Alexion Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Ludwig Hantson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Strike better Work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• there is absolutely no work life balance, and any attempt to better the company culture is met with much resisitance (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist III in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist III in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alexion is a good company. I currently work at
    The ARIMF location and have been for about a year. I've encountered such smart, talented and experienced individuals in my time here and have learned more in one year than I have in most of my time in the industry thus far. The company is experiencing many changes lately; however, in the long run, I think it will be good for it especially ARIMF. The culture is changing and we finally have good leaders and a new plant manager that are truly committed in changing the culture for the better. As for benefits and pay, Alexion offers the full package and more. I recently made the move out of Cambridge and am very happy to have found a renown company so close to home. The employees here are very hard workers and are truly committed to making a difference every day.

Cons

Many of the reviews on here are negative towards management but I honestly believe that the perspective on management truly depends on what part of the business you report to. So far, my management has been really great; some people may have different experiences which I respect but I have had a great one in that regard. In every industry and every company, you will find terrible managers but that is more of a culture and behavioral issue than a widespread business one.
    The environment is fast paced and yes, there are times where you will have to work more than 40 hours when working on certain projects and deadlines but that is not the requirement. I think management is getting better about acknowledging that (especially with the culture change) and employees themselves are feeling less like they have to be constantly chained to a laptop. The plant manager has reinforced this: ask for help and push back when you feel overwhelmed. This is a passionate company where you need to hit the ground running and not twiddle your thumbs. In biotech, the expectation is that you may have to work more and harder at times (I've always had to do this everywhere I've worked); it's the nature of the business but in the end it comes out in the wash. Alexion is not some sweat shop working their employees to the core as some reviews state. With the CEO cleaning house and bringing in a global culture change, I think the company is headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on culture. Reinforcing it, welcoming it and truly implementing it. A change of direction is needed, not working harder in the same direction. Get people to think more about "emotional intelligence" and how that concept can really drive change, passion and behavior.

Alexion Pharmaceuticals Response

Aug 10, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your positive feedback and dedication to Alexion. Your hard work is appreciated and we value your commitment to Alexion’s mission to serve patients. Please continue to share your... More

2. "Full time"

Current Employee - Director in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company lives thee mission of patient focused

Cons

Ever changing, too many people changing positions

"Very talented people and a very challenging corporate culture"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellence is encouraged, the pay and overall compensation is fair, and a dedicated team of colleagues.

Cons

Poor , ineffective and arrogant management, negative corporate culture, and a relentless drive for performance even when surpassing goals. No value put on employees having a personal life.

Advice to Management

They ignored all the red flags with respect to market challenges and opportunities. Hopefully they'll continue to be introspective with respect to research, development and market opportunities

4. "so many possibilities"

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the mission of company to make medicine for rare diseases
    hard working people that keep giving it all even with poor executives
    New executives seem to be trying to change culture but in areas where the executives have not been changed out there is very little change. Comp is good.

Cons

Very unorganized, fire fighting culture. Every day a new priority in Ops. Micromanagement like I've never seen it before....every issue requires a report or powerpoint slide and EVP needs to know every detail. Because of this employees to not feel empowered.

Advice to Management

You hire and pay for good people. Let them think and move without checking all of their work. You should not be in the weeds like this and it creates environment where employees don't care anymore as they are sick of getting criticized for every sentence they write (for issues that do not matter).

"Could have been so much better"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate IV in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate IV in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, great team of peers.

Cons

Horribly managed from the top down. Very apparent that the patient was not the first concern as claimed in mission statement.

Advice to Management

If you ever open another manufacturing sight spend the money to make it right and set it up for success. If you invest in Ireland the way you invested in Smithfield, RI then you are doomed across the pond.

"High Tension"

Current Employee - Diagnostic Manager in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Diagnostic Manager in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation benefits, mid-salaries, excellent expense details

Cons

Not possible to find a leader in LT expect the General Manager in the country

Advice to Management

Please try to focus on legal TAT more

"Reorganization & Disorganization"

Former Employee - Anonymous in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New Haven, CT

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, benefits, compensation, 401k,

Cons

Too many layoffs left the company with not enough people to do the daily tasks. There is no job security at all. All the current postings are for management/directors, where are the jobs for those who actually do the work?What were they thinking?!

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to those who are left behind on the status of the company. Don't let them relocate only to find out there will be more reorganization or the sale of the company.

"Chaotic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company delivers vital therapy to a high risk patient population. The work you do on behalf of patients is rewarding. Fairly good compensation.

Cons

Transition is constant and does not provide enough time to actually do the work before the work is changed. Little positive direction or support from the management teams. Four different managers, with four different objectives in two years. Its difficult to achieve objectives when the objectives your spend many hours working to achieve are changed midstream and before project completion. Demoralizing when you feel like you spend the majority of your time working on projects that will shortly become irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Less Director levels and more people to perform the actual work. If you put a transition plan in place don't leave areas unrepresented. The atmosphere is entirely reliant on the dedication and acuity of individuals performing the roles rather than the system that supports them.

"Should be investigated"

Current Employee - Purification Manager in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Purification Manager in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not one thing. 20 words.............. can't find them. Horrible quality, poor understanding of GMP let alone cGMP. Worst management in history of Biotech.

Cons

From day one I witnessed poor GMP and questionable practices. All were driven by senior management to push product out the door. They cared more about money than quality. FDA should be ashamed that they let this company manufacture anything.

Advice to Management

Quit, find a job where you can be a scumbag and it won't put patients at risk.

"Orphan company treating orphan diseases"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and the talent always willing to go above and beyond to get the job done regardless of who is calling the shots. It may not make sense but we come together to make it happen.

Cons

Three lefts to go right. Every. Single. Time. Alexion embodies the work harder not smarter mentality. It's so darn hard to make meaningful beneficial changes that it is discouraging and subsequently easier to simply do nothing and work with the (crappy) system that's already in place.

Advice to Management

I suggest you look up the definition of an "azz hat". Your hat just doesn't look as good as you think it does!