Allen Communication Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Ron Zamir

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The problem is that this company looses these great talented people at an alarming rate" (in 5 reviews)

• "The best and brightest colleagues" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Although this is needed for any profitable business, it can lead people to feel like the work/life balance is not as manageable" (in 4 reviews)

• "little to no opportunity for advancement" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Culture, People, and Clients"

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AllenComm has a great culture with tons of funny and talented people. There is good work/life balance, open office space, and a great downtown location. You will get to work with some of the biggest brands. There is room for growth and lots of creative freedom that gives you the ability to improve your skills. There are very high-performance measures that keep you on your toes.

Cons

There is currently no 401k match, but this is supposed to be changing. The high turnover can make it hard to accomplish certain tasks. Because of the high-performance standards and fast paced environment, you need to be able to handle confrontation without taking it personally.

2. "Great but not for script writers."

Former Employee - Instructional Script Writer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Instructional Script Writer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Allen Communication part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fast paced environment, with multiple eLearning projects going at any given time. Fun atmosphere and a meticulous office culture.

Cons

Part time writers can be off a project for months, and still expected to be in office off the clock to "network" and get more projects.

Advice to Management

Cut the part-timers and move to a pool of contractors.

3. "At best, this place is a stepping stone"

I worked at Allen Communication part-time

Pros

The projects are unique and the people you work with are smart.

Cons

Management is the not transparent, plays favorites, and doesn't recognize good work. Watch out for PMs and VPs. They gaslight and make the work culture here competitive.

"It's Frustrating to see Potential Lost"

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time

Pros

There are some great people with enormous talent, creativity and passion. The opportunity to work with, and create great work for some the of the world’s leading global brands. A good stepping stone for ID's, PM,s and creatives.

Cons

The culture that the CEO and COO have both created and cultivated is the most toxic and passive aggressive I’ve ever experienced. The CEO is narcissistic and a bully that constantly berates, blames and belittles employees—including some of the clients—privately and publicly. He’s never wrong, never makes mistakes, and no one is as smart, much less smarter, than him. He's paralyzed by indecision, can’t stick to a strategy, and waivers on his myriad positions based on the last “important” person he spoke to or book he read.

The COO (presumably the CEO’s partner) seems to want to ignore the reign of chaos around him and does absolutely nothing to change the environment or the detrimental actions of the CEO despite pleas from employees.

As a result of these problems, the company is increasingly losing clients and most importantly, talent. In the last 9 months alone, the company lost its long-time head of Product Management; 5 key sales directors and consultants; the head of technology and portal; several key managers and directors in the Courseware group; and most recently the 4th Head of Sales in 3 years as well as the highest producing sales person. But the most critical resignation was the Chief Learning Officer who left in January and had been at the company for 19 years.

It's inevitable they'll lose the 5th head of marketing in 4 years who had to build a new team after the entire previous team resigned within 1.5 months of each other and other key sales people and managers are rumored to be looking.

The company has clearly peaked, and at the current pace of brain drain, and if no critical changes are made, the company may not even make it past next year.

Advice to Management

Step away and let new management realize the potential, or sell and retire and let another company do the job.

"All the talent is gone..."

I worked at Allen Communication full-time

Pros

You get pizza on Thursdays, sometimes. The various teams are fun to work with and their social groups.

Cons

All of the talent has left the building. 6 VPs of sales in 4 years. 4 VPs of marketing in 4 years. No CLO. Their CEO is irrational, ill tempered and severely lacks the spellcheck ability. The CEO is ALWAYS right, which begs the question, why does everyone leave him? He fancies himself as a data man, but when you present data and facts, he throws a tantrum. They constantly raise prices on clients, without adding value. I give it 8 months before the doors are closed.

Advice to Management

Try and sell the company or atleast remove the CEO. You all know where the problem is, corner office to the right of the stairs.

"Unrealistic Expectations"

I worked at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned quite a bit from the highly intelligent team of designers due to the high standards of quality. I had such respect for my coworkers.

Cons

Upper management and executive team have no regard for the designers. you are just a product. there are unrealistic expectations that you should achieve perfection under impossible timelines. I frequently had to work 70 hour work weeks to create what the sales team had promised the client.

