All Star Directories, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Bill Hummel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Terrific views, great location, outstanding benefits, most co-workers are very nice and considerate (in 5 reviews)

• We genuinely believe that we can make a difference in our world (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of big talk from Senior Management (in 7 reviews)

• It's most likely this area that is the reason for such high turnover in the company (in 5 reviews)

"Great Place to be NOW!"

Pros

There are some very smart and driven people here who care about one another and about creating success. There is an opportunity to make a difference and to contribute here. The office environment and location is amazing, and the benefits are outstanding. There

Cons

There have been a few bumps along the way, but I think that we're coming out on top.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the new goals, and keep listening to your people - there are good things happening.

"Please Read the Negative Reviews and take Heed"

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time

Pros

There aren't enough positive things to justify working here. They have snacks....

Cons

This place is a joke. Management is shady and unscrupulous. There is no growth as this is such a small incestuous company and the market for their product is shrinking.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and be real

"Good Company, good people"

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere
    Great location Pike Place!
    Stocked drink fridge
    Random snack days
    Nice people
    TINYPulse
    Ability to wear multiple hats

Cons

Limited upward mobility due to current size of org.
    I can't bring my dog to work every day.
    I honestly can't think of anything else.

Advice to Management

Keep using TINYPulse and newly established feedback loops to hear employees frustrations.

"stop taking money from the poor"

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time

Pros

- clean, bright bathrooms
    - nice doorman in the lobby
    - no travel and expense policy
    - great office location and able to leave as often as possible

Cons

not sure where to begin;
    - untrustworthy management
    - unrealistic expectations
    - no career advancement opportunities
    - company is operating in a dying industry
    - unable to grow and transition as needed in a rapidly moving market
    - CEO is out of touch with reality
    - culture and values are mandated from the top down
    - management communicates false company survey results (100% of employees DID NOT complete)

Advice to Management

- if you're going to pay consultants to help fix what's wrong, do what they say
    - learn to pivot
    - cross train your employees
    - treat your employees like they're valued
    - provide competitive benefits, don't just say they're competitive
    - stop handing out stock options like you're a public company

if all else fails;
    - quit

"Not for the performers, a great place for the weak who can't get job in other companies."

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Super relaxed life.
    You can do nothing and get away with it.
    Most people use this place to get a paycheck and have tons of other businesses, activities, and hobbies outside.

Cons

Execution is non existent. A lot of big talk from Senior Management. Strategies, next year, big goals, blah blah. But when it comes down to actually "doing", its the same excuse - blame game again when things can't be done. Don't expect any bonuses in this place as most years this company is unable to hit its goals. Not to mention, don't fall into the equity trap this company will offer you. Remember this company is private and independent. There is no reason for them to exit soon, so your equity or options are worthless. They have no investors, so there is no pressure to exit.

If you decide to take an offer, please ask for a very high base salary. That'll cover you and give them the reasons I've outlined here above.

Senior management there are squatters. Been there for 5+ years and are enjoying their lives. A great 10 to 5 life after which, silence till the next day. Expect no independence here. Just expect a good old "I'll tell you what to do and you do it". Don't waver from that or you'll be the "bad guy or gal".

Values are on the wall and they are non existent on a day to day basis.

The biggest joke is HR. HR tells everyone that they should go on Glassdoor and fix the reviews and should write something positive about the company.

Most people who left didn't leave because they failed, they left because they are worth a lot more somewhere else. Their calibre is better suited at top companies in the Seattle are as compared to "All Star Directories".

"Literally sick sick people run this place"

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time

Pros

I cannot think of a single one

Cons

Let me tell you something...

You will be told a story to explain away all of these negative reviews. Of course you will. You will be shown graphs and charts and 'plans' for the future of the company.

It is all crap and you are better off going elsewhere. All Star has a terrible name in Seattle and in this industry and it will be hard for you to find work afterward. Better to just not have this on your resume. Trust me.

I cannot even begin to tell you of the sick, manipulating, lying, twisted behavior that comes out of this leadership team.

All I have to say to anyone considering working there is, "You'll See."

Advice to Management

if there were a real board, senior leadership would be ousted.

"Loved It There"

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people. Collaboration is encouraged. Forward thinking management team. Relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

A couple of sour grapes trying to undermine our success.

Advice to Management

Keep going and keep your open door policy in place. Let the sour grapes fall from the vine!

"More advice of the same"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Very motivated. They want to learn and succeed! I absolutely loved the people that I worked with; amazing HR and marketing teams!

Cons

Except for very few (marketing and Mike in HR), not super smart or savvy. The controller is a suck-up train wreck. Too many weird political games for such a small company.

Advice to Management

Get it together

"Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People work really hard and actually care –especially compared to other places I’ve been. The work life balance is excellent and the salaries seem very good but not as high as the big firms in town but I have a life and that’s a lot more important to me. My team is strong, overall great people that I enjoy working with, I respect my manager and I like what the company is trying to do. How many devs can say that? Since fall last year leaders have been doing things like satisfaction surveys, revising the Mission and actually responding to the areas we voiced concern about. I’ve seen an improvement already in things like communicating goals to us better, explaining long term strategies, etc. The survey was interesting – everyone answered. Seriously 100% participation and managers weren’t begging us or incentivizing us. That alone shows how people here care. I forget the exact % of satisfied employees but I remember the consultant saying it was crazy high for industry (like 80%?). It logged in my head though that only 10% disagreed to the question of being satisfied at work. This doesn’t track at all with the negative reviews which is why I’m taking the time to write this. The negative reviews don’t represent things correctly at all IMO. Some adjusting of people was needed -some to move on and adding new over the last couple years and so some people left bitter. Is it awesome? – no. But it happens and seems like it's over. Those I knew weren’t slackers or bad employees - just they didn’t fit well and one had a not great manager but that’s not the norm. I genuinely feel like the company is on a good path so view the comments with the lens that they came from.

Cons

It’s small -not mega op for growth. Sometimes I feel like I’m working really hard but not gaining much ground. Our industry changes sometimes without notice so we can be working on something that gets derailed to put out a bigger fire. Or the need for what we’ve been trying to do goes away. Frustrating to see change gears thinking this is the same everywhere...at least at the other places I've been. Inter-dept communication still needs improving but it feels like they’re working on this.the icebox. Inter-dept communication still needs improving but it feels like they’re working on this.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and responding. Keep working more on communication. Keep adding events to know other depts better

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most amazing people you will ever meet, excluding management and pretty much anyone who has been there for more than 4 years. The people in the trenches doing the hard work are so amazing. I will give them that. I have made some amazing friends and learned a lot!

Cons

Exempt from overtime despite growing workloads resulting 0 to little work life balance.
    High Turnover Rates.
    Manipulative and Shady Management.
    Virtually no HR.
    Hard work at this company gets rewarded with more work while an inability to take on more work is met with being coddled and praised at the slightest accomplishment.
    Slimy business practices.
    The thing I hated most is that I stayed so long. Props to the people who made a dollar and got out quick or are just riding the wave. This company feels like an abusive relationship. It isn’t horrible 100% of the time but enough to hurt your feelings and mental stability.

Advice to Management

I honestly wouldn't even know where to start.