reiterate, if you're looking for a career in Culinary Arts, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and are bright, come join the team!

Cons

- Expectation, management expects you to know information outside of your job description.
    - Management stresses when our investors or regional managers step through the front door although everything is always fine.

Advice to Management

Be playful and personable!

"ASH"

Pros

Wine tasting, amazing exposure to food

Cons

Toxic culture, cliquey staff, lots of drug use

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement, not managing from a negative perspective only

"Unlike any other restaurant"

Former Employee - Server in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Alexander's Steakhouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great money for front of the house, but it comes at a price. Awesome food and beverage training. Some employees really care about the restaurant and it can be infectious.

Cons

Unsupportive upper management leads the team through fear. Highest employee turn over I have ever seen (front of the house, back of the house, management, even executive chef). The fear of being fired constantly looms over you. Hard working employees are never noticed and often the most scrutinized, it pays to be friends with someone "upstairs".

"Lousy Management/Clique upper management leads to clique staff"

Former Employee - Front Waiter in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Front Waiter in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Alexander's Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to fine foods and wine. Ability to learn from some knowledgeable people in the food industry. Talented pastry chefs.

Cons

Absolutely no leadership. Staff allowed to manage themselves. People on their phones all the time. Come in late on a routine basis. As long as you are "in" with management you don't have to be a hard worker. If you're not - watch out. You'll get written up for every stupid reason in the book.
    Restaurant needs a good cleaning. Booths are ripped. No one pays attention to the fine details anymore.

Advice to Management

Train your employees. Be fair. Be observant of your staff. Hold everyone accountable. Ask them to care about their job and make sure that they do. Be a better manager. Not try to be your staff's buddy.

"Great pay for hospitality work, toxic work environment"

Pros

The money is above and beyond any other restaurant jobs in the area for front of the house staff. Also, the training they offer in regards to wine and food is exceptional, got to try rare wines and food that I would never had the opportunity to be around otherwise

Cons

Environment is toxic. Morale is in the basement, management runs completely based on fear. High manager turnover, even at the highest levels of the company, has led to high hourly employee turnover. These new employees are then made to work in fear that they could be fired at any minute because there are "plenty of other people willing to do your job or take your place." On top of that, some of the worst employees get to stay around because they were friends with management, while the hardest working employees are fired or quit because they challenge the status quo.

Advice to Management

Use something other than fear to run the business, admit the fact that you don't have a hold on the restaurant like the original owners/managers did, don't keep your friends and fire the hardest working staff just because they don't agree with everything you say