Allegheny Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Allegheny Technologies Chairman,President & CEO Richard J. Harshman
Richard J. Harshman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are very competitive (in 12 reviews)

• They have good benefits and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes some stupid decisions IMHO (in 15 reviews)

• Working 3 on 3 off 12 hour shift but don't quite get a whole day of PTO a month (in 6 reviews)

1. "10+ years wasted at a terrible company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The 401k is decent and that's about it. Other than that, this place is all negative. When I started, the company was owned by a different outfit. From the day ATI took over, it went downhill fast.

Cons

When I started at the company, it was Pacific Cast Technologies. PCT was a fantastic place to work. Then ATI happened. As soon as ATI came in our insurance changed, the management changed, and worst of all the schedule changed. The 3 on 3 off shift is the worst. There is no reward for seniority and everyone works the same amount of weekends. If you enjoy time with your family, this shift will destroy that. Also, the pay is not equitable in all departments. There has not been a cost of living increase in years. I left the company because of the 3 on 3 off schedule, and I still keep in close contact with dear friends who work there. It appears the company is completely unwilling to change the shift despite repeated pleas and complaints and even suggestions of alternatives by senior skilled operators. This shows that ATI is willing to put it's employees second to it's ego and pride. Staying on this crappy shift has nothing to do with profitability, because ATI made more money with less people on the 4-10 schedule. Any company that is willing to lose money in order to prove a point and keep their people down is no company I want to work for.

Advice to Management

Go back to a Monday thru Thursday 4-10's schedule with 3-12's on the weekend. When that shift was running, the morale was far higher and sales showed that. The company made more money with less people. The attitude is so poor now that it takes twice the people to make the same amount of sales. To stick with the 3 on 3 off schedule is just stupid when the majority of your employees absolutely hate it. Also, there needs to be a wage adjustment in the back end. These guys are your bread and butter and should be treated accordingly. The art and skill involved is much higher than currently given credit for.

"Have Family? Have a life? Dont work at Pac Cast Albany, OR"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Albany, OR

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any good things at this facility in Albany, OR.

Cons

Don't work here at Pac Cast if you have a Family or any kind of life other than work. The 3 on 3 off 12 hour days is the crappiest shift ever thought of and whoever thought this shift was the right choice, obviously has never worked on it ever in there life and probably should try it to see how we feel. ATI Pac Cast just keeps taking and taking from employees and there is no giving what so ever. There is no employee morale, all employees are grumpy and disgruntle and dislike ATI since they have taken over this facility. They put absolutely NO effort into employee Happiness. Safety is way over the top. They have 15 meetings a day on safety but none on employee family life/work balance. Lets go to the top, Management is horrible. We have managers and supervisors that know nothing about the Titanium industry at all. They hire them from Cell phone companies, seed warehouses, Lumber/hardware facilities, and Taco Bell - get real people. We see our manager 1 time in 12 hours, this might be a blessing or a Pro I guess. I could go on and on with the negative Cons, but I don't have all day.

Advice to Management

Should try a lot harder making employees happy. Employees are the bread and butter. Focus on Family-life for employees. Lot less focus on stupid un-needed safety stuff like taking cutting edges off tape dispensers, OMG!!!!

"Not good"

Former Employee - Technician in Robinson, PA
    Former Employee - Technician in Robinson, PA

I worked at Allegheny Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent but they got rid of all the other pros that the company used to offer.

Cons

There was no focus on the actual workers. It was all about getting catered food for the managers and engineers. Lots of forced extra hours. Terrible HR.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the melters and powder processors. They are the ones that actually do the work.

"pathetic"

Current Employee - Sucker in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Sucker in Tooele, UT

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great fellow employees. toilets are usually clean

Cons

we went through numerous lay-offs, and now they are shutting the plant down. The CEO screwed us out of our pathetic severance, but I'm sure he'll give himself a massive bonus. as usual.

Advice to Management

fire yourself. you fail at life

5. "out of work"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Tooele, UT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Tooele, UT

Pros

pay and 401k and even those arent enough to make any one ever want to work for this outfit ever again.

