Alexian Brothers Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alexian Brothers Health System President and CEO Mark Frey
Mark Frey

Pros
  • Great place to work with great benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Good people, and helping patients (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of times direct patient care staff are short staffed and there is a high turn over rate w/direct patient care because of how stressful the job is (in 6 reviews)

• Organizational commitment to work-life balance needs improvement (in 3 reviews)

1. "ABBHH-Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique opportunities for career development, great benefits, wide network and room for growth. I have worked here for 3 years and have been able to communicate with my supervisor about feedback on job performance.

Cons

High Stress environment and low salaries compared to local competitors. The one major negative to working here is that there are many different departments and the education department gets overlooked. Since we manage ourselves it can be challenging to know what our expectations are within the hospital. We are often asked to do more than is expected as a classroom teacher.

Advice to Management

Review salary of all your departments to keep up with competitive rates

2. "It was alright"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time

Pros

People within the department were super supportive. Very patient, helpful, and welcoming. It was great experience and exposure.

Cons

Work/life balance. Crisis management means that you can stay well past when your shift is over dealing w/various patient related issues as well as just trying to help everybody else from being completely overwhelmed. The compensation isn't that great when you take into consideration the extremely stressful environment you are asked to work in. Immediate supervisors/managers/directors are great but I'm sure they face a lot of pressure from "higher ups".

Lots of times direct patient care staff are short staffed and there is a high turn over rate w/direct patient care because of how stressful the job is.

3. "Security Officer"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Alexian Brothers Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Good Hours/ Pay and environment

Cons

Employees act so entitled and it ruins the shift.

Advice to Management

Please hire better employees

5. "Utilization Specialist"

Current Employee - Utilization Review Specialist in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Utilization Review Specialist in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Alexian Brothers has good honest values and does follow their values: Partnership, Dignity of the Person, Care of the Poor, Compassion, Holism. Staff are generally kind.

Cons

Alexian Brothers is a 24 mile one way drive.

6. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good sense of community, very safety focused organization

Cons

regularly understaffed, mandatory on call

Advice to Management

More concern to proper staffing

7. "Horrible"

Current Employee - CT Technologist in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - CT Technologist in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They make a lot of money for the managers and executives.

Cons

Anything on the frontline (direct w / patient) is very short staffed.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be human.

8. "Charge and Cash Poster"

Former Employee - Charge and Cash Poster in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Charge and Cash Poster in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my team, direct supervisor, and mid-to-upper management in the business office. Loved the camaraderie, the constant workload, and the benefits are excellent and affordable.

Cons

Word to the wise, if you ever get this or any other position through a staffing service, know that what they pay you will not be on par with what Alexian pays you should you be hired on permanently. HR attempted to knock my pay down a full dollar when that happened and even after my manager fought tooth and nail to get me more, they only reduced the cut to 50 cents less. Absolutely terrible tactic with regards to retaining long term employees.

Advice to Management

Hire better HR representatives who pay employees what they're actually worth.

9. "Risky at best job"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

benefits what there are of them are ok

Cons

In healthcare security you run the risk of being punched(Closed fist) slapped ,kicked , stabbed with any number of items , scratched , spat at or on.You can have urine or feces thrown at you. You will be exposed to HEP A,B & C ,TB ,HIV etc. You'll have to sit hours on end with psych patients or intoxicated individuals who will probably be violent and abusive. All this for maybe $12.00 a hour to start and crappy benefits. Management will throw you under the bus for little or nothing. You are not armed ,but are given heavy bullet / knife resistant vest , OC spray and cuffs.

Advice to Management

increase pay to match in house city departments to attract experienced officers

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great 'small company' feel although changed somewhat after merger. Supportive leadership. Generous compensation. Opportunity for advancement. Sr leadership is willing to listen and recognize front line staff's contributions thru associate appreciation. There are a lot of employees who have been there 10,20 even 30+ years. That speaks highly of the organization when employees are so loyal.

Cons

For a large company health insurance benefits aren't the greatest if you don't use health system services. If politics weren't so prevalent- collaboration might improve and the system could be the best in the area.

Advice to Management

Recognize that in order to grow and expand services - you need to expand resources - ie staffing. There's only so much one can do before they become burnt out which in turn affects all services. This is the best health care organization to work for but some at the top are losing sight of how dedicated and loyal your front line employees are when asking them to do more and more. Continue to support them and you will keep a strong workforce. Ignore them and services will start to suffer due to more and more turnover of your long term, seasoned and skilled employees.

"OK company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Alexian Brothers Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefit package is comparable to other healthcare systems in the area.

Cons

Organizational commitment to work-life balance needs improvement.