KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

51% Recommend to a Friend
100% Approve of CEO

Found 19 of over 27 reviews

2.9
All Across Africa CEO and COO Greg Stone and  Alicia Wallace (no image)
Greg Stone and Alicia Wallace
1 Rating

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
    There are no pros to display at this time.
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Covid hurt a bit

Apr 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for and a great cause.

Cons

Growing pains in a good way.

1 person found this review helpful

COO

Yes, it did. We agree, physically, psychologically, financially. Covid took a toll. Wishing you the best in your future endeavors, former employee. Thanks for your time, talents and energy towards building a better world for all. We're grateful and wishing you the best!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

great company

Apr 12, 2021 - Brand Ambassador
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexibility and it is wonderful

Cons

travel to and from various locations

1 person found this review helpful

COO

Thanks for your positive feedback as a Brand Ambassador. We know that's been one of the more challenging roles in the company was out traveling to and from locations, representing our brand, on your feet, selling and working with customers. It definitely created a lot of challenges for us internally, and I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. Wishing you the best as we are no longer selling in this method / channel.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Challenging, Rewarding, Community-Driven Company

Feb 8, 2021 - Project Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Impactful work. Driven and helpful team members. Macro management style. Flexible, creative, growth-oriented, results-focused environment.

Cons

Fast paced atmosphere can be a difficult environment to master the learning curve in.

Be the first to find this review helpful

COO

Thank you for your feedback and flexibility and hard work in our fast-paced environment!

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good product with absolutely horrifying management

Feb 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I do love this product, the baskets are lovely, and the mission is good. That's where it ends.

Cons

Wow, where to begin. This is sad to admit, but I cried almost every day at lunch time in my car while I was working here. This was an incredibly toxic and terrible work environment. By the time I worked there, and the time I left (voluntarily) half of the employees had left and turned over. Please just take a moment to look at the bad review on here and how the management responds. They respond by belittling people and not taking ANY fault for any of these things. At some point, you have to realize that when multiple people are giving you low reviews, it's your fault, not the employees. A lot of these reviews have already touched on it. The CEO and COO bicker and fight and it was incredibly awkward. The pay when I was there was 30 k a year, for a full time job, living in San Diego, and you were expected to get up at ALL hours when needed. I'm talking waking up at 3 am, put out a fire for an hour or more, then being expected to go into the office right at 8 am on time. Then having to work after hours as well "being on call" if there was an emergency. No over time, no nothing. Not to mention the ridiculous policy of having to wear "business appropriate clothes" to the office when you're sometimes handling warehouse products or you're on the phone all day (nothing client facing). You are treated horribly, underpaid, over worked, and they try and sell it to you all under their guise of a "mission" and "helping the women in Africa". I remember when I went in for my interview I got the WORST feeling, and for some reason I was so excited to help women in Africa, I just brushed it off. Within 2 weeks two employees had quit, and one employee pulled me aside and apologized that he had not known my personal e-mail because he would have discouraged me from taking this job. The company fridge was a teeny tiny mini fridge, and was always filled with the COO/CEO's stuff so no where to put my things. There wasn't even a water cooler. We were not allowed to have headphones in while working, and if we played music from our computers we were scolded. So we sat all day in deafening silence. No one spoke, and any time anyone had to get on a call the entire place could hear it and hung on every word. Google-voice wasn't working once and I was told to "call google and figure it out" in the most condescending tone I've ever heard. The absolute un-awareness of someone not knowing that you can't just call Google (from the COO, who is young enough to know better) was shocking. I still have nightmares about working for this place, and don't even put it on my resume because whenever someone asks me about it I get so upset remembering how myself and my co workers were treated. BE WEARY of these 5 star reviews, I HIGHLY suspect they were written by Greg and Alicia themselves (the COO or CEO) or friends that they made write it. It's truly a shame because the product and the mission is something I really do agree with, but I can not support a company that treats it's employees the way Greg and Alicia do.

COO

I'm very sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience with our company. There have been many challenges to growing a mission based company - the type of work required, the pay scale getting started, the stress and learning curves along the way. We have grown tremendously as people, as a company and as change agents in the rural areas where we work. We hope you've grown and changed over the many years we've not worked together too. Wishing you the best in your future.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rewarding work!

