Alice & Olivia Assistant Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Alice & Olivia Assistant Store Manager Reviews

Updated Jan 7, 2020

1.0
Alice & Olivia Chief executive Stacey Bendet (no image)
Stacey Bendet

"RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Alice & Olivia full-time for more than a year

Pros

The toxicity brings people together.

Cons

By far the worst company I’ve ever worked for. The definition of a living nightmare. Run while you can... I’m not here to say that I’ve worked at a bunch of amazing companies, because I haven’t, but boy does this one take the cake. I don’t really even know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with the term “Micromanaging” which since working at Alice + Olivia has completely redefined itself. Management at A+O like to think they pride themselves on not “micromanaging” their staff when it’s quite the opposite. They have a log for just about everything you do. They want you to log who you reached out to, how you reached out to them (text, phone call, e-mail, postcard, etc) did they answer, if so what did they say, did they then come in to the store, if so how much did they spend... it goes on. Then you’re graded on how many postcards you’ve sent weekly, as if thats driving business or sales? I’m shocked I haven’t personally received a restraining order from what they consider “client outreach.” Its practically stalking and harassment. I’m surprised they haven’t made us all log how many bathroom breaks we’ve taken...I’m sure it’ll go into effect soon enough. Next up on the list I’d say is professionalism. I have never worked with such immature and unprofessional individuals in my entire career, not even high school. And this goes for the corporate employees, not the people just working in stores. It’s like everyone is in a high school popularity contest from the store managers, to the district managers, to training managers, and even as high up as directors of retail and CEO’s. It’s all a cut throat game of who can screw who over the fastest to get to the top. As an assistant manager I didn’t even feel comfortable telling my district manager anything because I knew it would turn into gossip between the whole company. Unfortunately this goes the same with the director and CEO of the company as well. All they do is talk about other managers, stores, and employees to other managers, stores, and employees. It’s disgusting. I’ve personally had the director of retail call me to ask about what was going on in a certain store that wasn’t performing and she heavily questioned me on each associate basically wanting me to gossip. Not to mention the level of favoritism is embarrassing. They don’t even try to hide the fact that some managers are clearly favored over others. Employees with the same exact position are paid completely different salaries depending on how much they’re “liked” in the company and people are given unwarranted promotions based off their popularity. They preach the quote “people promote themselves!” to defend the fact that the person blatantly doesn’t deserve the promotion in the slightest. There are even conference calls where managers are asked to speak about their fellow staff members and their “strengths and weaknesses” which then the entire company is listening to and then repeats everything that was said about certain individuals. I use to laugh it off by saying they’re just a bunch of girls who were losers in high school and were given some power and are now using that power for their own sick pleasure, but you can only laugh it off for so long. Don’t worry, they make it crystal clean when you’re not a favorite or a “cool kid” and then you feel like you’re right back in high school sitting alone in the cafeteria... except you’re at work and in you’re early 30’s. My third and last point is this company has absolutely zero appreciation or acknowledgment for their employees. They work their staff members to the bone, harass them weekly with sales goals, client business, events, conference calls, etc. and even when you have an incredible month its never good enough. They believe in write ups and will write you up even if you’ve made you’re sales goal for the month but did not achieve 3/6 KPI’s. I’ve seen some of the best employees who have worked with the company for 5+ years quit and they don’t even bat an eye. That’s because they don’t invest in their employees and could care less if they quit because they’ve already worked them to the absolute bone and they know that have zero intentions on ever promoting them. Only favorited employees are ever given an opportunity to be promoted and it’s never based off performance or merit. They make this job so stressful it’s as if you’re a surgeon instead of just selling cute clothes. The best part about all of this is that the director of the company will read this bad review, along with the hundreds of other bad reviews, and say “well that person just didn’t believe in what we stand for as a company.” Talk about delusional? Don’t you think if 100 people are saying the same exact thing there might be some truth to it? And instead of taking a step back and realizing that your turnover rate is so sky high that every single store has multiple positions available, you convince yourself that its not you and it’s all of us. I hope this company realizes that who they have on their upper management teams are what their ultimate downfall will be. They are slowly but surely demolishing this company. The company culture is so toxic I don’t know how I stayed as long as I did, and when I left for my new company I fully realized how sick it all was. They brainwash you into thinking the verbal and mental abuse is normal. Well it’s not. There is zero reason for a company to run like this. They preach “People work for people.” I’ll have nightmares about this place for the rest of my life.

Alice & Olivia2020-01-08

"Worst Place I've Worked In 10 Years"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Alice & Olivia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Gossip if I can say the most. There aren't any positive things about working in this company unless you are apart of the corporate clique.

Cons

Everything else honestly. They micro manage and demean all aspects of integrator one might have. Since I have been here 17 people have quit from store manager level down.

Continue reading
    Alice & Olivia2016-02-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 2 reviews