Cons

hands down the WORST company America. Every person here was promised so much and that all ended up being lie after lie after lie. the upper management of the company have no spine and no integrity. rather than rearrange management and take a bonus cut the CEO and BOARD decided to close down couple of plants and support JAPAN instead of their own country. sure you can but it cheaper some where else, but what happened to taking pride in MADE IN AMERICA. just because its cheap doesn't mean you should. i'm pretty sure the CEO was born in the USA and there for is a citizen. if you want to support japan move your happy BUTT'S over there and become a citizen of the country your giving millions of dollars to every year.

Advice to Management

invest in your own country. remember it's OK to be an AMERICAN and support AMERICAN workers and their families. "KEEP IT MADE IN AMERICA" is more than just some fancy sticker. keep OUR people working not somebody elses.

"Decent pay, terrible management"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Grantsville, UT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Grantsville, UT

I have been working at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, 401k is phenomenal. Safety is SAID that it is paramount.

Cons

Where to begin......Management does treat you like a number. Might just be at the Greenfield Rowley facility (which is shutting down after 6 years on Dec 31) but is not a great representation of the company. Like I said, the pay is decent, but this company is CHEAP. If you are subject to a layoff, expect menial severance and it is dependent on a 75% retention rate. in other words, don't expect a severance.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and all other managers that will eventually run this company into the ground.

"Slitter Operator"

Former Employee - Slitter Operator in Louisville, OH
    Former Employee - Slitter Operator in Louisville, OH

I worked at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Money and benefits. That's it. I do not have any other pros outside of the money and benefits. Swing shift and working three out of four weekends every month.

Cons

These people are the worst type imaginable. I had almost 19 years of service and quit for another job at less money. It's a very hostile Union vs. management work environment every day there. They make up mistakes and violations to attempt to discipline or even discharge someone daily. Great pay but the stress is not worth it.

Advice to Management

Quit mismanaging. Start pointing fingers at yourselves and not the hourly workforce.

""Shoddy Management""

Current Employee - Electrician in Leechburg, PA
    Current Employee - Electrician in Leechburg, PA

Pros

Alot of really good people to work with at the floor level. Good pay and benefits before the company decided to try to destroy the contract.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with what is going on in the mills. CORPORATE GREED. They need some people that have worked their way into management from the floor level employees, not just all lawyers running a company.

Advice to Management

Let some people that have built the train in to work on it. The people that work in the office should only ride on the train. They have no idea how it works or how to drive the train. Kick the bosses out of the engine before the train derails!!!

"Not a place for innovative types."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Millersburg, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Millersburg, OR

I worked at Allegheny Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On the positive side there are great people to work with and some interesting work to be done. Ultimately it boils down to who you work for within the company and what kind of work you are doing. Don’t look to this company for true innovation though, despite the marketing hype, because you will likely be disappointed.
    Also, there was a good work/life balance, but that depends on who you work for within the company.

Cons

The upper management is out of touch with the employee base and creates a culture in which people fear making even the simplest mistake, real or perceived. Because of this there is very little teamwork, especially between departments. While the upper management realizes that there is a cultural problem, they attribute it more to the employees than to themselves, and as such are trying to change that culture through endless rules and policies instead of creating a positive culture through solid leadership. When I left the employee morale was the worst that is has been in the 10+ years I worked there.
    The company as a whole seems to be focused more on marketing itself as a great company than actually doing anything to be a great company.
    When layoff's come don't look to the upper management to be the ones making the sacrifices.

Advice to Management

Lose the know it all arrogance and realize that the employees have value

"System Repair Technician"

Current Employee - Systems Repair Technician in Louisville, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Repair Technician in Louisville, OH

Pros

USW representation, competitive hourly salary, competitive incentive plan, competitive pension plan, responsible for wide range of equipment and associated experience, ICD career development program

Cons

rotating shift schedule, hot work conditions, cold work conditions, exposure to many industrial hazards and risks related to combustion, chemicals, electrical, mechanical hazards, excessive mandatory overtime, high responsibility for the reliability of old, unproved new, and 24/7 operation of heavy industrial equipment

Advice to Management

better value the work experience of its employees, better respect the collective representation of the hourly employees, rely less on inexperienced non-operationally experienced managers and lawyers, better address work/life balance issues