Alfred Benesch & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Alfred Benesch & Company President and CEO John Carrato
John Carrato

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have never worked for a company that focuses so much on developing their employees while truly giving them work-life balance options" (in 7 reviews)

• "Really great benefits - healthcare and retirement" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons for working here" (in 6 reviews)

• "There is no time to learn and you are on your own from day one" (in 2 reviews)

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and work environment.

Great benefits! (insurance, tuition reimbursement, 401k plan, and paid time benefits)

Upper management transparent about the company

Cons

There are no cons at this time!

2. "Support Staff review"

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benesch is a hard working company. Pedal to the metal and nothing less. Most employees are good people and easy to work with. They do produce high quality work.

Cons

If you aren't an engineer, you don't mean much at this company. Management is a mess. I found it very hard at times to get a straight answer from management, you live your life in the grey area at Benesch. They are good for putting people in positions not because they deserve it or have the knowledge, but more of a political reason. The squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease there. Support staff is horribly under paid and often forgot about. Engineers get all the perks and the pay. They have a "system" in place that compensates employees or new hires based on experience and what other professionals in your position make. This is a complete garbage system. After 5 years with the company, I was making less than a new hire who knew half as much as I did, just because that person technically had more experience in my field. Management new this, and chose to do nothing about it. They literally work you into the ground with no remorse and rarely ever a thank you. A lot goes on behind closed doors. They are far from transparent as they say they are. This is a good place to start your career, spend no more than 2 years at this place. You will start falling behind in knowledge and in pay.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer II - Aviation in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer II - Aviation in Denver, CO

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benesch provides a great working environment and really gives their employees the tools they need to succeed. I haven't seen a benefits package remotely close to what Benesch offers either.

Cons

Have yet to find a con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Designer II
    Current Employee - Designer II

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere, and culture of the company is very positive.

Cons

Competitive pay in general, but mainly depends on which market.

5. "Great Place for Professional Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time

Pros

My experience so far has been very positive. The company genuinely tries to be as transparent as possible. Not only is my manager great at what she does, she's also very patient and focuses on providing positive feedback. The company really cares about professional development. Diverse group of people in the Chicago office.

Above-average benefits like tuition reimbursement assistance, HSA contribution, flexible spending accounts, flexible work options, a wellness program with attractive incentives and paid parental leave. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Elevators.

Though talking is certainly not discouraged, office can be a little quiet sometimes.

Advice to Management

If we could have a few more paid holidays (e.g. the day after Thanksgiving, the day before Christmas), that would be GREAT!

6. "Good company/bad manager"

Pros

Well managed for under 1000 employees.

Cons

Corporate communication does not always reach down to employees.

Advice to Management

Do not solely rely on your individual managers to communicate.

7. "Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment was decent to work in. Pay and benefits is average about the same as any other large firm.

Cons

The management interviewing a candidate will start out by saying that Benesch is not a hire and fire firm and they will preach about how great their values are as a company. They will brag about how much they care about their employees. They will terminate you with no notice.

Managers if you want to call them that will be more concerned about keeping themselves billable and will not give new hires the time of day. There is no time to learn and you are on your own from day one. This is a poor company for a new engineer to start a career. New engineers be careful if you are hired by this firm as they will hang you out to dry. Learn as much as you can as fast as you can, keep your resume up to date and be ready to leave at a moments notice. Company over works their employees and all they see is $ signs. They refuse to charge anytime to overhead even when it is necessary. Weekly meetings the time is billed to your projects, so this reduces your allocated time to complete tasks even more. Watched one employee become so overwhelmed with work he was using PTO to catch up on his projects/tasks.

Advice to Management

Take the time to teach your new engineers, so that they can actually be of value to you in the long run. Learn to eat some time as overhead...its rather embarassing thinking you can charge your client with every waking minute of time. If the company is working on as thin of margins as everyone says...then maybe it is time to rethink the value of a billed hour.

8. "Environmental Technologist"

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average salary and benefits.

Cons

Does not reconginize extra effort by those not in the executive track.

9. "They are a very caring co cmpany, I really felt I was doing everything right. Until I was told I was being laid- out"

Former Employee - Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Yoyu will come into contact with a lot of different people the jobs within the firm there are over 500 or more employees with in the company.

Cons

Just be mindful come in doing your work, you can be doing your work and then someone comes and say. We are sorry we are going to need to let you go

Advice to Management

You may want to be careful what you say, cause some can take it like you are trying to take some ones place.

10. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since day one I’ve felt like I was a valued employee of this company. As an intern I learned a lot that will be used in my career after college.

Cons

There have been no cons during my time at Benesch.