Alfred Nickles Bakery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
David A. Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Alot of work and long hours but very good pay"

Pros

The pay and benefits are very good. The product you are selling is and easy sell because their products are well known.

Cons

Long days. Availability to have needed days off are virtually none. The main office isn't reasonable with the way it is to run business.

2. "Bakery Helper"

Former Employee - Bakery Helper in Massillon, OH
    Former Employee - Bakery Helper in Massillon, OH

I worked at Alfred Nickles Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Lots of drama over bid jobs and seniority.

Advice to Management

Getting rid of bid jobs

3. "Sales Supervisor, route driver, trash man, errand boy."

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Massillon, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Massillon, OH

I worked at Alfred Nickles Bakery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was home every night with my family. Insurance was pretty solid. Offered a good amount of paid vacation weeks.makes a good product

Cons

Disrespected, overworked, under appreciated, under paid. Upper management loves to talk down to the route salesmen. You selling bread not performing brain surgery.

Advice to Management

Don't go to all yellow plastic

4. "Machine Operator"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Lima, OH
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Lima, OH

I have been working at Alfred Nickles Bakery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a local business conveniently located. For the most part everyone takes pride in their work. A safe environment is very important. The team work especially among our line is exceptional.

Cons

There's no employee incentives such as profit sharing, bonus' , and or a decent raise. Sometimes the company can be a little unorganized. There's a strong lack of communication especially with supervisors and office personal.

Advice to Management

NA

5. "Distribution Checker"

Former Employee - Distribution Checker in Massillon, OH
    Former Employee - Distribution Checker in Massillon, OH

I worked at Alfred Nickles Bakery (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, full schedule hours, co workers

Cons

Tedious work, constant movement, heavy lifting

6. "Good pay, but long hours"

Former Employee - Salesman in Martins Ferry, OH
    Former Employee - Salesman in Martins Ferry, OH

I worked at Alfred Nickles Bakery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the Ohio Valley, this is one of the better paying jobs unless you are a skilled laborer or college graduate.

Cons

Very long hours. It's nothing to have to work 12-14 hour days. Having to deal with the public, store management and bakery management and trying to please all

Advice to Management

A little bit more help on holidays

7. "I should of left a lot sooner.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

I received a pay check!

Cons

Wow... They cut and cut employees until there was 1 person doing a job of 2 full times and 1 part times... Oh and don't forget all the other things that they added on...While I never called off or was late... They never had a safety meeting.. or any type of meeting ..so like everyone else that worked there. things would change and no one seem to know. Union was no help and that was a waist of money and time.

Advice to Management

Get a safety program in your branches going. HR' CEO should visit and talk to employees.. as you tend to chase off good people that won't put up with the ill practices that have happened.
    performance and attendance should be considered.When I was called in to cover call offs for people yet they received increases for Tardys, Call offs or leave earlys of 20 plus days a year.

8. "Lack of employee support!"

Former Employee - Route Driver in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Route Driver in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Alfred Nickles Bakery (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Meet a lot of nice people while working out in the community.

Cons

Poor conditions to work under. Money is not worth demands. No hot water at depot, being yelled at when you call off ill(even if it's only twice a year), do not abide by union contract, failure to support employees(slow truck maintenance) and lack of recognition of length of service and job difficulty.

Advice to Management

Manage. Corporate blow throughs are not enough. Support employees by improving working conditions as outlined above. Discipline employees prior to termination, valuing the difficulty of the job and length of service. Definitely improve in the HR department, practices are asking for legal action.

9. "Your expected to eat,sleep,breath Nickles....Sell Your soul to earn a living."

Former Employee - Route Sales in Parkersburg, WV
    Former Employee - Route Sales in Parkersburg, WV

I worked at Alfred Nickles Bakery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits (not soo great if You keep track of Your hours)

Cons

Too many hours......Start Your work day at 1-2 am and not finish until Your done with Your route,which in most cases was between 3-5 pm....even though the contract called for 11 hrs....The branch I was at had too many accounts and not enough routes to cover them all in the alloted time frame without going over the 11hrs........No work/life balance at all.....Management doesn't care about You/just Your sales figures......I liked the work,just had no life outside of work and wasn't fair to My family.

Advice to Management

Stop being soo greedy,quit lying to Your Drivers and add on more routes to lighten the work load.

10. "I really enjoyed my time and gained tremendous experience working here."

Former Employee - Route Sales in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Route Sales in Elkhart, IN

Pros

Being able to work directly with the public.

Cons

They Downsized. Closed all the Indiana and Michigan branches and put a lot of families in bad situations.

Advice to Management

I really loved working for this company but to do what was done to all of us in Indiana,Michigan and to the transport drivers who delivered to our area I feel was un excusable.I talked to quite a few people who were around during previous administrations. Everyone of them would say back in the day you wouldn't have seen what you see today.The previous generations of leadership would not approve of the way things are today.The Elkhart branch was in business 55 + years . I know times are tough,but looking at a map.It is farther to go to Cleveland than to Elkhart from Lima,which is where the majority of our trucks came from. I'm sorry but I would not want to be in your shoes when someday you will meet your previous generations and you explain to them how you destroyed what they built. You should have continued your Great Great Grandfathers dream. He started this company not you. You should have started your own company if that was your dream. My advise is to go back and see what the founders of this companies dream was.