Mar 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working for AAA has been very accomplishing for me. I've been working for them for nearly 12 months now, so I've seen the company during all seasons of the year. We often receive huge shipments, packed of pallets with products that need to be processed, organized and placed on the right shelves. Whenever we have a busy week like that, our COO gathers the whole team to help out with that, with a contagious good energy, positive attitude and hard work. We all get to bond, laugh, come up with strategies to make our work easier and get to know each employee a little better on those days. We can clearly see what teamwork is all about. It's busy and fun! And plus, it's organized and clean! The product shelves are very well organized by rows, letters and numbers, so makes it easier to find or add a product. The office and warehouse floor are always clean. It's hard to see dirt or paper on the floor. The work environment is fun and happy and makes you feel very comfortable to create, debate, share your thoughts and opinions. There are always a bunch of healthy snacks, fruits and even vegan treats available for employees. We are always celebrating someone's birthday with balloons and cake and lunch on different restaurants. These little gestures makes us feel appreciated and cared for. I admire the CEO and COO's positive attitude during different seasons of the year. They are always figuring it out ways to make our work easier and giving us feedbacks in a friendly and respectful way. I appreciate their knowledge and professionalism on doing business and dealing with all of the international issues that are involved. We have no idea how appreciated our work is by the weavers and artisans in Africa. We receive feedbacks from our team in Africa every week and that's really rewarding for us. So many families and lives are being changed because of this company. I am thankful that they are centered in honesty, good values and the most important: humanity. They won't accept anything that puts those values in risk. It's been an amazing year. Thank you AAA.

Cons

Nothing to add here. I'm very satisfied with everything.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Proceed at your own risk

Feb 17, 2020 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supporting a great cause, really cool products

Cons

Extremely low pay (seriously go work at chic fil a and get paid equally if not more) with unrealistic expectations. I think the core issues stem from the owners making costly mistakes and dumping this onto their employees to clean up their messes. It’s very clear that their personal lives are way too intertwined into their business which makes it extremely uncomfortable for employees and an unprofessional environment. If you don’t believe me - look at the COOs responses to each of the bad reviews on this page, they refuse to take responsibility for their own actions with very unprofessional responses calling out employees. Expect to work in a silent office of employees that do not talk to each other because culture here does not exist and I don’t blame them either, employees are tired and jaded. Management has shared personal information about employees with the rest of the team without consent as well, talk about a major HR violation! This company is unable to scale and grow over the past few years and it has everything to do with management.

5 people found this review helpful

COO

Hello Former Employee, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with our company. Our goal is to change the lives of men and women in Africa - that mission is serious, big and very hard at times. I'm sorry you did not feel valued, appreciated and heard and well-compensated. We have grown a lot as leaders and a company. Thanks for your input and feedback.

7. 1.0

"Embarrassing"

Jul 3, 2019 - Warehouse Picker in National City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

ALWAYS being interrupted by employees while you're trying to get your job done, high standard of work from managers with NO communication from those managers, the associates assigned to their department would NEVER actually be in their department. You even heard the saying loser city and your the mayor well there are a lot of mayors there . I started working there seasonal for the Christmas mad dash to get order out the owner make promises to me she never kept .After the holiday she lets the crew and I go. she uses people and lies and new employees like me . squashing there hopes of landing a new proper job so she lies in here web of discontent and misery . Missing hours from pay check is a usually thing for me there working me like a slave No structure and bad management .Cramped quarters, blocked aisles, racks subpar debris ev Warehousing inventory for key accounts has created cash flow issues. Low morale among overworked middle management with lack of advancement

Cons

The owners have no idea what they are doing. They treat their employees like trash.

5 people found this review helpful

COO

Hello Anonymous warehouse worker - yes, the Christmas season in 2018 had a lot of growth challenges, including a messy warehouse, a new crew to get a big job done and a lot of tight timelines. We agree we don't want to run our business this way, which is why our warehouse and our staff look completely different now this season. Best to you and your future career, you'll find the right fit, we're sure of it!

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Revolving Door....step right up your the next ............

Jun 7, 2019 - Lead Warehouse Associate in National City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

super cool products ..,It's not just about taking a piece of Africa into your home; it's about changing perspective.”

