Allegany Optical Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Optician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotland, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotland, PA

I worked at Allegany Optical (Less than a year)

Pros

We had a lot of vacation time, about three weeks per year. The company is run like a small business, so you will definitely meet the owners and all the people in charge, and can actually pick up the phone and call them directly if needed. The commissions are pretty good. At a busier store, you could make as much as $800 or $900 extra per month. Seems pretty hard to get fired. I have seen people call off a lot, not show up and not call, be innappropriate to a fellow employee, steal, etc and mot get fired. Some people do get fired for little things, so it depends on who likes you and who you work for.

Cons

There are a lot of people "in charge" amd none of hem seem to communicate with eachother before issuing a memo or a new rule, so you will face many contradictions or be told you're doing something wrong when you are just trying to do your job. You have to use your vacation time for holidays when the store is closed or for snow days when the store cannot be opened. The owners have favorites who can do no wrong, but as long as you show up to work, do your job, and sell the products, you will be alright.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with disciplinary actions. If tardiness is against the rules, then everyone who is tardy should be given a writeup, not just the people who aren't as well favored. Be more positive and inspiring. There was not a lot of confidence in the quality of the products and in the competence of the company in my manager, and we could all tell. It affected morale.

2. "Receptionist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chambersburg, PA

I have been working at Allegany Optical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dress code is very relaxed. Nice co-workers.

Cons

The pay is very low.No training. Bad working conditions. Everything is old and they dont like to supply you with needed office supplies.

Advice to Management

Meetings for all employees sovwe can voice our concerns.