Alfresco Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Alfresco Software CEO Doug Dennerline
Doug Dennerline

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work with an excellent work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Most departments can work from home (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a little lack of communication between departments (in 3 reviews)

• Also upper management is pretty nice except for a few people (in 4 reviews)

"Like most jobs, it is what you make of it"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Alfresco Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in support for almost 6 years. So, I really want to give an honest and very fair opinion of what it's like to work here. From my perspective:

Alfresco is customer oriented but also employee oriented. They also have made big strides in how they treat their partners.

Most departments can work from home. Even those where you generally have to come in most days, you still get an opportunity to work from home one day a week. I live in Colorado (office is in Atlanta) so I got to work from home nearly 100% of the time though I was asked to come to the home office for a week out of the quarter (most quarters).

Alfresco is full of bright and laid back people. You will certainly get a lot of help to do your job especially if you can show you are applying yourself and care about the quality of your work. Somehow I managed to get a trip with my wife to Kuaui a couple of years ago. Everything was top notch.

We did not use bleeding edge technology necessarily but you do get the chance to learn about a lot of different tech. Not only are senior engineers very knowledgeable but so are the customers. You will learn a lot very quickly if you simply pay attention.

My manager had high standards and pushed us a good bit but I found that be a positive.

There is a lot of opportunity to move into different roles in the company if you find one area is not your favorite.

The benefits are good but not nearly as good as they once were but I think this is commonplace for most businesses now in the U.S.

The pay is very good compared to other support jobs. If you are a producer, you will be rewarded and they will work hard to keep you. I can't help but think a lot of the complaints are coming from people who have come to Alfresco and not given their all but that's just a guess.

Honestly, if I wasn't going to where I am, I would stay here at Alfresco. They've treated me very well and I've made friends here that I will know forever.

The CEO is very fair, open and honest. If there is something everyone needs to know, he is very much willing to share that info with you. Doug is also very dedicated to Alfresco and gives it his all.

Cons

The product is in the ECM space. It competes with Sharepoint, Documentum and a few others. I'll be honest, Alfresco and Activiti are not very sexy. That's not always a bad thing. Though it is a product of necessity these days, I hear from sales that it can be difficult to sell.

You must be technically sound to do the support work here but be aware that most of the job is customer service rather than technical work, so be prepared for that.

When your customer fills out a survey based on the service they've received, that score stays attached to your name regardless of whether it was engineering's, marketing, support or product management's fault.

That can be a little frustrating at times especially when dealing with those who have unreasonable expectations but it will also help you up your soft skills game. You almost have to have the mindset of extreme ownership. But, that will at least help you should you decide to change roles and move away from support.

Alfresco is still hoping to one day go public. As such, there are corporate standards that have to be put in place and you have to bear that in mind. It's not a startup but some days it still does have that startup feel that attracted me initially.

Advice to Management

This is a tough business. It is what it is. You guys are doing the best that you can and honestly, I don't think another management team would do any better. Keep pushing and you'll get to where you want to go.

2. "Punching above its weight: disrupting the incumbents"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Alfresco Software full-time

Pros

No big company nonsense, great people, opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Early morning meetings with the UK

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on sense of urgency and leadership accountability

"A bag of trail mix with only a few M&M's"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Alfresco Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product itself is pretty solid. Difficult sales process but rarely did I lose a deal because of the product.

Co-Workers: Boots on the ground workers are all pretty talented and easy and fun to work with.

Middle management (that stays) is good at absorbing a lot of the crap coming down from above.

Matching 401k. Good benefits.

Cons

Ceo has the personality and inspirational ability of a dead moth.

Constant philosophical changes in regards to go to market strategy over my tenure. No less than 3 directional changes in that time.

Lack of vision. Company used to be a visionary but the current leadership seems to be much more conservative. Not a haven for bold or innovative thinking outside of engineering.

Turnover. Unbelievable turnover in sales. Caused by unrealistic quotas and expectations...

