Allegheny Technologies (ATI) Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Allegheny Technologies (ATI) Chairman,President & CEO Richard J. Harshman
Richard J. Harshman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are very competitive (in 14 reviews)

• They have good benefits and good pay (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • needs more help from upper management (in 19 reviews)

• Working 3 on 3 off 12 hour shift but don't quite get a whole day of PTO a month (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Making the world a better place through Relentless Innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ATI is a world leader in specialty metals, technologies and manufacturing and the only ones that know are our customers. The public needs to know we make some really cool stuff and this is an great place to work. We are in aerospace and defense particularly jet engines, oil & gas, electrical, medical, automotive and other industrial markets. I sit in Cudahy and the atmosphere is cool, the people are friendly, pay is great, benefits are great and 401 (K) is great. I left a great job with good pay with a local manufacturing company after 22 years to come here. That should tell you something about this company and our future. If you're looking for a new career come join our team of great people, you won't be disappointed.

Cons

None as far as I'm concerned.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your vision and leadership. We have a bright future ahead of us.

2. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Albany, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits with competitive wages.

Cons

Presently movement of items through HR has been slow.

3. "Demoralizing"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Industry on an upswing

Cons

difficult coworkers, lack of comradery, lack of growth opportunities and training support

4. "Stay away from this troubled company"

Pros

Good pay, not very much travel, money backed safety dept

Cons

Long Hours, Company doesn't treat salary workers well.

Advice to Management

Pound Sand

5. "Enjoy the Job. Realistic goals are needed"

Current Employee - Production Lead in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Production Lead in Albany, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, solid benefits, semi flexible work schedule. I enjoy working with almost all of my coworkers and immediate management and Leadership

Cons

Being part of a large Corporation has drawbacks especially when it comes to production demands. I don’t really want to write anymore in this category

Advice to Management

Plan a little better for the future

6. "Company is a joke! Don't waste your time!"

Former Employee - Millersburg Operations in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Millersburg Operations in Albany, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Honestly, can't think of anything nice to say about this company. The bonus was getting out of this place and moving on, I was not going to be a lifer like some of the souls out there. Some of the people out there don't know their worth and would do so much better if they moved on. I was a lucky one!

Cons

At one of our quarterly review meetings, we were told to go onto Glassdoor and put positive reviews because there were so many bad ones out there. You can see the uptick in reviews during those periods. They thought that this could be the reason why we didn't see applicants applying for positions. If this doesn't strike you as being unethical I don't know what will. The rumor in this small town of 30,000 is this company doesn't care about it's employees or community.

*Non-competitive wages
    *Non-equal gender pay
    *Sexual harassment and harassment in general is accepted behavior and management will do nothing about it.
    *Everyone stabs everyone in the back to try and gain approval or acceptance from management. If you don't participate in this, then you are shunned.
    *It is allowed behavior for mangers and supervisors to yell and curse at their employees.
    *Safety is just a number on the scorecard they truly don't care or try to make things safer for their employees. Thus, why employees have lost fingers, and other limbs. Serious injuries happen here, somebody will be killed at this facility.
    *Long hours, expected to answer phone calls, emails and text all hours of the day and night. Weekends and vacations you are expected to be available as well.
    *You are expected to do not just your job but two other peoples as well. They can't fill positions because people don't want to work here.
    *If you don't play the good ole' boy game you won't fit in.
    *Unqualified people put into roles they have no education or background to be in, only reason they were put in those positions is because they are friends with upper management.
    *Training opportunities are non existent.
    *Lack community involvement, in a small community and being the largest employer they should be supporting their community but instead they are more focused on the all mighty $. The community looks at ATI with disgust.
    *Union/Company relationship is horrible. Makes for a depressing place to work!

I used to think that if we had a different leader or leaders other than Tucker we would be in a lot better shape. However, it only got worse. Because of the ways of the upper management group this has trickled down to their directors, managers, supervisors and employees. This is where everyone is out for themselves and the backstabbing and unprofessional behavior happens and is allowed.

Advice to Management

Not sure why I am wasting my time here, nothing will change at this place. But if I have to...Clean house and start over! Actually reflect on why people have left and what you could do to fix those sorts of things.

7. "Cast Products"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time

Pros

Worked with great people and made some life-long relationships. Company supported professional development. Never boring.

Cons

Lack of direction due to high turnover of management.

8. "Well respected company"

Current Employee - Plant Security Officer in Millersburg, OR
    Current Employee - Plant Security Officer in Millersburg, OR

Pros

Wages, benefits, union, gov contracts,

Cons

Management, union contracts, waste, fraud and abuse

Advice to Management

Hire management with basic comprehension of the jobs employees they oversee are charged with.

9. "Simply a disaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, NC

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are okay...they have slowly been getting worse in the last 3 years

Cons

This is honestly the worst company I've ever worked at and it would be nice to see a complete leadership overhaul here at the VP and Director level. I wish corporate would have cared to come in and look at the leadership before all of strong leaders and employees left.
    Poor business and growth plan
    Ridiculous hours because they don't backfill positions after somebody leaves or are laid off... if you stay there long enough you might just get to be a VP since there is so much turnover!!
    lack of communication
    lack of direction or strategy
    In the last 5 years they tried to increase employee and manager development and it has flopped in the last year. Seems like HR is going back to being administrative rather than focused on employee development or caring about employees. Even the HR team has lost 5 or 6 folks in their dept in the last year.
    They don't seem to care about long-term employees and will cut them easily. I feel bad for the employees that have dedicated their whole career here and then are taken out swiftly when they don't fit in here anymore.

Advice to Management

"Innovation" is just a tagline thrown out and there is nothing innovative about the processes, practices or technology. It is archaic and unfortunately until leadership starts walking the walk, there will be no Innovation in the organization. Set a clear strategy and vision and communicate it. The business units have no idea where the company is going...you have so much turnover because employees aren't sold that the company is going in any direction but down.

10. "Senior research engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Monroe, NC

I worked at Allegheny Technologies (ATI) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great team at R&D in Monroe, very collaborative. Senior team members very helpful and always going out of their way to teach new engineers. Very smart people to work with who are even more helpful.

Cons

The pay and the lack of performance driven incentives. Fixed work hours even for salaried employees

Advice to Management

Better compensation for R&D engineers with clear plans for growth