Alexion Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ludwig Hantson
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Strike better Work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• there is absolutely no work life balance, and any attempt to better the company culture is met with much resisitance (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Director"

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Alexion since 2014 and can honestly say that it is the best company that I have ever worked for and I have no plans of leaving. While I agree with most postings that state the work environment is not for the faint hearted, there is a reason..the patients. People are often reminded of the reason why we work so hard. We work hard because of our patients. They need us. In the event of work life balance issues, all you had to do was speak up. Let your manager know.. I love Alexion because of the following:

-Benefits are astounding. They're always looking to find creative ways to support employees
    - New winter holiday shutdown is awesome
    -Pay is extremely competitive
    -opportunities for advancement. I have been promoted twice in 18 months. Hard work is rewarded.
    -People are very friendly and dedicated

Cons

My only challenge was the move to New Haven. It caused a longer commute. I have adjusted though and management works with me.

Advice to Management

I have no issues with management.

2. "Great Company and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits/Rewarding/Feel like you are working for a greater good and my bosses are the best.

Cons

Personal and work life balance

Advice to Management

Keep making the changes needed to build a stronger Alexion for the patients that need us.

"Good exposure; great team; poor management"

Former Employee - Director in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Director in New Haven, CT

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent team with broad experience and dedication. Most people are striving to drive projects forward. The people that do the work are very professional and focused on results.

Cons

Management lacks knowledge and patience. Poor decisions often drive some of the best people out. A key skill many people in leadership roles lack is working cross-functionally.

Advice to Management

Trust your experts and hear their concerns. Communicate often and don't stay in your luxury offices.

5. "Senior Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation package and benefits. Love the new "Winter Break" - Now just wish they offered some sort of "Summer Hours" :-)

Cons

Need to be able to dedicate working more than 40 hours a week, especially in IT - This can be straining for some, but for me it's worth it and I love what I do. Also, on a random note, the NH cafeteria is really overpriced - Better off going to grocery store and buying the stuff you want, or go to Food Trucks near the Hospital.

Advice to Management

Keep on providing opportunities for growth/development and rewarding the employees that go above & beyond.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Engineer in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Maternity leave and benefits are good. Maternity leave was recently increased to 16 paid weeks (which is amazing!), however they make it very difficult to extend unpaid beyond that (many other places allow 6-12 months unpaid)

Cons

The environment has become punitive and toxic. It is always expected to get more done with fewer resources. Work life balance is completely non existent. Also, QA has started ruling based on business needs instead of quality and will not hear reason. Many poor decisions are being made for the wrong reasons as a result.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Director in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people/coworkers
    Great cause
    Great pay/benefits/total compensation package

Cons

Growing company = growing pains
    Revenues seem to be leveling off or not able to support level of R&D investment needed
    Smaller company = more limited job opportunities

Advice to Management

Focus on the culture of the company that you want Alexion to become

"Negotiate Severance w/ Employment Offer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals (More than a year)

Pros

There is only short term gain if you are a good negotiator. Pay is high due to the risk and their inability to attract talent.

Cons

This company doesn't seem to have any future. Executives are not committed for the long-term. Sr. and middle management are in over their heads-- overpaid and under qualified.

Advice to Management

None that would be followed. Read all public records about this company before joining. The executive staff have short contracts with a big upside when/if they are able to sell what was Alexion.

"Once Great, Now Toxic - Avoid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have comparable pay and benefits.

Cons

Negative reviews are accurate; company is in a free fall. While this review may come off as wordy and biased I believe that anyone currently working there would mostly agree with it, whether privately or publicly, or at the very least to themselves. Dishonesty, lack of transparency, and hidden agendas surround the company. They recently laid off 7% of the whole company and are starting to terminate as many people as they can for frivolous and disingenuous reasons. If you were to ask new employees to anonymously answer a survey about their training and on-boarding experience, I'm sure that they would have mostly given bad reviews. Management just drops them right into the fray and they either sink or swim. They've always been understaffed and the turnover rate is ridiculous. The holiday shutdown is a misnomer, operations never cease and the people on the floor are still required to work normal hours during them... All of this and they overpaid by at least 6 billion dollars on 2 products projected to only make $20 million in sales a year.

From a planning standpoint to an operating standpoint, they are clearly mismanaged. Work/life balance is non-existent, your family and friends will begin to notice your stress and tension at home. The company claims to want the best and brightest, but fail to deliver since having any kind of opinion other than the upper management's will indelibly get them subject to retaliation of some kind, whether by poor performance reviews or other disciplinary actions including termination. Very shady. Things have steadily declined and continue to. Nepotism rules at this company, it's all about who you know and not performance. The HR there is completely in the bag and not to be trusted. They are truly liars, going to them is your first mistake. They do not care about loyalty and devotion despite it being for such a worthy cause. It's all about profit and shareholder confidence, which is now waning...

The lean manufacturing program that was introduced was the beginning of the end for the facility; turned everything into a finger pointing contest for the sake of metrics. Rapport and camaraderie have been replaced with awkwardness, uncomfortable silence, and placing blame. The atmosphere is very adversarial. Upper management is totally disconnected to the mostly good people who work hard on the floor daily ensuring patients have a constant supply of Soliris. They place too much work on their employees who are under-resourced as it is and demand that they meet unreasonable timelines.

The company is always too invested in the future to care about the present which explains their lack of transparency, dishonesty, and hidden agendas. The saddest thing about it all is that it used to be such a great place to work, especially for people who did not want to commute to the Cambridge/Boston area. Unfortunately, I do think that they will eventually sell the Smithfield site to the highest bidder.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees as much (or even half as much) as you claim to care about patients, we are all people after all. Work to live > live to work.

"Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good health and retirement benefits.

Cons

Company paid 8.4 billion for a clinical company that only provided a commercial product that makes 20 million/year. Everything else is a bust. That is the pivotal example of how well the company operates.

"Tumultuous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Alexion Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Individual managers can make a difference in your experience.

Cons

Overall climate is one where people are trying to find a way out.