Allegheny Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Allegheny Technologies Chairman,President & CEO Richard J. Harshman
Richard J. Harshman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are very competitive (in 12 reviews)

• They have good benefits and good pay (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management cares little for employees (in 16 reviews)

• Working 3 on 3 off 12 hour shift but don't quite get a whole day of PTO a month (in 6 reviews)

1. "Making the world a better place through Relentless Innovation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cudahy, WI

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ATI is a world leader in specialty metals, technologies and manufacturing and the only ones that know are our customers. The public needs to know we make some really cool stuff and this is an great place to work. We are in aerospace and defense particularly jet engines, oil & gas, electrical, medical, automotive and other industrial markets. I sit in Cudahy and the atmosphere is cool, the people are friendly, pay is great, benefits are great and 401 (K) is great. I left a great job with good pay with a local manufacturing company after 22 years to come here. That should tell you something about this company and our future. If you're looking for a new career come join our team of great people, you won't be disappointed.

Cons

None as far as I'm concerned.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your vision and leadership. We have a bright future ahead of us.

2. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Lab Analyst in Albany, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits with competitive wages.

Cons

Presently movement of items through HR has been slow.

3. "Unstable"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Monroe, NC

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is doing well. Local managers very had working and smart. Lots of focus on safety and customers. Very welcoming and supportive team. Like a family.

Cons

Good president just fired out of nowhere and old manager brough in. People scared. People work really hard but ATI doesn't seem to see it.

Advice to Management

Make decisions that make sense. We are confused about what is wanted. Seems like we're doing well and this is never recognized.

4. "Restructured"

Current Employee - Process Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Process Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Direct management takes care of employees

Cons

Upper management cares little for employees. Specialization means little to executives.

"Good, Solid Employer"

Current Employee - Leader in Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Leader in Monroe, NC

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Opportunity for advancement within/across functions, highly performance-driven culture
    - Secure jobs for high performers - high barriers to entry into Specialty Materials side of the business
    - Above market retirement plan
    - High level of ethics and integrity
    - Interesting work

Cons

- low work/life balance
    - trend toward valuing new employees over seasoned

Advice to Management

- listen to business unit leaders, true lean involves allowing problems to be solved at the source, by the people who understand the business best
    - value longevity/loyalty when accompanied by performance

6. "Getting things done the right way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company pursues new technologies and markets without illusion - I've worked for other companies (in a different market) that frequently threw money at projects that they acknowledged were bound to fail. ATI does take risks on new technologies, but I see much more rational caution and timely reviews to ensure that resources end up in the right places. I find this to be more effective and it's refreshing to be working on projects that are valued.

Cons

This industry does have an aging infrastructure problem and ATI is no different from any other primary metal producer in that not all buildings and facilities are fashionably "fresh." Coming from another industry (say, semiconductor production) will take some adjustment, but I got used to it within the first month.

"Get ready to lose your Soul."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pretty decent pay, good health benefits.

Cons

Managers will do anything to cover themselves and throw you under the bus. Not good for if you want a relationship or family life 10-12 hour work days 6 days a week. Still act like you didnt do enough. if you dont mind being a robot. this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Look after you employees, you know the ones helping you get your bonus. dont treat them like just a number. They are your front line men working hard while you work a normal shift.

8. "Great Climate, Very Ethical"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous salary and benefits. Highly ethical climate. Positive work environment. Constantly striving to be better. Not afraid to invest for the future.

Cons

We grew partly through acquisitions, so still a little fragmented, but improving.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your employees. Invest in technology and capabilities to be the best.

9. "Great team to be a part of"

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time

Pros

Integrity, safety, strong work ethic and innovative are words I would use to describe the organizational culture at ATI. I've been employed with ATI for 18 months and have no regrets. The team is focused and intent on overcoming industry challenges to be the best at what we do.

Cons

The only down side I see at ATI is that there are a lot of very bright people competing for advancement. If you aren't willing to bring your A game you will be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Keep working to move the organization forward.

10. "Joining the ATI team."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Millersburg, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Millersburg, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ATI is a great place to work! The people are awesome. There is a mix of people that have been here for 20+ years and people like me who have been here under 2 years. The culture here is respect, kindness, safety and being part of a community. Like with any job it is up to you how engaged and motivated you are to be happy and successful, but my experience at ATI has been if you want to succeed you will! Even though we are a big company, all levels are respected and can make a difference.

Cons

It is hard for me personally to think of any cons, but I guess one thing that we are continuing to work on is process and procedures. Like with all companies I have worked for in my 25+ year career, ATI strives to get all of the processes written down and standardized. Sometimes it takes longer than we would like.

Advice to Management

Keep working on the Safety and respect culture it is working!!!