AlienVault Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2018

3.4
Barmak Meftah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Unlimited PTO, but only if your manager lets you use it" (in 5 reviews)

• "Office is nice, but you can work from home if desired" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "High turnover because quotas are not achievable, negotiate a large base salary if you want to work here" (in 3 reviews)

• "I have found no cons within this organistion" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Career Growth and Aggressive Compensation"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- AlienVault is an ideal place to work if you're a hardworking, self-starter, who has no problem leaning on the company provided support avenues when you need a hand

- The value add of USM is undeniable, and the positioning the company and software has in the security space is tough to beat - ideal for any sales person who knows their craft

- With the market position mentioned above, zero prospecting, steady inbound leads, and sales engineering support, it's hard to find a software sales position that matches up

- Rock solid benefits package

- Meritocracy based culture: If you do well, you will be compensated, recognized, and offered avenues of growth within the company.

Cons

No cons that are any different from any other software startup - primarily, change (and in the end, it's for the better).

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the employees and they will continue to invest in the company.

May 22, 2018 – AlienVault Team

Agreed! It is great to have invested team members that are excited about the growth and the trajectory of the company.

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competent sales management, they will not micro manage you as long as you know what you are doing.

Great product, with a bright future.

Training program is coming along well.

Unlimited PTO policy (usable at your discretion)

Cons

Working from home policy is pretty non existent.

Lack of travel for the sales team.

No 401k Matching

Advice to Management

Encourage a stronger relationship between sales reps and marketing & establish a sales presence at major conferences and trade shows to enable networking.

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This team is incredible. The fun that we have everyday is what keeps us striving to come back and be better.

Cons

HR is nonexistent. This is a 24 hour job. Quotas are attainable, but don’t exceed too much (it will be raised)!!

Some people are not liked in the office environment, but are apparently impossible to fire. Like a dog you just can’t put down.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from outside of the company and train and promote from with in. Fire people who can’t keep up.

"Account Executive"

I worked at AlienVault full-time

Pros

Stocked kitchen, nerf guns, typical start up feel, cheap benefits, unlimited pto

Cons

Boiler room style selling tactics, inexperienced mid-management, mixed messages from upper leadership, immature product that took AV that made Gartner swipe left on the SIEM MQ.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time

Pros

Great benefits, open PTO (manager approval), free snacks! I have worked for AV for a couple of years now, and I've had nothing but good experiences. The employees are great! They are fun, collaborative, supportive, and just a good group of people. My experience with management has been positive. They have been transparent (as much as executives can be), honest, and believe in the "open door" policy. I've never had an issue voicing my concerns/opinions with them.

Cons

With any company, comes gossip. I think if someone has an issue, it should be brought up to HR or their manager.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency! Employees will appreciate it. Also, please continue to allow your employees to be comfortable to speak with you with their concerns. They need to be ensured that their concerns will not lead to negative consequences.

May 22, 2018 – AlienVault Team

Definitely! Thank you for the feedback.

"Alien Management that treat you like you are the illegal alien"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New building
    Some great people that give it their all and the company doesn't appreciate it

Cons

No structure
    No leadership
    Micromanagement
    Unprofessional Managers that throw tantrums
    Vibe is that of a morgue
    Management by fear and intimidation so that you do "more with less"
    No 401K match

Advice to Management

The people can't make up for the culture and the way that Management treats their people. Does this company give raises or reviews? Rumor has it if you ask about a raise, you will find yourself gone. The company is so worried about marketing and sales that the rest of the company suffers. You should try adding more structure and processes instead of simply adding more sales and marketing.

Hi Anonymous,

We are glad to hear that you like the new Austin office and appreciate hearing about your personal experience. We regret that you feel leadership did not meet your expectations. We... More

"Great company with lots of opportunity"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time

Pros

Great security company with a huge growth potential.

Cons

Same as any other company

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at AlienVault (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing fast! However, it still keeps a mostly horizontal organization, which makes communication easier. You can just walk in any manager's office, no need for appointments .

Salary and perks are good! I personally don't care about snacks, drinks, and stuff like that, but if you are into modern, open space offices, with plenty of food around, this definitely checks all the boxes.

There's still room to improve and make your mark here. Yes, we're heading to play in the big boys league, but if you come up with a good idea, there will be somebody happy to hear it.

Cons

Mid level management don't add much value (mostly) . There are some growing pains, as happens in any organization, which seem to be more apparent when it comes to technical roles, and this is one of them. In some situations, it seems like certain managers would just speak to make sure everyone acknowledges they are in the room.

Culture clash between locations. This company has offices in three different countries, if I'm not mistaken, and communicating ideas is not always easy.

