Alexandria Real Estate Equities Reviews | Glassdoor

Joel S. Marcus

1. "Great"

Former Employee - LEASE ADMINISTRATOR/ANALYST
    Former Employee - LEASE ADMINISTRATOR/ANALYST

I worked at Alexandria Real Estate Equities (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has good ethics, wellbo

Cons

Long hours at month end close

Advice to Management

Well organized, good policies, good ethics

2. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Alexandria Real Estate Equities (More than a year)

Pros

Pay well, people are nice

Cons

No room for growth, only let lawyers type any contracts

Advice to Management

Turn around is average three years - say one they don't like and you are fired

"Strong mission and ethics"

I have been working at Alexandria Real Estate Equities full-time

Pros

My previous employer had a specious (at best) philosophy about how they approached business, so to step into a company with such a committed and strong approach to what they do is incredibly refreshing. Strong work-life balance with outstanding benefits and a casual atmosphere. People are friendly and professional and upper management seems to be genuinely interested in their employees, seeing them as the main reason for the success of the company, rather than expendable game pieces.

Cons

From what I've seen, internal advancement varies from department to department, so if that's something that is important to you, make sure you're clear about that when interviewing. The organization of the company is siloed, so it can be challenging to get a big picture on how the various departments work together.

"Dream Come True"

Current Employee - Real Estate Legal Coordinator in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Legal Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Alexandria Real Estate Equities full-time

Pros

Where to start? I worked for the same company for 14 years. I resigned myself to the fact that working for an employer meant always coming in second to the bottom line and never feeling appreciated. When I started looking for a position I was contacted by a wonderful recruiter from Alexandria Real Estate Equities (ARE) and I immediately checked the Glassdoor reviews. I couldn't find much and I was very disappointed. After my fist interview, I knew that this company was different and I was shocked that people didn’t have more to say. Not only is the company close to home and located in a very nice area of Pasadena, but every person I interacted with was bright and excited and genuinely loved the company. I know...you want the Pros....here is a short list but please keep in mind that I still learn something new every single day.

1. Amazing benefits. No exaggeration. Seriously amazing benefits.
    2. Every person I have interacted with has been bright and friendly and the environment is warm and welcoming.
    3. I work in the Legal Department and the work-life balance is amazing. I actually look forward to work on Monday and I never believed that was possible.
    4. Employees are given everything they could ever need to perform their duties. No one hurts for anything so we are free from the distraction of begging an angry supply warden for a pencil.
    5. My favorite thing so far is that our CEO and Founder actually addresses the company, shares his thoughts and celebrates our accomplishments as a company. His emails are encouraging and supportive and show a real appreciation for the accomplishments of every employee and not just the big guys. The environment has felt fresh and innovative from day one I have had a sense that change and improvement are encouraged and appreciated and not feared and suppressed. That is incredibly refreshing.
    6. Food, food and more food. No one goes hungry at Alexandria. There are always wonderful treats and healthy options available and it really brings a smile to everyone's face. ARE is extremely generous and it never ceases to amaze me how much more productive and happy I am never worrying about being hungry.

There is no way to list all of the wonderful things about ARE. All I can tell you is that I am happier than I have ever been before. I found an amazing position, working for a company I love and believe in, our CEO is someone I respect and appreciate and all of my friends are jealous of the benefits and the "perks".

Cons

None. In a truly collaborative, welcoming and rewarding environment, it has been difficult for me to find any cons. The location is great, the people are great, the company's mission is something I can stand behind and our leadership is passionate about contributing something wonderful to this world. ARE is successful but has not lost sight of the backbone of any successful organization, the people. Everyone is treated with respect and the usual pettiness many of us have seen in previous positions is missing. As an employee, I have felt welcomed, cared for and important since the day I started and it gets better every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I have never been happier and I love what we do every day.

"Positivity Central"

Pros

It's a great work environment where everyone is collaborative, and employees are given every opportunity to develop.

Cons

None - this is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

"Creative, Fast Paced Environment with Amazing Opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Alexandria Real Estate Equities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

So much more than Real Estate! Alexandria's mission is something to be really proud about.
    Incredible opportunities to grow your career, fantastic rewards for high performance.
    Creative, entrepreneurial mindset, interesting and challenging work. Talented, passionate employees, who are friendly and collaborative. Best career move I've ever made!

Cons

Alexandria has a great work ethic and challenging projects to work on. If you prefer a slow pace or bureaucratic style, Alexandria would not be the place to work!

"Entreprenurial and creative environment, great company!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Alexandria Real Estate Equities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Alexandria is an outstanding company that really cares and caters to their employees as much as they can. The company culture is very team-oriented, promotes numerous growth opportunities, and is a natural learning environment. It is a fast-paced culture, which I love, so if you're not up for it, then it may not be the right place for you. It has been great working with the people there and I look forward to going to work each and every day!

Cons

Hard to believe, but really nothing comes to mind, love my job!

"Manager"

I worked at Alexandria Real Estate Equities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits and 401k plan, company has a lot of talent throughout.

Cons

Expected to work long hours, below-average vacation time

Advice to Management

Probably would benefit the company to hire additional personnel to avoid burning out employees. Additional vacation time would be helpful

10. "beware"

Pros

There are no pros to this company.

Cons

Long hours, no work-life balance, no flexibility, and no upward mobility.

Advice to Management

No point in listing advice...management is stuck in their ways.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in San Diego, CA

Pros

Competitive pay, ability to grow and move up in company, fun employees and easy work environment- this review is for San Diego office

Cons

No real cons except for some minor company politics

Advice to Management

No advice to management