Alexion Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Ludwig Hantson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Strike better Work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• there is absolutely no work life balance, and any attempt to better the company culture is met with much resisitance (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist III in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist III in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alexion is a good company. I currently work at
    The ARIMF location and have been for about a year. I've encountered such smart, talented and experienced individuals in my time here and have learned more in one year than I have in most of my time in the industry thus far. The company is experiencing many changes lately; however, in the long run, I think it will be good for it especially ARIMF. The culture is changing and we finally have good leaders and a new plant manager that are truly committed in changing the culture for the better. As for benefits and pay, Alexion offers the full package and more. I recently made the move out of Cambridge and am very happy to have found a renown company so close to home. The employees here are very hard workers and are truly committed to making a difference every day.

Cons

Many of the reviews on here are negative towards management but I honestly believe that the perspective on management truly depends on what part of the business you report to. So far, my management has been really great; some people may have different experiences which I respect but I have had a great one in that regard. In every industry and every company, you will find terrible managers but that is more of a culture and behavioral issue than a widespread business one.
    The environment is fast paced and yes, there are times where you will have to work more than 40 hours when working on certain projects and deadlines but that is not the requirement. I think management is getting better about acknowledging that (especially with the culture change) and employees themselves are feeling less like they have to be constantly chained to a laptop. The plant manager has reinforced this: ask for help and push back when you feel overwhelmed. This is a passionate company where you need to hit the ground running and not twiddle your thumbs. In biotech, the expectation is that you may have to work more and harder at times (I've always had to do this everywhere I've worked); it's the nature of the business but in the end it comes out in the wash. Alexion is not some sweat shop working their employees to the core as some reviews state. With the CEO cleaning house and bringing in a global culture change, I think the company is headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on culture. Reinforcing it, welcoming it and truly implementing it. A change of direction is needed, not working harder in the same direction. Get people to think more about "emotional intelligence" and how that concept can really drive change, passion and behavior.

Alexion Pharmaceuticals Response

Aug 10, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your positive feedback and dedication to Alexion. Your hard work is appreciated and we value your commitment to Alexion’s mission to serve patients. Please continue to share your... More

2. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Researcher in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Researcher in New Haven, CT

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and comparative salary. Great work environment. One could commute using the train to New Haven.

Cons

Company announced it is moving out of CT to Boston in 2018.

"Orphan company treating orphan diseases"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and the talent always willing to go above and beyond to get the job done regardless of who is calling the shots. It may not make sense but we come together to make it happen.

Cons

Three lefts to go right. Every. Single. Time. Alexion embodies the work harder not smarter mentality. It's so darn hard to make meaningful beneficial changes that it is discouraging and subsequently easier to simply do nothing and work with the (crappy) system that's already in place.

Advice to Management

I suggest you look up the definition of an "azz hat". Your hat just doesn't look as good as you think it does!

4. "Overall observation."

Former Employee - Senior Director in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very engaged and committed team.

Cons

Management does not take advantage of technical resources and input available within the Company.

Advice to Management

Thoroughly examine technical aspects of developing and manufacturing new prospective products. Seek and accept input from R&D, Process Development and Manufacturing Technical Services to produce the most informed decision on next steps.

"Not what it once was"

Former Employee - Various in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Various in New Haven, CT

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are great

Cons

Toxic culture, cut-throat attitude, and executive management who don't seem to have the company's best interests at heart

Advice to Management

I am not sure what could be said that would make any difference. It seems this company is being primed for sale and any consideration for employees is negligible. It is unfortunate that what once was a great place to work is now so toxic and morale is so low.

"Not what it once was..."

Current Employee - QC Analyst in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - QC Analyst in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are excellent

Cons

Company doesn't care about patients or employees. They only care about the profits.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Currently Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Director in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Director in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great industry, potential takeover target

Cons

Toxic culture, poor direction and leadership, horrible execution of plan

Advice to Management

Completely changing the company is OK, but you MUST be transparent and take on all questions/concerns. Weeks go by without any direction or clear leadership. Doesn't feel like anyone is in charge. People are not motivated to do anything but keep the paychecks coming in. Just do enough to keep the job - no future, nothing to look forward to, nothing to work towards.

"Mind Boggling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people at ARIMF sacrificed for long term political game to move production to Ireland. We were able to overcome constant obstacles and lift the warning letter without support from upper management. Instead of supporting site to become more efficient, company spent money to open oversized facility overseas that will not be ready when inventory is depleted.

Cons

Upper management decision making is mind boggling.

Advice to Management

I don't understand how you still have jobs, and the people that supply most of the inventory are laid off and plant is shut down. If you really cared about the patients, you would not put supply at risk. Admit it, the greed and hubris are your real motivation.

"Alexion has been taken over"

Former Employee - Commercial in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Commercial in New Haven, CT

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Smart and dedicated employees.

Cons

Alexion has been taken over! This once great company is now in shambles. The new leaders are getting rid of anyone that contributed to Alexion's success and are making millions while doing it. Moving to Boston is a selfish move and most employee will not or cannot go. I feel for the patients as well. This new management only care about their own pockets.

Advice to Management

None. They do not want advice from anyone not in their former circles.

"Research is gone"

Former Employee - Director in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Director in New Haven, CT

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary....employee stock options under water, some restricted stock options, but not worth as much compared to what employees got few years ago

Cons

No W/L balance
    Constant changes
    Top Complement experts reportedly left as well after the second round of layoff, Third round is reportedly coming
    Zero strategy of the new Mngmt
    Nonexistent pipeline -1210 is a joke
    Two different Cos wanted to acquire Alxn, but then both backed off after due diligence and current valuation

Advice to Management

Wake up