Allegheny Technologies (ATI) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Allegheny Technologies (ATI) Chairman,President & CEO Richard J. Harshman
Richard J. Harshman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay and benefits are very competitive" (in 15 reviews)

• "They have good benefits and good pay" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "needs more help from upper management" (in 19 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance, workload continuously increasing with deadlines being shortened" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Making the world a better place through Relentless Innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ATI is a world leader in specialty metals, technologies and manufacturing and the only ones that know are our customers. The public needs to know we make some really cool stuff and this is an great place to work. We are in aerospace and defense particularly jet engines, oil & gas, electrical, medical, automotive and other industrial markets. I sit in Cudahy and the atmosphere is cool, the people are friendly, pay is great, benefits are great and 401 (K) is great. I left a great job with good pay with a local manufacturing company after 22 years to come here. That should tell you something about this company and our future. If you're looking for a new career come join our team of great people, you won't be disappointed.

Cons

None as far as I'm concerned.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your vision and leadership. We have a bright future ahead of us.

2. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Albany, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits with competitive wages.

Cons

Presently movement of items through HR has been slow.

3. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Richburg, SC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Richburg, SC

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Personable Interviewers and answered all my questions

Cons

Horrible HR follow-up. Emails for information (benefits, etc) went unanswered, after 45+ days HR emails and ask if I was ready to sign a letter of acceptance for the job.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your HR department represents the culture of the company.

4. "Audit Group"

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time

Pros

Provides the opportunity to see various aspects of the business, along with getting to travel the world to see a lot of interesting places.

Cons

Work Life Balance, workload continuously increasing with deadlines being shortened. Internal Advancement to other areas of the business is very limited,.

Advice to Management

Have a stronger focus on internal employee growth and development and create a culture that will provide a solid work life balance.

5. "Management doesn't want to know"

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Salem, OR

Pros

Good pay and benefits. The Millersburg and 34th Ave. locations offer good training opportunities.

Cons

Lack of Leadership at Cast Products. No annual reviews for hourly. No budgets. No annual goals. Company cannot meet it's production goals. Lot's of promises but no follow-through. Using untrained, good employees as Leads rather than hire qualified supervisors to run the shop. Mass exodus due to lack of follow through on promises made to employees. HR is unresponsive. Accounting doesn't provide useable data. No ongoing salary training opportunities. Salem has tons of capacity but can't take advantage of it due to lack of Sales direction.

Advice to Management

Listen, Listen, Listen. Then take positive action WITH your leadership. Management is so caught up in the urgent get the parts out it doesn't spend any time on the future.

6. "Interesting company and the work was challenging. Management and policy questionable."

Former Employee - Wax Assembly in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Wax Assembly in Albany, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Some employees were friendly. The position I had was fun and challenging and I saw a future for myself at the company though I wasn’t there long enough to see if they actually provide advancement opportunities.

Cons

Management inflexible. Half the employees walk around looking scared to lose their job. Which did nothing to provide a positive environment. Training was unclear to my trainer who left me to my own devices half the time and had a hard time finding projects for us to work on. No constructive feedback was given and no clear training plan for individuals while in training on the production floor. My first trainer an older woman was very informative but my second trainer was ill equipped to provide the training for the job and didn’t know what was going on half the time nor was she willing to help in the transition to becoming a permanent employee by improving on individual skills for product quality.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible concerning ‘human’ matters of every day life. Perhaps request a doctors note for those of us that are not irresponsible about calling in sick before letting us go without more then an ‘I’m sorry, it’s policy’. Provide a clear training program for the production floor that advances individuals to projects where they can use their training and exercise their skills. Perhaps ask for feedback from new employees on improvements to their training. Most of all, take ‘being a human and not a machine’ into consideration please. Wages aren’t the only thing that attracts good employees. I will not be recommending this company to anyone. Perhaps the company has so many applicants for their company that they don’t feel the need to be even remotely flexible. I was hired through a staffing agency and got the flu during training. ATI has 100% attendance policy. I called in 2 days the same week with the flu. My supervisor advised me not to come in so I wouldn’t spread it and we would ‘talk’ the next day He let me go the next day at work (still sick). There was no attempt to provide a solution. I was NOT impressed with how my situation was handled. I never gave them any reason to question my work ethic, my quality of work, my attitude or my attendance. To make matters worse, I’m a single parent with a four year old and I was in the middle of moving from out of state when I was let go. Now we have no place to live while I try to find another position and I was sick with the flu for three weeks while trying to commute from state to state to establish work here. We’ve been set back two months because my savings had to cover bills while I was unemployed. All because I got the flu.

7. "Decent pay for the area"

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time

Pros

Decent pay and good 401k match. Benefits are par for the area. regular pay increases

Cons

Erratic scheduling difficult to get time off. Mgmt is slow to make changes.

"Management is all about power trip"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Millersburg, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Millersburg, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. A lot of opportunities.

Cons

Opportunities only come if you know whose behinds you need to kiss.

Advice to Management

Nothing to advice. They are not going to change.

"No Regard For Its People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time

Pros

Decent wages and benefits.

Cons

Employees are exited from the company, regardless of performance, when their tenure and experience takes them to the top of their pay grade. They have eliminated the positions of dozens and dozens of people in one day multiple times (not union/reclaimable jobs but non-union reductions that are straight up terminations) yet at the same time are hiring. On your way out you pass the folks waiting to interview.

Advice to Management

Pointless.

10. "Demoralizing"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry on an upswing

Cons

difficult coworkers, lack of comradery, lack of growth opportunities and training support