Alion "interesting work" Reviews | Glassdoor

Alion Employee Reviews about "interesting work"

Updated Sep 18, 2019

3.7
Alion CEO Steve Schorer (no image)
Steve Schorer
Pros
  • "Flexibility, good benefits, progressive management(in 17 reviews)

• "Great coworkers, okay benefits, flexible hours, good work-life balance, some interesting work(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of Communication from Upper Management(in 23 reviews)

• "Top level management should have been fired years ago as they have drowned the company in massive debt while earning annual(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "interesting work"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Alion Spectrum Group Review"

Current Intern - Engineering Intern

I have been working at Alion for less than a year

Pros

Close knit company, almost everyone is very nice and helpful, good pay for an internship, often leads to job offer afterwards. Options to travel for work if you are a full time engineer. Flexible hours. Has some interesting work. Good management.

Cons

A common problem for both interns and sometimes full time engineers is that there are periodic lulls in work where you might have little to do. These can last a few days to a couple weeks depending on circumstances. It is of course worse for interns but you wont always have something to work on. They are also a bit slow getting you started on work.

Alion2019-07-08
  2. "Depends on what you work on"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Alion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, okay benefits, flexible hours, good work-life balance, some interesting work.

Cons

Company is fractured into different groups. Not much room to move up.

Alion2019-09-18

Alion Response

October 8, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a collaborative environment for all of our employees and are continuously looking for ways to enhance career paths. If you would like to discuss this further, we encourage you to contact us at hr@alionscience.com

Continue reading

"Human Capital? Or Cattle?"

I have been working at Alion full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers not brought in by the buddy system. Interesting Work at times. Recent Employee Survey (but no reviews and minimal raises planned after 2 years with no raise whatsoever). New CEO after +4 months on the job finally communicates by email to all employees. Paycheck (that we are constantly reminded that we are lucky to have, though it is on a very erratic and slightly insane schedule)

Cons

Benefits Group 4 consistently loses benefits (PTO cut and out of pocket medical costs increased while Group 1 gets rewarded again and again). Doesn't Group 4 deserve work-life flexibility too? Uncompensated Time that we are quietly required to put in while managers tell us to go elsewhere for a job if we do not like it. Major Retention Problem throughout the company. Way too many Group, Ops, Division and Program Managers. Nightmare meltdown of our ESOP that impacted the lives of many Legacy Employees while benefiting the very few at the top.

Alion2017-10-28

Alion Response

November 20, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide a very detailed review for Alion to consider. As with any government contract organization, there is a balance that needs to be considered between remaining contract competitive and providing the best total rewards possible. We are consistently looking for ways to provide better options for work-life balance to our employees. As we continuously work to improve our organization, it is important for us to hear what our employees are thinking, and welcome the opportunity to discuss these thoughts with you further. Please feel free to contact us at hr@alionscience.com.

"Interesting work"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion full-time

Pros

Interesting work, great team members, floating legal holidays, great clients, flexibility, pay is adequate.

Cons

Debt, transitioning fROM employee owned, management is secretive

Alion2015-08-12

"Ok, not great.."

I have been working at Alion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work sometimes. Decent facilities. Local mangers are pretty good.

Cons

Too much middle management. Office culture is acidic and secretive. Corporate management are scared of their own shadow. Almost all of the interesting work is subcontracted.

Alion2015-07-12

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Alion full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Lots of great technical folks, especially the ones I work with. -Very interesting work for my business unit.

Cons

-No leadership at the corporate level but they are very good at dictating and tasking. -No direction from upper management on where they want the company to go. -Huge debt causes every decision to be made on cash flow. -Support functions believe that Operations should support them. -Each unit operates and behaves independently, often not the maximum benefit of the company.

Alion2015-04-21

"Not doing well"

Program Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Alion

Pros

DoD contracts, smart people, interesting work.

Cons

Alion stock, which is a company/employee owned, has gone from the 40s in 2006 to about 2 now. The company seems to be in significant financial trouble.

Alion2015-02-22

"Poorly Run Company with Too Much Debt"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Alion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work on government contracts. Get to support cutting edge technology.

Cons

Alion is in a death spiral. Read their financials. They have been refinancing unsecured debt with new high interest secured debt (giving up equity). Roughly 10%of revenue goes to pay off creditors. They routinely fail to pay key subcontractors -including small businesses with limited capital. Management is unethical and breaks teaming agreements and has to make short term decisions that negatively impact it's customers. Run from this company. And do not invest in it if you hope to get a return.

Alion2015-02-20

"Treat Employees Well-ESOP is Near Criminal Theft"

Former Employee - Senior Military Analyst

I worked at Alion full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting people in many interesting work environments. There can be mobility between groups/work centers. Supervisory philosophy is very good.

Cons

Alion management can be a bit reluctant to be technically adventurous. Upper management has essentially destroyed most of the value in employee 401Ks within the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Mine went from over $160K to just over $6K in value. Much of this appears to be due to over extension of credit in an attempt to grow quickly through acquisition. Many employee owners saw this as a hazard; the employee rep was removed from the board, partly over this, as the employees clearly "didn't understand." The great riddle is 'why is the same CEO in charge?' I suppose the answer is that the board is in his pocket. The lesson of Alion is to stay away from ESOP firms. SAIC may have been a fluke. Alion is certainly a lesson in how corporate governance doesn't protect employee owners.

Alion2014-12-26

"So far so good.........."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting work, regular hours, decent pay, concerned managers on the overall....good coworkers, customers (the government) can drive you insane but overall they are a good group of people.

Cons

My manager is too down in the weeds, he needs to be concerned more on customer (the government) needs and the managing of his personnel then on the product we deliver which has not been complained about. Your now a manager.......manage.

Alion2014-08-20