If you have read some other reviews, you would have noticed that there is some criticism going on about how "talent" is being wasted. There are some complaints about what seem to be blatant disregards of labour law. Are there disgruntled employees? Yes. Are they right? I don't think so. But they will try to make their complaints everyone's business. So, yeah, there are some toxic people, like anywhere else.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice a year, management would "lose it", meaning that there will be some yelling around. Who needs that? Still, better than other companies I've worked for.

Advice to Management

Get your mid level managers in shape. Also, tell them to be conciliatory and understanding. Getting two completely different cultures to play nice with each other is not a waste of time, and, sometimes, it's just a matter of correcting a word poorly chosen.

Nourish talent. It may be hidden in plain sight, or come from the most unexpected source. Don't let seniority and flashy resumes blind you, just hire the best for the job. Also, do a better job during the performance review season. Hire more, and let the dead weight go.

If something went wrong, your job is to filter out the bad stuff and come up with a plan to fix it. Being angry or impatient doesn't help. Breath in, then out, then speak about what we need to do to keep improving.

"Error 404 - Not Found: Career growth and continued education"

Former Employee - Technical Sales Enablement in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Enablement in Austin, TX

I worked at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- AlienVault is a cool place to work at for no more than a few months because you might learn something about an Information Security platform, and a bit about the industry.
    - Before a reorg and vision change last year, things were fantastic and everyone was happy. It's certainly a pro if you enjoy living in the past.
    - A couple of nice new offices in some locations. The kitchens and fridges are all always stocked with good snacks, breakfast foods, fruits, beer, soda, milk, etc.
    - The logo is hip-hop-happenin and swag bearing the AlienVault logo is everywhere.

Cons

- Formal continued education is non-existent. You will not be trained in the materials required to do your job. Though you will be trained in AlienVault software, that is simply not enough for one to be successful in the industry.
    - You will not grow as an individual or as an employee past a certain point, because continued education is not present. AlienVault is deployed into a wide variety of infrastructure environments, and even if you are not already a SME, you will not have a formal education on these environments, leading you to appear foolish to the customer. If you wish to better yourself and your career, you may consider looking elsewhere.
    - You will not be given the recognition you deserve. There have been many instances where individuals have gone above and beyone to develop and deliver projects, but the recognition was given to players who did not contribute, such as their managers, or other team members who are liked more.
    - Many key players are rapidly jumping ship, and they're not being replaced. That's not good for company-wide morale, as most employees recognize these people as key players, who appear to simply be throwing in the towel.
    - The product, documentation around the product, and the internal information systems are all very immature. Improvement is drastically needed on all ends.
    - The hiring process for replacements is failing. People are either overlooked for silly reasons or turn the job down because they see the writing on the wall.
    - Too many liars. For example: look at the recent flood of 1* vs 5* reviews.
    - Very senior individuals in the company are getting their hands in every little thing, and nobody likes it for obvious reasons. Just to name a few: They are dictating the way people should do their jobs, often times by re-writing your job responsibilities without consulting you, even simply for an opinion; They are putting strict restraints on the sales process, requiring each sale to have "executive approval", which can be insanely burdensome and stressful if you are in sales; They are asking people who have once previously held a position to tailor customizations specific to enterprise environments, to stop tailoring customizations to enterprise environments (I can only imagine how the larger customers feel about being told "ou're on your own..."); They they do not place trust in their managers below them to manage their respective teams, and to make things better they insist that they make their own contributions to everything process-related, which usually ends up with the process back at square 1 because nobody can ever agree on anything; They are getting involved in customer communications and interactions when there is an entire team of very talented individuals to do that already, which in the end, salts the relationship with the customer because it appears that AlienVault is coming at them from all angles and does not have their priorities straight; They support a toxic culture that does not respect diversity, even though it may appear that way on the surface.

Advice to Management

Consider another high-level reorg because nobody wants to work for you right now.

May 22, 2018 – AlienVault Team

We do have an awesome product. We appreciate all the positives that you outlined about the company so thanks for sharing. We recently implemented Lessonly, a new learning platform, for our employees... More

"Fail Whale"

Current Employee - Velocity Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Velocity Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free candy, soda and booze. Very competitive compensation, with commission. You have the potential to make a lot of money here. If you are a cute blonde, they may make concessions for you, no matter how bad you are at your job.

Cons

You do not want to work here. The product is ok, but the people are just a few cameras short of a messed up reality TV show. Alienvault is bleeding talent like a stuck pig and you are unlikely to find anyone here that has been here for more than a year or two, because nobody who has actually experienced this train wreck wants to be here. All the old timers and big brains are gone, and all that's left are the hopeless koolaid sippers and the kinds of snakes that thrive in cutthroat work environments. They may get a few suckers in and keep them around like Stockholm syndrome but by and large they do not care about integrity, or about people. They will use you like a dog toy until they're done with you, and then you are nothing, and nothing you ever did for the company matters.

Advice to Management

You'll hear it in my exit interview.