Allegiant Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Allegiant Travel Chairman, President, and CEO Maury Gallagher Jr.
Maury Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Home every night, Great crews to work with (in 16 reviews)

• The flight benefits are great, company has a 401K match and average health insurance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Allegiant should care more about its Flight Attendants (in 20 reviews)

• Work/life balance is hard to compensate for (in 8 reviews)

1. "Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been employed as a flight attendant for almost a year. Home every night, work with good flight crews and opportunity for growth.

Cons

As Flight Attendant we are on the front line. Allegiant should care more about its Flight Attendants. There is no union representation

Advice to Management

On the executive level, management should care more about its Flight Attendants and not just the bottom line

"Not What I Expected"

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ll begin by saying how extremely excited I was to obtain my job as a Flight Attendant (FA) with Allegiant. I was eager to get out on the line and begin working with people (coworkers) who love flying and happy passengers going on vacation or to spend time with family.

I was surprised on how quickly the job lost its novelty. To my disappointment it was not at all as I expected it to be. I take the time to write this review to give anyone interested in applying as a FA my point of view. I had read negative reviews about the company before deciding to apply, but I figured there will always be disgruntled/unhappy employees. It’s only now that I come to see that most of the employees that are CURRENTLY with the company are also disappointed or unhappy as well.

Cons

It being my first job as a FA, I did some research and discovered that FAs only get paid when the aircraft doors are closed. They will collect a per-diem of $1 an hour when they begin their duty day. I thought this would be fine, but when you get out on the line and discover that the company requires you to do certain things during the boarding process (like announcements, interact with passengers, assist with finding seats, assist with luggage, cleaning up the plane after a flight, etc.), you start to wonder why you’re not being paid for all this time. Customers will often ask for help lifting and storing their luggage, however, if you are injured during the boarding process assisting a passenger with their luggage, I’m told the On The Job Injury claim would be denied. How would you properly deny an elderly or handicapped person assistance with their luggage? The company knows many FAs will help passengers out of duty or kindness, regardless, putting themselves at risk for injury.

If there are any delays and the passengers are on board, the company will require FAs at a certain time to provide a tarmac delay pour service. Once again, the FAs will only be making their per-diem pay of $1 an hour – although they are working. After, they will also need to complete a tarmac delay form, which once again, they are not being paid for anything additional for the time it takes to complete. If the delay is at the gate, the FAs will sit and wait however many hours the company deems necessary. Since FAs don’t time out, the company can make a FA wait however long they want and they would still be legal to work any trip that day. For example: An FA has to report to the gate at 6 am for a 7 am departure. There is a maintenance delay and the flight doesn’t actually leave until 4 pm that day. The same crew can AND most likely WILL be made to work that flight. If they get back early enough to be legal for their trip the next day (if they have any) the company most likely will also make them work their trip the next day.

Many times there will be delays that the company is already aware of and Crew Services will not call the FAs to inform them of the delay. To discuss the level of helpfulness (or unhelpfulness) that Crew Services provides would require a whole other long explanation. Just be aware that they are disorganized and have mainly the company’s interest to look after. To get them to be fair requires a battle half of the time. It just was not something I was prepared for… I was ready to work hard for a company that looks after my interests as well from time to time. We are not robots, we are human beings and sometimes we require more than 9 hours of rest when we have worked a 12-16 hour day. That is not the case at all, and they just don’t get it most of the time.

These type of things apparently happen with all airlines, however, it just seems that maintenance issues are SO common with Allegiant. There seems to always be some type of issue or some delay. Don’t make plans when you have trips scheduled, most likely you will have to reschedule your plans. Be prepared to have days where you’re only being paid for 5-6 hours of work but are actually putting in 10 or more hours.

FAs are guaranteed 75 hours a month, and usually when they are first hired they will sit reserve for 14 hours a day and get paid for 3.5 hours of that day. Expect to have about 11 days off in a month and the rest of the days on reserve. The amount of time a FA will remain on reserve with Allegiant is unknown since it depends on the base and how many more people are hired after you. While on reserve the company can call you and assign you a trip with a 90 minute call out at any time. For example, if you have been on reserve from 4am and it’s scheduled to end at 6 pm, they can call you at 5:59 pm and you must answer. I will say that has not happened to me yet, but just so anyone considering the job knows it CAN happen. To make a little extra money you can pick up trips on your days off, but because the duty periods on reserve are so long, it’s often difficult to do IF there are even trips available for pick up.

FAs are not paid for the time it takes to complete required computer based trainings
    FAs are not paid for the time it takes to complete mandatory updates to their Flight Attendant Manuals
    FAs are not paid for the time it takes to have a random drug test

There are many other issues (like with any other job), but the ones I felt most strongly about are the one’s I’ve written about above. Most of us work because we depend on the income we receive for our livelihood. It was just so shocking and discouraging to enter an industry/company that works in this manner. The FAs want to unionize to have things be more fair, but this has been going on since 2011! They are being strung along with the idea that things may be fairer soon, but who knows when an actual contract may come. Also, the Pilots have a fantastic contract that should be taken as a model for FAs, but the company clearly has time and time again shown that FAs will never be as important as the pilots. We are replaceable and if we don’t like the way things are we can just (and should) move onto something else. Having said all this I look forward to changing from this industry soon.

I hope that all this can help someone else determine if being a Flight Attendant is for them or not.

Advice to Management

Take care of your Flight Attendants. Don't just say they are important... show them.

3. "MX"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company, profit sharing with its employees.

Cons

Work/life balance is hard to compensate for.

"flight attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits are some of the best in the industry. No over nights, which is especially great for people with families. Very flexible schedule, and the ability to move up in the company.

Cons

There is no union for flight attendants. First year pay is low, and there is also a cap on raises after so many years.

Advice to Management

flight attendants should be paid more.

6. "I am really impressed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a growing company , options are endless for moving up in the company

Cons

Not enough parking spots, are decent food places to eat. I.t. issues are annoying

"Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Allegiant Travel (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime to work

Cons

Rude and ignorant management

Advice to Management

Clean house management sleeps around with the employees

"Great Starting Point"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home every night, great benefits, expanding quickly

Cons

Low morale, management apathy, poor communication

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees than the bottom line

9. "The opportunity for growth is here!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*PTO/sick accumulation scale is pretty good, depending on years of service...this really helps in work/life balance.
    *Good 401k plan and match.
    *Health Savings Account match is also pretty good. A valuable asset in our benefits package to offset some of the costs of healthcare.
    *Opportunity for growth.
    *Flight benefits.
    *Open and honest communication from direct reports and senior management.
    *The new ATM (Allegiant Team Member) program, which will allow us to expand our skill set.

Cons

We are growing a tad bit faster than expected, which is both good and bad. Because of our fast growth, some of the aspects of our operations suffered a bit. I'm hoping that with our refocus on quality this year, at least some of these issues will be fixed.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! Keep the open, honest communication.

"Flight attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of co workers . Once you gain seniority you have the ability to creat your work schedule to your needs. No overnights , if you have a family this is a huge plus

Cons

Starting off you are put on reserve which can be difficult to manage if you need to have a second job .

11. "My stay"

Current Employee - Logistics Broker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Logistics Broker in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

The pay is amazing if you are getting a great amount of deals.

Cons

I wish it was base pay plus commission because when things get slow you make no money.

Advice to Management

Set base pay and offer some benefits if you miss work you make no money