Cons

This is a real review cause there is no way in hell that all across africa has gotten four or five stars fake profiles made by the owner probably ..welcome aboard ….putting jokes aside this the is worst company i ever set my feet inside and i dont want this to happen too anybody else dont let the cool products fool you theee is dark clouds over that place once i left clouds disappeared . where do i begin Zero guidance, angry owners, angry clients, brow-beaten staff, false promises if not weekly turnover, , " over-promising, , zero trust, depressing atmosphere, constant finger-pointing, no team dynamic, poor leadership! This company is disfunction and disorganization rolled into a ball of complete disappointment. ,nothing good to offer except dysfunction, poor morale, and sickness, people will start heading for the door to find a better situation. If you notice a high turnover rate in your company or department, take that as a sign of a toxic workplace. And to top it off with all the bad and no good there is a click who act as there the coolist among the bunch but there not just haggered indivduals living dismal lives who cause many errors but point the fingers and never edger to pull the trigger too get something done correctly or on time then they jump with a sudden ugency cause there so layed back now now now it needs to be completed the good harding working employees of AAA suffer by geting thrown undernathed the bus for there mistakes the only thing that seperates you from me is that you have been working longer which means nothing in the real world once your out of there life replunishish you like running through a dark tunnel and seeing the lights at the end of the tunnel so dont let this happened to you other wise it could be lights out

COO

Hello warehouse lead, Yes, you were with us during a very difficult 5 month time when we had a busy holiday season and needed a lot of temp holiday help for unrealistic deadlines and the COO was preparing and on maternity leave with a new person as the point. We agree that things needed to change in the warehouse and have made drastic changes to the layout, culture, staffing and environment to make this a place we actually want to be. Best to you and your future, we know you'll find the right fit.

9. 1.0

Unfriendly Office & COO with Volatile Personality

May 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good cause, nicely designed pieces.

Cons

All Across Africa is a company in need of a serious office facelift and reorganization. The atmosphere inside is one of constant urgency and anxiety, resulting in regular passive aggressive behavior amongst several of its employees. The small, overworked team sits in a fog of stress, frustration, and deafening silence. All Across Africa is severely understaffed, and generally, some team members seem to stay within their lanes, reluctant or unwilling to help each other or quick to pawn a task to someone else in order to meet unrealistic deadlines set by the COO. This is the company culture of All Across Africa. The COO, though caring for the people her company serves, is a nightmare to work with and is generally rude. A disagreeable individual who can often be found reprimanding her employees or taking out the frustration of her own mistakes on them. Tension is always high at this office. A single engineer exists to create and maintain inventory processes within the company, and one warehouse manager in need of an assistant to help. Employees seem to hide mistakes or (passive aggressively) place the blame on each other. The turnover rate here is extremely high, with new employees regularly joining and quitting soon after.

10 people found this review helpful

COO

Hello anonymous employee, thank you for your feedback. We hear you - we all have been underpaid in our mission building company and it's been a serious challenge. There has been a lot of room to improve on the stability and systems in the company, including HR, expanding the team to lighten the workloads and opening up communication. We've made tremendous progress and changes on all accounts. Wishing you the best!

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible work culture and leaderships

May 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company has a good mission that is making a real impact on people in Africa. Cool handmade sustainable products.

Cons

Pay is incredibly low for the local cost of living and skill sets required in the positions they offer. If you want to work there plan on being overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. Executives spend a lot of time and company $ traveling yet don’t compensate employees in US fairly. Executives come and go as they please but hold employees to strict 8:30-5pm schedule. The COO pays herself hourly. There’s a lot of weird dysfunction between execs and their personal lives bleed into the work environment, making it very uncomfortable for employees at times. Employees have huge disdain for execs/upper management and relationship between execs and workers borders on abusive. If you’re looking for a design internship, this is not the place for it, as there is a total lack of structure and mentor ship in the product design department, which is a 1 person team in the US along with a bunch of outsourced designers in Africa. Because the company is small you’re required to do what you were hired to do, unless you’re assigned to do something super random outside of your job description and pay grade. Then you’re required to do whatever is asked of you in the spirit of “wearing many hats” .that is just a code phrase for “we need to shift this responsibility onto somebody and don’t want to pay to hire someone else so it’s your job now!” Everyone there is so stressed out with their individual workloads that the vibe among coworkers is really timid and awkward, not friendly and open at all, and employees are def. not happy. Also because this company so small there’s virtually no upward mobility, opportunities for advancements, or raises. I would be weary of the reviews saying how great this place is- the executives are known to have written a few of the reviews themselves, and also have asked the team to go on here and write positive reviews when negative ones have come up. The reality is sadly that you will save yourself a lot of time and grief by avoiding the mess this company is.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews