Alfred Benesch & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Alfred Benesch & Company President and CEO John Carrato
John Carrato

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have never worked for a company that focuses so much on developing their employees while truly giving them work-life balance options" (in 7 reviews)

• "Really great benefits - healthcare and retirement" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons for working here" (in 6 reviews)

• "Not all of the offices have this problem depending on what type of work they do" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Place for Professional Development"

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time

Pros

My experience so far has been very positive. The company genuinely tries to be as transparent as possible. Not only is my manager great at what she does, she's also very patient and focuses on providing positive feedback. The company really cares about professional development. Diverse group of people in the Chicago office.

Above-average benefits like tuition reimbursement assistance, HSA contribution, flexible spending accounts, flexible work options, a wellness program with attractive incentives and paid parental leave. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Elevators.

Though talking is certainly not discouraged, office can be a little quiet sometimes.

Advice to Management

If we could have a few more paid holidays (e.g. the day after Thanksgiving, the day before Christmas), that would be GREAT!

2. "Good company/bad manager"

Pros

Well managed for under 1000 employees.

Cons

Corporate communication does not always reach down to employees.

Advice to Management

Do not solely rely on your individual managers to communicate.

3. "Environmental Technologist"

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average salary and benefits.

Cons

Does not reconginize extra effort by those not in the executive track.

4. "They are a very caring co cmpany, I really felt I was doing everything right. Until I was told I was being laid- out"

Former Employee - Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Yoyu will come into contact with a lot of different people the jobs within the firm there are over 500 or more employees with in the company.

Cons

Just be mindful come in doing your work, you can be doing your work and then someone comes and say. We are sorry we are going to need to let you go

Advice to Management

You may want to be careful what you say, cause some can take it like you are trying to take some ones place.

5. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since day one I’ve felt like I was a valued employee of this company. As an intern I learned a lot that will be used in my career after college.

Cons

There have been no cons during my time at Benesch.

6. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best way to describe Benesch is that this company CARES. Management really cares about how engaged you are and how well you are performing within your role. Whether you are an engineer or in a corporate position, most employees are very welcoming. The company provides great training and also ensures its employees are taken care of from a benefits perspective (top notch health insurance/401k). At least once a month, we have donut Wednesday at the Chicago office to celebrate our birthdays and have frequent bonuses (3-4x times a fiscal year). They also just implemented a paid parental leave policy for both women and men. Annual engagement surveys are taken seriously and any issues employees are not too happy about are carefully reviewed and addressed.

Cons

- Building elevators
    - Below average number of paid holidays
    - Low number of office events
    - HSA contribution only benefits a healthy person with no family.

7. "Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Vice President, Executive Management in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Executive Management in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a manager, my greatest joy in working at Benesch is creating career opportunities for young engineers. We've hired many people right out of college and most are still with us 10, 15 and 20 years later. I derive great satisfaction in seeing them progress from designers to project engineers and ultimately project managers. Even though engineers are often referred to as the "invisible profession", I try to instill in them that their work enhances the quality of life for so many people. Whether that's through designs of safe highways, clean drinking water or clean streams, our employees really do make a difference.

Cons

You may sometimes be asked to work outside of your discipline to help others maintain client commitments. Not everyone enjoys this, but it is this type of work sharing that prevents us from becoming a "hire and fire" firm.

8. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Civil Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Design Engineer

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alfred Benesch & Company practices what they preach. I have never worked for a company that focuses so much on developing their employees while truly giving them work-life balance options! The benefits are well above average for the industry and they seem genuinely concerned for their employees well being.

Cons

I have found none so far.

Advice to Management

Continue the supportive environment and hold on tight to the people first philosophy you have cultivated!

9. "A different business"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is engaged with each employee
    Still small enough that massive waste has not crept in
    Work hours are flexible and taking PTO is encouraged
    Welcoming atmosphere, great environment
    Benefits are better than some
    Great pay, including straight time for OT

Cons

While utilization is important, it is heavily emphasized to try to bill projects however possible

Advice to Management

Understanding that some day, some time, some way, an hour or two might need to billed as overhead.

10. "Benesch is a fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits. Great Company Culture. Employees are valued and it shows. Employees all take pride in producing high quality work and it makes for a positive and engaging work environment.

Cons

There are always a lot of projects going on which sometimes requires overtime. Can have some late nights from time to time.

Alfred Benesch & Company Response

Apr 27, 2018 – HR Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with others!