Allen ISD Reviews in Allen, TX | Glassdoor

Lawrence Hindt

1. "Substitute teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Allen, TX

Pros

Students and educators are polite to one another and others in their schools. I highly recommend their high school staff.

Cons

It's a hard district to break into professionally due to its high retention rate.

Advice to Management

Look at your substitutes for permanent positions.

2. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Instructor in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Allen, TX

I have been working at Allen ISD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large, well known school district. Above State minimum pay schedule

Cons

Poor leadership; sports obsessed; no one wants to make a decision; poor calendar

Advice to Management

Let your teachees teach and quit wasting their time in meetings

3. "Administration"

Current Employee - Administration in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Administration in Allen, TX

I have been working at Allen ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always on top of innovations and current trends of school in 21st century.

Cons

Lots of construction in area--got to give to get!

Advice to Management

Keep plowing forward

4. "Bilingual Receptionist Elementary"

Former Employee - Bilingual Receptionist in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Receptionist in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork and awesome staff. Love the Allen ISD pride everybody emphasized!

Cons

I loved it, no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

5. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Teacher in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Allen, TX

I have been working at Allen ISD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large staff with excellent training possibilities. The administration seems willing to help.

Cons

Expectations tend to be a little high. To me this really isn't a con as it pushes employees to strive to be the best. Work / home ratio is lower that desired.

6. "Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Allen, TX

I have been working at Allen ISD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great position for a college student or retired folks.

Cons

Split Shift work. Full time is only 4 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Hire more drivers, everyone is driving instead of doing their actual jobs.

"Best school district to work for anywhere"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

--Extremely positive environment; employees are proud to work here.
    --Administration from superintendent and school board all the way down to asst. principals give tangible support to teachers and staff. Ideas/concerns/requests are addressed and often implemented. Our new superintendent as of 2014, Lance Hindt, is carrying on our tradition of great superintendents; he's implemented many useful ideas without changing the "corporate" culture here that has worked so well.
    --District adds $10,000/year to state base pay; even minimum first-year salary 2015-16 will start at $49,000/year.
    --Students are hard working and have a great attitude; even the few discipline problems that occur are relatively minor. (I know--I had the ISS kids every afternoon several years ago at the freshman campus, so I saw the "worst" kids--and almost every one of them was cooperative and respectful even in that situation.)
    --Student academic success is valued as highly as extracurricular success, regardless of what makes it into the news media; the district spent more money on new, state of the art classrooms, a career/technical wing, and a performing arts center at the high school than on the stadium the same year it was built. Check out the academic success and your jaw will drop. Kids with 3.5 GPAs aren't guaranteed to be in the top 50% of their graduating class because so many kids take academics seriously, taking a ton of Pre-AP/IB and AP or IB courses plus dual-credit college courses.
    --Employees are professional at all levels; you can count on people to do their jobs well.
    --We have huge community support for the school and all its programs/activities; one high school means no cross-town rivalries or split community support. Dividing the kids into six "houses" where they keep the same principal, counselor, etc. throughout high school makes it work in this large 6A high school.
    --Team/family environment--at my school (freshman center, with 1,500 9th graders) last year, several teachers and staff were out with serious illness (including cancer), surgery, and/or injuries. Entire staff (including administration) willingly and spontaneously donated, meals, cash, and their time to deliver these items for weeks; helping with grading/paperwork/planning; taking care of kids and pets; and donating sick days so that these employees didn't use theirs up and have to have pay docked.

Cons

None, other than the competition to get hired here is fierce! Three years ago, my principal told me that at least 300 qualified applicants apply for every teacher opening; the final 5-8 who are interviewed bring qualifications and experience that any district would be thrilled to have. Substituting and then being hired as a teacher's aide (not an easy job to get, either) are often required steps to being considered for a full-time teaching job. The only reason I left is to take care of family needs; I loved my team and my ninth grade students and am proud to say I taught in Allen.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--tangible and always positive support for employees along with always putting the students' needs first.

8. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent community support; great place to work

Cons

no growth potential; great place to work so no one ever leaves;

Advice to Management

build another high school

9. "Ensuring the safety of over 750 students and staff members of an elementary school."

Current Employee - Raptor Specialist in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Raptor Specialist in Allen, TX

I have been working at Allen ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am liaison between parents/teachers and students. Love the work-life balance.

Cons

The income is way below the normal for the amount of detailed work involved.

Advice to Management

The management is very easy to work with. They are quite flexible and understanding about personal time off. They all believe that we all have families and need the time to go take care of them, then they make it work.

10. "Student support tutor (SSI)"

Former Employee - SSI Tutor in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - SSI Tutor in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great principal, assistant principal, and SSI team. They all loved children. The staff were very in-tuned to the individual students and the family backgrounds.

Cons

They need individualized plans and better materials and a plan for the lessons. The also set the bar low to only meet the lowest standard/state test standard.

Advice to Management

Develop intake, IEP, and curriculum for each student. Set the goals and standards for long term growth of the child following the college readiness standards instead of the Texas standards.