...seriously though ridiculous turnover.

Company really started to pinch pennies as I left.

Advice to Management

Alfresco as an open source company is rooted in the idea of being bold and thinking outside of the box. Get back to the company's roots. You can install structure into a company without completely ripping out its soul.

Drop Diligence from the company values lists. Its redundant/already encapsulated in the other 3.

4. "Sales Development Representative"

I have been working at Alfresco Software full-time

Pros

Very friendly, willing to train. Great benefit options. No micromanaging- which really makes me motivated! I prefer it as I feel as though I am trusted to do my job and execute, and I work harder that way. Paid holidays, allowed to work OT and get paid for it. Opportunities to reach accelerators to increase commission. A lot of inbound calls and emails mixed with outbound as it is nice to have a mixture of both. Paid work trips and reimbursement.

Cons

If you are not an early riser, you will not like this position. SDR's start no later than 7am, depending on your territory. I am East Coast so I am in the office at 6am-which I love!

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Alfresco Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks in the break room, nice vacation accrual, a few capable folks in various roles, all wearing 17 hats. Most people not in the sales organization are nice.

Cons

Turnover. I lost count of how many managers I had over the space of a year. The entire team turned over at least once as well. Nothing sparks confidence for customers like having a new rep every 6-12 months. Rigid license structure (subscription only, regardless of deal size or wishes of the customer) and people having too many job functions means it is hard to get things done in a timely manner (seriously - all these posts about turnover are 100% accurate). I think the longest tenured sales person in the Americas is 2 years.

Advice to Management

Continue to replace your entire sales organization every 1-2 years (cycle, rinse, repeat). It inspires confidence in the Board, and nobody is left to remember that you just did this a year or two ago.

"Good place to start your career"

I worked at Alfresco Software full-time

Pros

This was a great place to start my career. The team I was on was great. Everyone always helped each other and it was pretty great to be on the team.

Cons

The pay is pretty bad. I see that a lot of the people here also mention that. Also upper management is pretty nice except for a few people. It is pretty obvious that 5 star reviews are being used to replace the low scores people are giving you.

You should probably take that into consideration when people look at this site all of the time.

Overall, I am pretty neutral on this place. It was a good opp, but I do not recommend staying here because you will get held down and they will not let you live up to your potential.

7. "Company has good people and technology"

I have been working at Alfresco Software full-time

Pros

coworkers and peers are great to work with

Cons

bonus plan needs some tweaking

"Abandoned Ship Just In Time"

Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Alfresco Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some pretty cool software and work with some really smart people. You'll also get the opportunity to travel internationally. Thanks for the trip to Barcelona!

Cons

Those really smart people probably won't be there 6 months after you start. I've never worked at a company that had as much turnover as Alfresco. And the new sales regime that was brought in to "turn things around" are making decisions to barely keep their own jobs afloat.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter. They'll keep doing the same thing regardless of the outcome. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

"Listen to your employees!"

I have been working at Alfresco Software full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good benefits.

Cons

The management team walks around making decisions that are a) not communicated through the company and b) clearly show that they have no idea what is really going on in the company on any given day. They act as though everything is fine, it is not. No one is empowered to make any decision, and forget about raising any issue with a manager, it goes nowhere. It is no wonder that attrition is so high, there’s only so much people can take. There are people who are not qualified for the position they hold yet are being hailed as the best and brightest, it's almost laughable.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the people who are actually doing the work day in and day out are saying and do something about it. COMMUNICATE! And that doesn't mean countless hours of all hands meetings, it means at the manager level provide direction, communicate clear expectations and hold people accountable. Short of a complete overhaul, which is unlikely, management across all layers needs some serious training.

10. "Great employees and product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Very innovative product, great staff and really smart people to work with. World wide presence and market. US locations in the Bay Area and Atlanta.

Cons

Management is not very focused on retaining good people. Could do a lot better in terms of maintenance of existing software, sometimes trade off maintenance for new features.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to retain your employees!