AlienVault Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barmak Meftah

1. "Marketing Team Member"

Current Employee - Marketing Team in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Team in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work, great environment for collaboration. Excellent management who listen!

Cons

No cons can be listed with this company! From my experience.

"A really solid startup!"

Former Employee - Security Research Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Security Research Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at AlienVault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well funded, in an exciting stage. Top notch executive staff - they know how to build companies. Engineering processes are really clean and the devops team is very cutting edge which makes developers happy. I worked on the labs team which was a very autonomous team the CTO admired and empowered. Almost no bs meetings, for engineers and researchers anyway. The marketing team and sales teams are beastly machines. Seriously experienced leadership for those groups as well.

Cons

If you're not in Austin, it is an uphill (losing) battle. As is true with most startups, talent is pushed to the limits, often little focus on individual growth and what you "want" to work on- You will work on whatever you are effective at. Recruiting is very informal. For a startup, this is truly a short list of cons - fixable too. If you don't stand strong
    And block out vacation time, no one will for you. So make sure to take a break!

Advice to Management

Estaff: Get out in front of gossip. Be more up front about the direction of the workplace. When executives are moving permanently from an office in one state to another, frontline employees should hear this from you, not their peers.

Mid level managers: Provide more feedback and 1 on 1s with individual contributors. Be more willing to accept criticism, it is the key to your own growth. Encourage your best workers to take vacation (and help them take it), otherwise they will burn out (we all know this but it's easy to forget).

"Great Atmosphere - Great Product - Great Team"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management supports the individual team players to excel and do their very best. We have a great product and brand that is fun to market and sell.
    Our team is made up of outstanding individuals that believe in the company and our mission. All and all a great environment and fun place to work.

Cons

We aren't taken for granted but would love to have more opportunities for advancement within the company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and continue to lead by example.

"Excellent opportunity, great leads, amazing product, even more amazing team, well-positioned for growth and success."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, I wanted to give a 4.5 but unfortunately that's not possible and I feel Alienvault is closer to a 5 than a 4 so take this as you may.

Absolutely amazing product coupled with defined customer target and go to market strategy.

Amazing synergy between sales and marketing, have the customer journey from prospect to close down to a T.

Company is growing 75% YoY and is getting more and more positive reviews and feedback from industry experts and customers.

Great spiffs that keep job fun and engaging, new CFO and VP of Sales Ops have definitely helped with this.

The product kicks butt and absolutely NO ONE does what AlienVault USM does. Focusing on the mid-market that is traditionally ignored by most vendors and makes Alienvault the champion of smaller IT teams.

Convenient location in San Mateo, with new office down the pipe in Austin, plus opportunity to move to Austin at same compensation.

Really helpful team members, folks are always willing to add to email threads, answer product questions etc. Overall just great people that you genuinely like working with.

Cons

These are very minor but I wanted to get them on here as they do affect environment.

Need more office food perks. Listen, we're not asking for catered lunches everyday, but increasing the amount of fruit delivered daily, plus a wider diversity of drink options and snacks (they're there but somewhat lacking in variety) would be nice. It's the Bay Area and employees would appreciate a little more spend on this area. The coffee machine is great by the way (philz woop woop). Also, sales and support should get end of the month lunch vs just end of quarter. Would be nice.

Not a total need YET, but more sales engineers would be nice. As we grow this will be crucial in the future, please start hunting for more SE's.

Advice to Management

Let's keep focused on our amazing growth and the rest will fall in place. Continue to add headcount as necessary while we grow. But also, remember, we just raised $52mil so let's add a few more perks to the office. We have great leadership From mid to upper level, so let's just keep executing.

"Outstanding Company"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at AlienVault (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding work environment with a positive attitude from the top down. The minute you start everyone in the office wants to make sure you have everything you need. The team dynamic is excellent and a work/life balance is encouraged and supported.

Cons

There is a bit of disorganization however that is normal when there is high growth. I would recommend continuing to add policies and procedures to fine tune the sales machine.

"AlienVault is a company of very talented people working to solve real world network security issues."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is doing some really exciting work and has a clear vision of where it is headed. As a recent addition to the team, I can report that everything from initial contact, interview process, hiring, and on-boarding has been without a single hitch. Management clearly is focused on company goals and people and it shows in the way the team works and supports its customers.

Cons

Company is a start-up so not all the perks of a large organization, but they are growing fast.

"Love the teamwork!"

Pros

Rita Selvaggi is a great leader for the marketing team - we all work together to attain metrics that push the company forward. The sales team works well with marketing - it's not contentious between marketing and sales - we are in lock step. The product is great and our target market is growing. The product team has really become impressive, especially in the last few months after bringing in some very effective and experienced management. Super healhy and supportive work environment. Great CEO! Also, with metrics driving the business, decisions tend to be driven by facts rather than opinions, which is quite effective.

Cons

If you don't like to move fast, learn and innovate, might be a bad place to be. I happen to love it, but some people might not like the fast and challenging pace.

Advice to Management

Add quarterly bonus plans, based on goals and stretch goals, to non-sales positions. Promote from within where possible. Do whatever you can to keep the culture, fast pace and innovation going as we grow.

"Great Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AlienVault as an intern

Pros

- Hierarchy and bureaucracy are minimal
    - Very friendly work environment
    - Interesting work that is genuinely helpful to the company
    - Management is accessible

Cons

- Company is on smaller side, so limited number of people to go to for expertise
    - Main development office is in Spain, so more difficult and time intensive to get questions answered.

Advice to Management

- Maintain the minimal bureaucracy and good employee relations
    - Perhaps try to somehow streamline communications with other offices if it is possible

"Great culture"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Approachable leadership that listens to employees, great benefits, nice offices. What we bring to the table actually helps people do their jobs.

Cons

Poor product decisions, animosity between the US and Spain-based development teams, no trust between product and marketing. Product seems to make decisions that go against feedback from the sales team.

Advice to Management

Both the product and marketing teams need to listen to sales when they tell you features that people are willing to pay for.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at AlienVault full-time

Pros

The leadership team, direction of the company, culture and room for growth are all reasons I love working at AlienVault. It's hard to find solid companies to work for today, and AlienVault is known for being in the top of the security space, which you can see by the hard work every employee produces on a daily basis. The team values their work, its customers, partners and has a great work hard, play hard mentality.

Cons

Still in start-up mode in a few ways where communication across departments is lacking, but you can already see improvements by the management team to ensure everyone is on board with the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue allowing each team player to have individual say in his or her role. The management team is open to everyone's opinions and ideas, which is a great policy and helps keep communication flowing and open at all times.

AlienVault Response

Dec 9, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is fair and valuable.