AlixPartners Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

New York, NY

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Simon Freakley

Pros
  • multiple opportunities and career path possibilities for growth and having impact, supportive teams of very smart people without egos (in 14 reviews)

• You get to work with a great group of people on interesting, high-profile projects (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance - I'm not sure its more imbalanced than any other top consulting firm (in 24 reviews)

• The managing directors oversell the competencies of employees and behave like spoiled teenagers when things don't go as they had promised to clients (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great environment, great people"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture, exceptional people, positive environment -

Cons

Fast paced, but to be expected in a consulting firm

Advice to Management

Keep growing

2. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Administrative Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly and incredibly intelligent people
    -Committed to your development and growth

Cons

Cant think of any at the moment.

3. "Good company"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at AlixPartners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent assignments
    Small teams
    Lots of leeway
    Global presence
    Lots of very smart and dedicated employees
    Directors have tremendous experience in the industry and provide the backbone for the firm

Cons

Compensation is obscure. Have to be vocal to stay at par with market which can be strenuous
    Low work / life balance
    Travel 100%
    Management is hard to reach for discussion
    Not a true partnership - firm is owned by PE/investor
    Some management/admin positions are "rewards" to old friends leading to skills problems
    Retirement plan is very meager

Advice to Management

Standardize comp structure

5. "mediocre"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AlixPartners full-time

Pros

Good pay but not in proportion of long hours put in

Cons

bureaucratic, they all act like a "cow boy" mentality

"Good ol' boys club"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is competitive to market rates. People here appear to be generally intelligent and there is a hard working mentality.

Cons

Based on former employees about joining the firm as a female minority, I was pessimistic. Some LOBs appear to be better than others. Choose carefully if you are committed.

Advice to Management

Cultural change takes time.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Lots of Experienced People, Great Industry Relationships. Great Career Trajectory for Hard Workers.

Cons

Work Life Balance Is Not The Best.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing...It is working well.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AlixPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

...there are some good people in certain LOBs, but it is a dice roll if you get put into the wrong one.

Cons

Nepotism, cronyism, boy's club mentality...recently conducted an internal survey on diversity and gave themselves a failing grade.

Advice to Management

Don't just say you are going to change things for women and minorities...actually do something.

"Great firm to work for so far!"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deliver results - I came from a big consulting firm (10K+ consultants) and we did similar work but I never felt I was actually helping the client's bottom line. At AlixPartners we really do get to impact the client's bottom line and it is very rewarding.

Smart people - Super smart people....not cocky about it and are happy to teach and coach. I've worked with some of the smarted people on my engagements. Its helped me learn much faster than I have in the past

Collegial environment - AlixPartners has a "inverted pyramid" structure, meaning there are more senior folks than junior analysts and associates. At first I wasn't sure how well this model would work, being used to the typical pyramid model. But it does work and its mainly b/c everyone at all levels rolls up their sleeves and does the work, creating a very collaborative and collegial environment.

Good compensation - I've only been at one other consulting firm, but I have many friends at other firms and from what I can tell AlixPartners compensates very competitively. The structure is more bonus heavy than my last firm, but that didn't mean my base salary was less....all upside.

Cons

Diversity - There is definitely a lack of diversity at the firm. However, I do believe leadership is working very hard at improving this. I'm not sure how long it will take to shift, but I think we're headed in the right direction. I think this firm is only going to get better as we become more diverse.

Work/Life balance - I'm not sure its more imbalanced than any other top consulting firm....its what we signed up for. I have noticed that we do a lot more short and intense projects that by nature are less flexible and require more concentrated hours than typical 3-4 month engagements. I knew this going in so I'm OK with it....others may not.

Transparency - As a small(ish) firm, we don't have nearly as much structure as where I came from. While I've enjoyed the change in size, it has definitely been an adjustment not knowing exactly how certain decisions are made (e.g. year end reviews).

"Good company trying to get better"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to make an impact, to work outside your specific sphere of responsibilities, strong external reputation

Cons

lacking in diversity, lack of transparency into comp/review process, but the company is actively working to address both of these issues as well as to create a culture that fosters a work-life balance and personal development

Advice to Management

keep working toward the goals you are espousing and show results soon to maintain credibility & enhance ability to retain key talent

"Losing sight of what made the company great"

Current Employee - Management Consulting in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management Consulting in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO strong. Work with some very smart and talented people. Work for some great clients on projects that really make a difference

Cons

Largest service area of company has very poor representation of women in leading roles (managing directors). Has been a gradual erosion of the teamwork that made this firm great, as the company has increasingly rewarded sales and utilization at a personal level.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk! Truly judge and reward staff based upon their demonstrated commitment to the core values. Reduce the corporate overhead and allow the people in the field to make more decisions.