Allegiant Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Allegiant Travel Reviews

Updated April 6, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Allegiant Travel Chairman, President, and CEO Maury Gallagher Jr.
Maury Gallagher Jr.

Pros
  • Home every night, Great crews to work with (in 16 reviews)

• The flight benefits are great, company has a 401K match and average health insurance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Allegiant should care more about its Flight Attendants (in 20 reviews)

• Work/life balance is hard to compensate for (in 8 reviews)

"Not What I Expected"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ll begin by saying how extremely excited I was to obtain my job as a Flight Attendant (FA) with Allegiant. I was eager to get out on the line and begin working with people (coworkers) who love flying and happy passengers going on vacation or to spend time with family.

I was surprised on how quickly the job lost its novelty. To my disappointment it was not at all as I expected it to be. I take the time to write this review to give anyone interested in applying as a FA my point of view. I had read negative reviews about the company before deciding to apply, but I figured there will always be disgruntled/unhappy employees. It’s only now that I come to see that most of the employees that are CURRENTLY with the company are also disappointed or unhappy as well.

Cons

It being my first job as a FA, I did some research and discovered that FAs only get paid when the aircraft doors are closed. They will collect a per-diem of $1 an hour when they begin their duty day. I thought this would be fine, but when you get out on the line and discover that the company requires you to do certain things during the boarding process (like announcements, interact with passengers, assist with finding seats, assist with luggage, cleaning up the plane after a flight, etc.), you start to wonder why you’re not being paid for all this time. Customers will often ask for help lifting and storing their luggage, however, if you are injured during the boarding process assisting a passenger with their luggage, I’m told the On The Job Injury claim would be denied. How would you properly deny an elderly or handicapped person assistance with their luggage? The company knows many FAs will help passengers out of duty or kindness, regardless, putting themselves at risk for injury.

If there are any delays and the passengers are on board, the company will require FAs at a certain time to provide a tarmac delay pour service. Once again, the FAs will only be making their per-diem pay of $1 an hour – although they are working. After, they will also need to complete a tarmac delay form, which once again, they are not being paid for anything additional for the time it takes to complete. If the delay is at the gate, the FAs will sit and wait however many hours the company deems necessary. Since FAs don’t time out, the company can make a FA wait however long they want and they would still be legal to work any trip that day. For example: An FA has to report to the gate at 6 am for a 7 am departure. There is a maintenance delay and the flight doesn’t actually leave until 4 pm that day. The same crew can AND most likely WILL be made to work that flight. If they get back early enough to be legal for their trip the next day (if they have any) the company most likely will also make them work their trip the next day.

Many times there will be delays that the company is already aware of and Crew Services will not call the FAs to inform them of the delay. To discuss the level of helpfulness (or unhelpfulness) that Crew Services provides would require a whole other long explanation. Just be aware that they are disorganized and have mainly the company’s interest to look after. To get them to be fair requires a battle half of the time. It just was not something I was prepared for… I was ready to work hard for a company that looks after my interests as well from time to time. We are not robots, we are human beings and sometimes we require more than 9 hours of rest when we have worked a 12-16 hour day. That is not the case at all, and they just don’t get it most of the time.

These type of things apparently happen with all airlines, however, it just seems that maintenance issues are SO common with Allegiant. There seems to always be some type of issue or some delay. Don’t make plans when you have trips scheduled, most likely you will have to reschedule your plans. Be prepared to have days where you’re only being paid for 5-6 hours of work but are actually putting in 10 or more hours.

FAs are guaranteed 75 hours a month, and usually when they are first hired they will sit reserve for 14 hours a day and get paid for 3.5 hours of that day. Expect to have about 11 days off in a month and the rest of the days on reserve. The amount of time a FA will remain on reserve with Allegiant is unknown since it depends on the base and how many more people are hired after you. While on reserve the company can call you and assign you a trip with a 90 minute call out at any time. For example, if you have been on reserve from 4am and it’s scheduled to end at 6 pm, they can call you at 5:59 pm and you must answer. I will say that has not happened to me yet, but just so anyone considering the job knows it CAN happen. To make a little extra money you can pick up trips on your days off, but because the duty periods on reserve are so long, it’s often difficult to do IF there are even trips available for pick up.

FAs are not paid for the time it takes to complete required computer based trainings
    FAs are not paid for the time it takes to complete mandatory updates to their Flight Attendant Manuals
    FAs are not paid for the time it takes to have a random drug test

There are many other issues (like with any other job), but the ones I felt most strongly about are the one’s I’ve written about above. Most of us work because we depend on the income we receive for our livelihood. It was just so shocking and discouraging to enter an industry/company that works in this manner. The FAs want to unionize to have things be more fair, but this has been going on since 2011! They are being strung along with the idea that things may be fairer soon, but who knows when an actual contract may come. Also, the Pilots have a fantastic contract that should be taken as a model for FAs, but the company clearly has time and time again shown that FAs will never be as important as the pilots. We are replaceable and if we don’t like the way things are we can just (and should) move onto something else. Having said all this I look forward to changing from this industry soon.

I hope that all this can help someone else determine if being a Flight Attendant is for them or not.

Advice to Management

Take care of your Flight Attendants. Don't just say they are important... show them.

"Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Allegiant Travel (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime to work

Cons

Rude and ignorant management

Advice to Management

Clean house management sleeps around with the employees

"If you don't have a life, this is the company for you"

Former Employee - Administration in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Administration in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Travel Benefits
    Open culture creates ability to build relationships
    Decent pay depending on the position

Cons

Very poor work life balance
    Constantly worried about making mistakes
    Can't rely on management
    Management top heavy
    Put policies into place that they themselves don't follow
    People only hire people that are their friends or friends with the CEO, not people that can actually do the job at hand
    Lack of communication between departments and upper management
    Senior Leadership can be condescending towards other employees who don't see things the same way they do
    None of the other departments follow process for anything
    Only care about profits
    You get burnt out quickly

Advice to Management

Start supporting your actual team better and listen to what they have to say. Balance the workload and stop expecting your employees to answer emails every single weekend and answer calls at 11pm at night ( the fact that you are required to have your email on your phone is ridiculous). Management is too top heavy - don't promote someone just so they get more money, make sure it actually makes sense for the business, and make sure they have the tools necessary to adequately do the job. Stop hiring Sr. Leaderships friends because they need jobs. It doesn't do anyone any good. And most of all, if you're going to put processes in place, make sure you actually follow them as opposed to making concessions for each and every individual department.

"Growing pain mess"

Former Employee - Ground Operations in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Ground Operations in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Allegiant Travel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits with other airlines after 3 months.

Cons

Unpredictable schedule
    pay doesn't meet work demands
    overworked as part time employee. I was assigned a 39 hour work week where I would be expected to stay over every shift to finish task at hand that were never completed on time due to too few staff on ground.
    No healthcare provided when I had 2 instances of almost passing out due to work load.
    Many incompetent coworkers as Allegiant hires everyone even if they're not fit for the task needed.
    Was moved to lead position and given more responsibilities but pay did not increase.
    Only full time opportunity was night shift. You would have to "pay your dues" to this company before they treat you decently with provided benefits and a reasonable schedule.

Advice to Management

Increase pay
    Inform new hires beforehand of the actual experience that awaits them to decrease turnover
    If hiring part time employees, actually issue part time schedules. A 39 hour schedule + expected overtime should not be considered a part time schedule. The company is just making justifications to mitigate actually having to provide healthcare and dental to their employees.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Allegiant Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing and travel benefits.

Cons

Young people with no management or leadership skills.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote more high quality people based on knowledge, skills, and abilities, not who they know.

"Good for Clock Watchers"

Former Employee - Intern in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Intern in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Allegiant Travel (Less than a year)

Pros

-People get in and out of the office
    -Friendly office
    -Just relocated to a good area of vegas

Cons

-Say they foster new ideas and innovation; definitely do not
    -Managers can be unprofessional because they feel invincible
    -Overall not a good place to work, felt very hostile.

"A pretty face with a lot of extra baggage"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist - People Services in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist - People Services in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Free space-available flights on Allegiant and other airlines depending on FT/PT status
    Charity/volunteer work available
    New and improved HQ located in beautiful Summerlin of Las Vegas, NV

Cons

Poor work/personal life balance
    Lack of communication among departments
    Extreme workload expectations
    High stress work environment
    Understaffed
    Overworked and under appreciated

Advice to Management

As demand increases, actively work to provide assistance and necessary resources in order for each team member to remain successful with his/her workload. Treat first offense mistakes as learning experiences instead of with severe punishments. Acknowledge employees for their diligent work and accomplishments, not only in times when mistakes are made. Treat all members equally when it comes to workload expectations and personal accommodations (i.e. Pregnancy, family emergencies, etc.). Strive for an open and encouraging environment where employees are not constantly apprehensive about completing tasks.

"Working in the QA environment challenges you and your integrity"

Former Contractor - QA Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Contractor - QA Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Allegiant Travel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work with and a great bunch of intelligent personnel to work with ....

Cons

Management does not monitor this groups particular behavior which demonstrates unethical practices of favoritism with a selective employee. This causes the workplace environment to become unprofessional as you are required to march to their tune and not attempt to optimize or think outside the box; it is full of narcissism; and these personality disorders causes the group tremendous stress. This environment is captivated with a perception of uncivil behaviors demonstrated daily by this Management and it promotes incivility which eventually will spiral and potentially escalate into a increasingly intense aggressive workplace behaviors among the team.

It was a very trying experience and if you get a chance to get on board, watch out!!!... you could lose lots of sleep and become a nervous wreck.

Advice to Management

clean house and rid yourself of folks that are not team players and are bent on dictatorship

"Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Allegiant Travel (More than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation - friendly atmosphere - central location in the LV area

Cons

Training deficiencies - work/life balance - significant lack of senior management integrity

"Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Nevada in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Contractor - Nevada in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Allegiant Travel as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

There are good people, high Tech decor -campus style, new desks, spacious break rooms, plenty of office supplies, variety of restaurants in the area, and plenty of parking.

Cons

high employee turnover, culture is weak, not many smart people, weak or no process in place, it appears that executives all they care is about making money and not really about customer experience. break rooms are designed to scarf down your lunch and get back to your desk, no decorations on desks thus no personalities,

Advice to Management

First rule: Take of your customers and employees. Care for them as they are your best asset.