AlienVault Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barmak Meftah

1. "Marketing Team Member"

Current Employee - Marketing Team in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Team in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work, great environment for collaboration. Excellent management who listen!

Cons

No cons can be listed with this company! From my experience.

"A really solid startup!"

Former Employee - Security Research Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Security Research Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at AlienVault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well funded, in an exciting stage. Top notch executive staff - they know how to build companies. Engineering processes are really clean and the devops team is very cutting edge which makes developers happy. I worked on the labs team which was a very autonomous team the CTO admired and empowered. Almost no bs meetings, for engineers and researchers anyway. The marketing team and sales teams are beastly machines. Seriously experienced leadership for those groups as well.

Cons

If you're not in Austin, it is an uphill (losing) battle. As is true with most startups, talent is pushed to the limits, often little focus on individual growth and what you "want" to work on- You will work on whatever you are effective at. Recruiting is very informal. For a startup, this is truly a short list of cons - fixable too. If you don't stand strong
    And block out vacation time, no one will for you. So make sure to take a break!

Advice to Management

Estaff: Get out in front of gossip. Be more up front about the direction of the workplace. When executives are moving permanently from an office in one state to another, frontline employees should hear this from you, not their peers.

Mid level managers: Provide more feedback and 1 on 1s with individual contributors. Be more willing to accept criticism, it is the key to your own growth. Encourage your best workers to take vacation (and help them take it), otherwise they will burn out (we all know this but it's easy to forget).

"I'm loving AlienVault"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Trainer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Trainer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the casual yet motivated atmosphere -- lots of transparency. We provide a much-needed product at a critical time in the Network Security Industry. It isn't hard to be motivated about our present success and even greater future potential!

Cons

Our location on the far south of Austin means a nightmarish commute for those of us who live in the Northern suburbs.

Advice to Management

Consider an office location in the northern suburbs of Austin at the earliest opportunity.

"Great Atmosphere - Great Product - Great Team"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management supports the individual team players to excel and do their very best. We have a great product and brand that is fun to market and sell.
    Our team is made up of outstanding individuals that believe in the company and our mission. All and all a great environment and fun place to work.

Cons

We aren't taken for granted but would love to have more opportunities for advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and continue to lead by example.

"Excellent opportunity, great leads, amazing product, even more amazing team, well-positioned for growth and success."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, I wanted to give a 4.5 but unfortunately that's not possible and I feel Alienvault is closer to a 5 than a 4 so take this as you may.

Absolutely amazing product coupled with defined customer target and go to market strategy.

Amazing synergy between sales and marketing, have the customer journey from prospect to close down to a T.

Company is growing 75% YoY and is getting more and more positive reviews and feedback from industry experts and customers.

Great spiffs that keep job fun and engaging, new CFO and VP of Sales Ops have definitely helped with this.

The product kicks butt and absolutely NO ONE does what AlienVault USM does. Focusing on the mid-market that is traditionally ignored by most vendors and makes Alienvault the champion of smaller IT teams.

Convenient location in San Mateo, with new office down the pipe in Austin, plus opportunity to move to Austin at same compensation.

Really helpful team members, folks are always willing to add to email threads, answer product questions etc. Overall just great people that you genuinely like working with.

Cons

These are very minor but I wanted to get them on here as they do affect environment.

Need more office food perks. Listen, we're not asking for catered lunches everyday, but increasing the amount of fruit delivered daily, plus a wider diversity of drink options and snacks (they're there but somewhat lacking in variety) would be nice. It's the Bay Area and employees would appreciate a little more spend on this area. The coffee machine is great by the way (philz woop woop). Also, sales and support should get end of the month lunch vs just end of quarter. Would be nice.

Not a total need YET, but more sales engineers would be nice. As we grow this will be crucial in the future, please start hunting for more SE's.

Advice to Management

Let's keep focused on our amazing growth and the rest will fall in place. Continue to add headcount as necessary while we grow. But also, remember, we just raised $52mil so let's add a few more perks to the office. We have great leadership From mid to upper level, so let's just keep executing.

"Outstanding Company"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at AlienVault (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding work environment with a positive attitude from the top down. The minute you start everyone in the office wants to make sure you have everything you need. The team dynamic is excellent and a work/life balance is encouraged and supported.

Cons

There is a bit of disorganization however that is normal when there is high growth. I would recommend continuing to add policies and procedures to fine tune the sales machine.

