Alfred Benesch & Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Alfred Benesch & Company President and CEO John Carrato
John Carrato

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have never worked for a company that focuses so much on developing their employees while truly giving them work-life balance options" (in 7 reviews)

• "Really great benefits - healthcare and retirement" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons for working here" (in 6 reviews)

• "There is no time to learn and you are on your own from day one" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Designer II
    Current Employee - Designer II

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere, and culture of the company is very positive.

Cons

Competitive pay in general, but mainly depends on which market.

2. "Great Place for Professional Development"

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time

Pros

My experience so far has been very positive. The company genuinely tries to be as transparent as possible. Not only is my manager great at what she does, she's also very patient and focuses on providing positive feedback. The company really cares about professional development. Diverse group of people in the Chicago office.

Above-average benefits like tuition reimbursement assistance, HSA contribution, flexible spending accounts, flexible work options, a wellness program with attractive incentives and paid parental leave. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Elevators.

Though talking is certainly not discouraged, office can be a little quiet sometimes.

Advice to Management

If we could have a few more paid holidays (e.g. the day after Thanksgiving, the day before Christmas), that would be GREAT!

3. "Good company/bad manager"

Pros

Well managed for under 1000 employees.

Cons

Corporate communication does not always reach down to employees.

Advice to Management

Do not solely rely on your individual managers to communicate.

4. "Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment was decent to work in. Pay and benefits is average about the same as any other large firm.

Cons

The management interviewing a candidate will start out by saying that Benesch is not a hire and fire firm and they will preach about how great their values are as a company. They will brag about how much they care about their employees. They will terminate you with no notice.

Managers if you want to call them that will be more concerned about keeping themselves billable and will not give new hires the time of day. There is no time to learn and you are on your own from day one. This is a poor company for a new engineer to start a career. New engineers be careful if you are hired by this firm as they will hang you out to dry. Learn as much as you can as fast as you can, keep your resume up to date and be ready to leave at a moments notice. Company over works their employees and all they see is $ signs. They refuse to charge anytime to overhead even when it is necessary. Weekly meetings the time is billed to your projects, so this reduces your allocated time to complete tasks even more. Watched one employee become so overwhelmed with work he was using PTO to catch up on his projects/tasks.

Advice to Management

Take the time to teach your new engineers, so that they can actually be of value to you in the long run. Learn to eat some time as overhead...its rather embarassing thinking you can charge your client with every waking minute of time. If the company is working on as thin of margins as everyone says...then maybe it is time to rethink the value of a billed hour.

5. "Environmental Technologist"

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average salary and benefits.

Cons

Does not reconginize extra effort by those not in the executive track.

6. "They are a very caring co cmpany, I really felt I was doing everything right. Until I was told I was being laid- out"

Former Employee - Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Yoyu will come into contact with a lot of different people the jobs within the firm there are over 500 or more employees with in the company.

Cons

Just be mindful come in doing your work, you can be doing your work and then someone comes and say. We are sorry we are going to need to let you go

Advice to Management

You may want to be careful what you say, cause some can take it like you are trying to take some ones place.

7. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Since day one I’ve felt like I was a valued employee of this company. As an intern I learned a lot that will be used in my career after college.

Cons

There have been no cons during my time at Benesch.

8. "So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best way to describe Benesch is that this company CARES. Management really cares about how engaged you are and how well you are performing within your role. Whether you are an engineer or in a corporate position, most employees are very welcoming. The company provides great training and also ensures its employees are taken care of from a benefits perspective (top notch health insurance/401k). At least once a month, we have donut Wednesday at the Chicago office to celebrate our birthdays and have frequent bonuses (3-4x times a fiscal year). They also just implemented a paid parental leave policy for both women and men. Annual engagement surveys are taken seriously and any issues employees are not too happy about are carefully reviewed and addressed.

Cons

- Building elevators
    - Below average number of paid holidays
    - Low number of office events
    - HSA contribution only benefits a healthy person with no family.

9. "Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Vice President, Executive Management in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Executive Management in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a manager, my greatest joy in working at Benesch is creating career opportunities for young engineers. We've hired many people right out of college and most are still with us 10, 15 and 20 years later. I derive great satisfaction in seeing them progress from designers to project engineers and ultimately project managers. Even though engineers are often referred to as the "invisible profession", I try to instill in them that their work enhances the quality of life for so many people. Whether that's through designs of safe highways, clean drinking water or clean streams, our employees really do make a difference.

Cons

You may sometimes be asked to work outside of your discipline to help others maintain client commitments. Not everyone enjoys this, but it is this type of work sharing that prevents us from becoming a "hire and fire" firm.

10. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Civil Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Design Engineer

I have been working at Alfred Benesch & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alfred Benesch & Company practices what they preach. I have never worked for a company that focuses so much on developing their employees while truly giving them work-life balance options! The benefits are well above average for the industry and they seem genuinely concerned for their employees well being.

Cons

I have found none so far.

Advice to Management

Continue the supportive environment and hold on tight to the people first philosophy you have cultivated!