Algolia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 20, 2019

4.2
Nicolas Dessaigne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company cares about great people" (in 6 reviews)

• "Just feel so excited to pass through all steps, because with Algolia, I definitely had toughest but fair & memorable recruitment process" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Naturally with any start up's there will always be growing pains" (in 3 reviews)

• "No cons, I am excited to come to work everyday" (in 3 reviews)

"3 years in - still exciting 💥"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Algolia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things are moving fast. New offices, crazy growth, new colleagues everyday, new products, new teams, so on and so forth. It is time to get onboard. Like any company out there, growing is a challenge. But guess what, who can scale a company from 30+ employee to 300+ in 3 years without issues ? Literally no one. We are still at a moment where it is easy to iterate, debate, pivot, change and move forward, together. Our executive team is extremely approchable, and my voice still counts.

What is exciting for me is that it is still easy today to experiment new things and have an impact at an individual level but also at a company level. If you have an idea, let's just do it and see what happens (I am in the engineering division). And if something goes right, ok, let's invest in it.

And the product is really cool - but the most important thing is the people. From a human perspective but also skills and work ethic perspective, Algolia has set the bar very very high for the future.

Cons

Communication between offices is a struggle - Paris/SF/London/Atlanta/NY - and it is hard to get everybody on the same page. But it is a topic that is currently being worked on. First step, we are just coming back from a company wide offsite in Marocco - where we got the chance to meet all the offices and its people, just to make sure that we understand that we are all on the same ship, same project and same goals!

"in need of new executive team"

I have been working at Algolia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing special. same things that all other companies have.

Cons

it might not be possible to list all the reasons this place is falling apart. HR/ recruiting team is both lazy and incompetent, hiring the same for the whole company. sales team leaves at 3 pm or doesnt show most days. paris team is delusional in thinking that Algolia is a thing anywhere but paris and most don't have basic skills such as knowing how to use google calendars/zoom or respond to emails by clicking reply all and get confused when things dont move forward. Most of the csm team come in and do nothing half of them have zero traction with their target customers based on salesforce. long-standing employees are the most entitled and think that they are untouchable and dont need to work at all. the executive team with the exception of one has no idea what they are doing. to list only a few

Advice to Management

the only advice that can be given is for the founders to finally be aware of the fact that they are not the ones to take this company forward and you are terrible at hiring other executives.

"Sold on a dream"

I have been working at Algolia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free snacks and 2 lunches per week
    - Extravagant parties at off sites
    - Some nice people

Cons

Like most of the employees at Algolia I was sold a dream. If you think it's too good to be true.... it will be and it is here. I haven't heard of anyone that is happy. Look at LinkedIn to see how often people blow through here. The employees that stay and are promoted are always French, US employees are always passed on, or told they do not have the experience. Sales are regularly told they're a disappointment by management, and US sales management and reps have churned again and again, marketing has burned through management over and over. This all comes back to what all negative reviews say ..... executive leadership has no idea what they are doing and needs to go. Algolia could be a great product in the small to medium sized business space. They will sell you on the values, but you will never ever see them in play -- total jokes.

Advice to Management

Bring people in that have done this and have real empathy towards their employees.

"can this be 0 stars?"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Algolia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

autonomy
    flexible schedule
    free food
    learn how not to run and manage teams

Cons

There is a reason when there there is a negative review, some positive ones pop up. Because management asks us all to review positively to offset negative reviews while they try to get them removed A.S.A.P. We are run by people who are clueless and spiteful. We will never IPO and will keep sinking. As another review mentioned -- look at LinkedIn to see how much of sales & marketing & other groups have left -- execs, managers, and staff. This company is a money grab for the entitled founders who feel they are owed something by investors. Employee moral could not be lower. Get out quickly, and if you are interviewing here you will be happier anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Never manage people again, stop lying to employees

"Ship on fire! Let’s get out of here ASAP!"

I have been working at Algolia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People staying to collect a paycheck only, not enjoying their work.

Cons

Run by pompous yet clueless French white males. Mess and drama all around, from founding team trickle down to incompetent legal, HR and all other teams. Bad and fake culture. Lots people leaving in the SF office in all departments especially marketing and sales. France office would have more turn overs too if job market there is just as good as SF.

Advice to Management

Find true execs and management company to run the show

"RUN AWAY!!"

I have been working at Algolia full-time

Pros

Good office locations, free snacks

Cons

Uninspiring and clueless French founding team. Lots turnover in the SF office, especially in marketing and sales (check LinkedIn).

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Algolia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are very friendly and welcoming! The first thing I noticed when joining the team was the incredible amount of transparency.

Cons

So far, I have no cons.

"Total disaster"

I worked at Algolia full-time

Pros

Algolia has great employees and for what it does a great product. The new US office is amazing, and pretty much everyone gets to go to Paris -- even if it makes no sense for what you do.

Cons

Algolia preaches strong culture and a happy work environment, but I would say with certainty that Uber has stronger and better culture than Algolia even does. This company is loaded with nepotism - friends constantly hire their own friends for management positions. I question what sales management actually does. They go to sales meetings, sit there and have no impact or assistance for anyone in the room. They hire people and leave them to fail without trying to properly help or train. Every sales manager has no experiencing managing, and is just riding it out to get a paycheck and be able to call themself a director or VP.
    It is safe to say that a lot are on their way out of Algolia. People are leaving left and right or are actively looking for new jobs elsewhere before public perception does a 180.
    Algolia needs to stop marketing itself and hiring on being Enterprise ready.

"Great, Thorough Interview - Awesome Culture!"

I have been working at Algolia full-time

Pros

The company cares about great people. The interview process is thorough and long, because they want to get to know you and let you get to know the team/company. Great opportunities to travel to offices around the US and to Paris!

Cons

Not really a con - the company is growing. FAST. This means you have to remain flexible in your responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Even keep the compensation transparent.

"The Closest Thing to a Dream Job"

Current Employee - SDR in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - SDR in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Algolia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Challenging and stimulating work
    -Transparent company with trusting managers
    -Great place to work if you are autonomous and prefer freedom over structure
    -Amazing coworkers that challenge each other and could easily be friends outside of the workplace
    -Amazing benefits, PTO, and perks
    -Competitve salary and opportunities to grow/travel
    -Happy Hours

Cons

-I love change and fast-paced environments, but if you prefer structure then you might have a difficult time adjusting
    -I will say that for a young company, Algolia has impressive internal processes that are structured very well, but there's always room for improvement
    -I love improving and innovating, therefore I feel like I thrive here as opposed to someone who values stability and consistency over innovation and creativity

Advice to Management

Keep it up.