Advice to Management

Churn and burn is not a sustainable work model.

"Resume Builder"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Allen Communication full-time

Pros

As others have mentioned, Allen has a way of attracting some of the best and brightest. I will admit that the individuals I worked with are exceptionally talented and innovative. I continue to keep in touch with many people and consider them friends.
    In addition, the clientele list is also quite impressive. I had the opportunity to work with some of the largest names in the world.
    I did learn a great deal about instructional design and project management while employed at Allen and can now say I am an award-winning instructional designer.

Cons

There is a reason there is such a high turnover rate (particularly with the Instructional Designers).
    1. They are grossly overworked and underpaid and under appreciated. If you are hired as an ID, be prepared to do FAR more than the industry standard for this position for below-industry pay.
    2. The culture is ridiculously toxic. Upper management has favorites, and you can go from being a respected employee to a problem employee in the blink of an eye. And once you have fallen from the graces of your respective VP, there is no turning back. You are labeled as poisonous and a trouble-maker and managed out. I have read multiple articles about how to spot a toxic work environment and Allen has at least 90% of the indicators.
    3. If you are looking for somewhere to offer suggestions and make a difference, keep on walking. Do not question the status-quo (even if it is just for further understanding), as this is viewed as defiance.

Overall, if you choose to work here, understand it will most likely be a short stop. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I ended up where I am now because of the experience I gained while at Allen. I have been told in multiple instances that because I survived at Allen for as long as I did, I must be a hard worker, know how to get stuff done, and have thick skin. So I guess I should thank them for that.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. Assume innocence. If you have questions about someone's behavior, speak directly to them instead of trying to get other employees to talk about them. You will never have more than a handful of employees who stick around until you believe in them. Oh, and improve your benefits and pay.

"OK for a while"

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll be working with amazing people on award-winning trainings. It's a great way to build your resume and experience.

Cons

Benefits are not great, work comes in waves and things are either dead or extremely busy (with mandatory unpaid overtime).

9. "Instructional Designer"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing compares to the people you will work with at Allen. They are smart, innovative, and fun. I’ve never been surrounded by a better group of people. I enjoy my job at Allen, but I love my coworkers.

We get to work on cutting edge projects with some of the coolest companies. You get a wide variety of experiences because of the different businesses we work with.

For a small company that doesn’t fit into the startup realm, they try to do things to create a fun culture by celebrating random holidays (National Play Dough Day, anyone?).

The management is reasonable when it comes to flexibility for life events (sick time, childcare issues, etc). I do feel like my managers care about me and my wellbeing and understand that sometimes life gets in the way of work.

They have cool clubs like Donut Club and Salad Club (it’s called balance), which are run by employees. Employees can create new clubs, if they are interested.

Cons

Due to it being a billing environment, the productivity expectations can be very high. Although this is needed for any profitable business, it can lead people to feel like the work/life balance is not as manageable. It’s a specific type of stress that some people don’t do well with (while other’s thrive on it).

Benefits are on the average to minimal side, which may hinder attracting younger applicants.

There is a lack of structured review periods, which is a hard adjustment when coming from a very structured corporate American job.

Not a lot of flexibility to work from home, even though there are some tasks that don’t require being in the office. Providing all employees with laptops would allow for more flexibility and may help meet some of the productivity expectations.

Advice to Management

Turnover has been a problem, but it feels like management is trying to make changes to address that. Continue to try to build a culture of staying. Consider creating opportunities for all employees to be part of new innovations, perhaps as a way to balance the productivity expectations with an opportunity to be creative (without client restrictions).

Create a formal program for reviews, raises, and promotions so people know what they are working towards.

Add 401K matching.

10. "Great company with a few quirks"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked at other shops, Allen is far superior when it comes to work/life balance, culture and opportunity. We get to work with top tier clients and the people at Allen are excellent. Allen only hires the best and brightest. Very picky hiring standards. Very little politicking or drama. Strong culture, and nice office. I'd recommend working here if you're down for a challenge, and want to build best in class training.

Cons

Benefits could be better, and communications could be a little more clear, but honestly, the pros far outweigh the cons for me.

Advice to Management

Add a 401K match.