"AlienVault is a company of very talented people working to solve real world network security issues."

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is doing some really exciting work and has a clear vision of where it is headed. As a recent addition to the team, I can report that everything from initial contact, interview process, hiring, and on-boarding has been without a single hitch. Management clearly is focused on company goals and people and it shows in the way the team works and supports its customers.

Cons

Company is a start-up so not all the perks of a large organization, but they are growing fast.

"An Honest Review From a Real Sales Person"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is great and it is an easy sell.

Management has done a good job of posting positive reviews in order to sway new employees.

Cons

So many cons. From sales person to sales person - RUN

*To start the management style. If you like be watched like a child with every step you are making be overseen by the VP, DIr and your Manager, well you will probably fit in here. But be careful because the moment management feels like you don't know how to do your job they will go around you and send emails to your customers. Even give them discounts. And don't expect to be included on the emails....you have officially been cut out. But don't worry, another rep will close your deals and get credit for it now.

*Management takes accounts and transfers them to other reps on the DAY OF CLOSE only to have the new rep get the credit and the one who did all the work get nothing. This did not happen to me but I witnessed it.

*Management talks down and belittles the sales people. Again this did not happen to me but I witnessed it.

*I saw reps closing deals in other peoples territories/states, enterprise reps closing SMB deals and SMB reps closing enterprise deals. All this was done ONLY if you were part of the "club". You know the way it works..if you are one of them you get all the perks and if you are not...well...good luck then.

*Unprofessional and inappropriate emails sent to the team.

*Quota is not a target that can be hit on a regular basis. Yes it can be and will be hit, but it is not likely to happen every month. This is not just for me...I did well there. This is an observation I made during my process of employment.

*They do not pay commissions on time or in full. Expect to have your commissions come in partially what is agreed upon. Then when you say something be prepared to be put off as long as possible and treated unfairly while begging for your pay.

*The whole sales process is skewed. HUGE price cuts trying to push a network security platform into a "velocity" sell. This is great but it will cut your commissions. Sending blind contracts out is promoted...even without having a meaningful conversation they will expect you to send a 30% off discount.

**This is real. All of the negative reviews on here are true-to-life. All of the good reviews (or at least the majority) are management. They were overheard talking about how to increase there PR on GlassDoor by posting fake reviews.**

I hope I save just 1 sales person from the hell that is AlienVault.

Good Luck and Happy Selling!!

Advice to Management

Try having some integrity and doing the right thing. Stop alienating people. Let you team manage their own business. Trust in each other. Stop acting like the sales floor is a fraternity that only some of the employees are members of.

AlienVault Response

Nov 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and review. Your feedback will help our management team work to make improvements for the Sales team.

"Great product and sales team. Horrible Sales Leadership!"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is a great product and leads pouring in the door. Good turnaround for new business.

Cons

It would be a great place to work except for the fact that upper sales management treats the business as a B to C business versus a B to B business. Sales skills are not used here. Management's strategies to complete a deal is to give a significant discount in price to close a deal versus listening to the prospects wants and goals for their project.

Upper management has no respect for their sales people nor do they want your opinion. You are a number and they will show it openly and provide a demeaning behavior in front of other sales people without hesitation.

While you do have a territory; that is subject to what upper management wants you to have. Leads and opportunities will be transferred out of your name at any time without regret, so as a sales person you are in a means of survival to make it here.

Advice to Management

1. Your sales people were hired based on their history of success in previous positions; respect them, listen to their opinion on how they will get a deal closed, treat them as human beings and not something you can replace easily.

2. Give your sales people a solid territory and let them work their territory effectively. Do not remove or switch it up multiple times in a year which can be ineffective in territory growth.

3. Stop demeaning your sales people. These are human beings. If you didn't think they are intelligent enough to have the job then don't hire them.

4. Let your sales people help improve the business by adding ideas on how to improve the process and corporate lifestyle. This will have a positive impact versus a negative.

"I don't always hit my sales goals...but when I do, I do it in 1 call."

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product & marketing model, great executive team & reasonable management team, great pay and benefits, good looking company logo and employees, success is measured by results not butt smooching, and credit is given where due. Not another order taking sales job, requires a seasoned professional who wants to kick butt and take names.

Cons

The commute (can be aggravating when the 880, 101 & 280 experiences excessive breaking due to Prius & Leaf drivers).

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team and being supportive.