AlixPartners Reviews | Glassdoor

AlixPartners Reviews

Updated June 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • multiple opportunities and career path possibilities for growth and having impact, supportive teams of very smart people without egos (in 14 reviews)

• You get to work with a great group of people on interesting, high-profile projects (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance - I'm not sure its more imbalanced than any other top consulting firm (in 24 reviews)

• The managing directors oversell the competencies of employees and behave like spoiled teenagers when things don't go as they had promised to clients (in 7 reviews)

1. "Financial Advisory Services Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President, Turnaround Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President, Turnaround Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at AlixPartners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is higher than direct companies however it's a very racist and sexist organization.

Cons

Not the best career option for a woman of color. Managing Directors are not encouraging, or welcoming of differing opinions.

Advice to Management

Take the time to branch out and connect with millennium employees and/or anyone offfering a differing opinion. Change happens when you listen.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Lots of Experienced People, Great Industry Relationships. Great Career Trajectory for Hard Workers.

Cons

Work Life Balance Is Not The Best.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing...It is working well.

"Some of the smartest people in consulting!"

Former Employee - Director, Enterprise Improvement in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director, Enterprise Improvement in Chicago, IL

I worked at AlixPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a senior experienced Director, I had a chance do perform so really impactful work with some great co-workers. This is not about pyramids, this is about knowing what to do and doing it! It is put up time. The partners I worked with all understood the value I could add and, together, we helped the clients succeed.

Cons

Remember that this is a consulting firm so get over the work life balance. Your client is likely coming out of some form of distressed work-out. They expect that you will be there to make them successful.

Advice to Management

Eric Hillenbrand was a great boss! George Hughes is a real pro!

"Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are of high quality. In restructuring the firm gets good cases based on reputation. Lots of experienced consultants.

Cons

Politics have been an issue, repeated changing of organizational charts and diversity issues have plagued areas of the firm.

"Board Level Work"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at AlixPartners full-time

Pros

work on toughest issues for CEO, Board, or PE owners

Cons

can't hire fast enough to keep up with demand

Advice to Management

keep the focus on getting real results for clients

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AlixPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

...there are some good people in certain LOBs, but it is a dice roll if you get put into the wrong one.

Cons

Nepotism, cronyism, boy's club mentality...recently conducted an internal survey on diversity and gave themselves a failing grade.

Advice to Management

Don't just say you are going to change things for women and minorities...actually do something.

"Great firm to work for so far!"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Deliver results - I came from a big consulting firm (10K+ consultants) and we did similar work but I never felt I was actually helping the client's bottom line. At AlixPartners we really do get to impact the client's bottom line and it is very rewarding.

Smart people - Super smart people....not cocky about it and are happy to teach and coach. I've worked with some of the smarted people on my engagements. Its helped me learn much faster than I have in the past

Collegial environment - AlixPartners has a "inverted pyramid" structure, meaning there are more senior folks than junior analysts and associates. At first I wasn't sure how well this model would work, being used to the typical pyramid model. But it does work and its mainly b/c everyone at all levels rolls up their sleeves and does the work, creating a very collaborative and collegial environment.

Good compensation - I've only been at one other consulting firm, but I have many friends at other firms and from what I can tell AlixPartners compensates very competitively. The structure is more bonus heavy than my last firm, but that didn't mean my base salary was less....all upside.

Cons

Diversity - There is definitely a lack of diversity at the firm. However, I do believe leadership is working very hard at improving this. I'm not sure how long it will take to shift, but I think we're headed in the right direction. I think this firm is only going to get better as we become more diverse.

Work/Life balance - I'm not sure its more imbalanced than any other top consulting firm....its what we signed up for. I have noticed that we do a lot more short and intense projects that by nature are less flexible and require more concentrated hours than typical 3-4 month engagements. I knew this going in so I'm OK with it....others may not.

Transparency - As a small(ish) firm, we don't have nearly as much structure as where I came from. While I've enjoyed the change in size, it has definitely been an adjustment not knowing exactly how certain decisions are made (e.g. year end reviews).

"Good company trying to get better"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

opportunity to make an impact, to work outside your specific sphere of responsibilities, strong external reputation

Cons

lacking in diversity, lack of transparency into comp/review process, but the company is actively working to address both of these issues as well as to create a culture that fosters a work-life balance and personal development

Advice to Management

keep working toward the goals you are espousing and show results soon to maintain credibility & enhance ability to retain key talent

"Great Team / Be Ready to Travel"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with a great group of people on interesting, high-profile projects. You get a lot of exposure at the highest levels. Most of the leaders are willing to teach you as long as you demonstrate that you want to learn.

Weekends and scheduled vacations are generally respected. There may be some weekend work, but it's generally the exception. It's extremely rare that someone would have to cancel a scheduled vacation to cover work responsibilities.

Cons

Depending on the engagement, the work load can be pretty tough. You may find yourself working i-banker hours without the i-banker comp. When they say 100% travel, you should expect that. The standard for most engagements, at least in the beginning, is 5-days per week on the road.

Some engagement leaders care much more about the success of the case than providing opportunities for career development. Once you are known to be good at something, you need to push very hard to expand your skillset.

Advice to Management

Drop the culture of 5-days on the road every week. Adjust compensation commensurate with the work load.

"Losing sight of what made the company great"

Current Employee - Management Consulting in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management Consulting in New York, NY

I have been working at AlixPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO strong. Work with some very smart and talented people. Work for some great clients on projects that really make a difference

Cons

Largest service area of company has very poor representation of women in leading roles (managing directors). Has been a gradual erosion of the teamwork that made this firm great, as the company has increasingly rewarded sales and utilization at a personal level.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk! Truly judge and reward staff based upon their demonstrated commitment to the core values. Reduce the corporate overhead and allow the people in the field to make more decisions.