Alion Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.8
Steve Schorer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management doesn't appreciate the fact there is life outside Alion (in 20 reviews)

• Was an employee owned company, then they wanted to go IPO, then some venture capital firm gobbled them up (in 10 reviews)

"Excellent company with great benefits."

Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion (Less than a year)

Pros

12 Days leave starting, Paying me what I asked for, family medical, dental, and vision for about $300. Good professional development. Gym in my building.

Cons

None that I can think of. Could use better Alion pens and lanyards. I like medium point gel pens please.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best and pay them extra because they are worth it.

Jun 29, 2017 – Sr Sourcer

Thank you for your response. We are happy to hear that our competitive benefits package, on site amenities and career pathing meet your needs!

2. "Excellent Talent Manager and Interview process"

Current Employee - Applicant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Applicant in Washington, DC

Pros

Talent manager in DC office was candidate- friendly, responsive and thorough. A true refreshing experience from a veteran job applicant!

Cons

None - again, my point of view is one of a very satisfied applicant/candidate.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your focus on talent acquisition.

Jun 28, 2017 – Sr Sourcer

We are elated to hear that you had a positive and seamless experience with our Talent and Acquisition team. Our goal is to always provide the white glove treatment to our employees, beginning with... More

3. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity, competitive salary, competitive benefits, location

Cons

High turnover, management often disconnected

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when given constructive criticism

Jun 21, 2017 – Sr Sourcer

Thank you for your feedback. We take retention very seriously, and are working diligently on this. Our goal is to make sure employees are heard, please continue to provide feedback to your managers... More

4. "Great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Facilities in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Facilities in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great place to work the people here are very helpful and the work load keeps you active. I really enjoy it here, A great place to grow.

Cons

I have no cons

Advice to Management

Great job

Jun 19, 2017 – Sr Sourcer

Without our employees’ contribution and dedication, Alion, cannot, and will not succeed. We thank you for joining our team and look forward to the long lasting relationship.

5. "Being a part of something great....."

I have been working at Alion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alion’s reputation in the industry, and defense work is what peaked my interest in seeking possible career opportunities with the organization. The Recruiting team periodically reached out to me over the years to see if I was in the market or where I was in my job search; a rare in the ever evolving world of Recruiting.

The Human Resources team is very informative and extremely responsive, you do not fall into a “black hole” once you apply. Needless to say, my hire was positive, seamless and the on-boarding was very transparent. If I asked a question, I received a response same day. It’s a collaborative environment and every staff member has been extremely helpful and pleasant. I am looking forward to a long career with Alion.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons thus far.

6. "Change Management"

Current Employee - Human Capital in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Capital in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team commardarie & the company is making changes that will make Alion the employer of choice, competetiive Total Rewards package & long term planning.

Cons

Need a more flexible worklife balance model that mirrors industry trends ie telework, flexible schedules

Advice to Management

Corporate is implementing cultural changes & management needs to adapt to the change of Leadership vs managing human captial and become an advocate & influencer of change.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New blood at the top gives some hope for a prosperous future. New processes are turning the tide. Customers love the Alion teams.

Cons

Still need a top leadership flush. The inability or unwillingness to invest in new technology severely limits the company's growth and transformation.

Advice to Management

Delegate, empower and trust. Put people in positions across the company that are qualified and capable of doing the job. Then give them the freedom to do it. Inviting them to McLean to perform in front of executives only serves their egos and has an opportunity cost.

8. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work upward mobility

Cons

no cons at this time

"Run by a bunch of Thieves"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

A paycheck that shows up for now every 2 weeks on the normal Friday and in 2017 by some ludicrous payroll schedule that will alternate the pay days and pay periods. The clown(s) that came up with this should be fired. Supervision makes a point to tell us survivors that we are lucky to have a job.

Cons

You work hard while you wait 2 years for a contract award and when you win the contract, you really feel like you lost. People laid off, Paid Time Off cut, No raises for the foreseeable future, Insurance Package cut for 2017 and they have the nerve to tell us what we had was overly generous, and the Uncompensated Time Policy that requires us to work at least 10% more even though it was bid as suggested and voluntary.

Advice to Management

To Bahman Atefi and the rest of the gang......strap on those golden parachutes and bail out now. You have done a disservice to all of us!!!

"14 months in..."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Familial vibe, some opportunities to telework, decent benefits, opportunities to meet & mingle with Navy clients, exciting projects

Cons

Pay (at least mine) is slightly below average for my position/locale. Benefits could be better. Management doesn't seem to be held accountable.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to recognize employees who go above & beyond - realize they are your best asset. Compensate based on performance, not time-in.