Allergan Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2017

1.0
Brenton L. Saunders

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance can be challenging when the work ramps up but the segregation of duties is still beneficial (in 43 reviews)

• Great work environment, my team was incredible and there are a lot of opportunities for growth professionally when you apply yourself (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging at times but often temporary when employees are coming and going through change (in 36 reviews)

• To many changes during last 3 years with upper management (in 34 reviews)

1. "Systems Engineering... Started out great, but due to management changes, turned into a nightmare"

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Allergan as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money, decent, not great. Beautiful campus. There used to be a relaxed atmosphere, but that changed when new manager came onboard

Cons

Permanent contractor status. Roles do not convert. Several IT professionals on contracts for more than 5 years. Company will not pay OT, but will require huge amounts of extra time... New middle manager must be trying to compensate for something... Extremely hostile and aggressive. Makes requests, but does not read emails, then gets angry and blames personnel. Micromanages from New Jersey, but does not take care of management responsibilities. Very petty and retaliatory and will throw his people under the bus for his own incompetence. No benefits.

Advice to Management

Fire him... He is the worst manager I have ever seen. Also, actually hire your talent. They deserve better than this. Also, you can't make contract engineers take "comp" time...

"HR Nightmare"

I have been working at Allergan full-time

Pros

Unfortunately, cons outweigh anything positive.

Cons

HR nightmare, company enables poor behaviors and fosters an environment of disgruntled employees, executive-level management mishaps.

Advice to Management

Allowing a female employee to berate, belittle and intimidate others in the workplace is common practice. This associate is known for her abrasive style and is constantly reported to management and HR with zero effect. She literally slapped a co-worker and still has her job. She has been allowed to continue her awful behaviors with no improvement for quite some time while VP management knowingly turns a blind eye. Knowing how the company works at this point, she'll probably be promoted in no time. Many of my fellow hardworking and successful female co-workers are continually looking for opportunities in other departments or outside of the company so that we don't have to interact with this employee any longer.

"I never knew it could be so much better"

Former Employee - Product Surveillance Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Surveillance Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Allergan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty stable, lots of work, relatively decent/nice team mates

Cons

Old School management who "monitors" your time constantly they don’t treat you like an asset, they call you an expense. The manager/director thinks you’re constantly stealing productivity from them. If that isn’t the #1 way to kill morale I don’t know what is. They say things like, every time you get water on your way to or from the bathroom (even though that is efficient since it’s on the way) it adds up and costs the company money. You’re really overworked and just expected to handle it. You’re under paid and told to be grateful, the business model seems to be, hire the least experienced people for the least pay. The company left California, to get a huge tax break from Texas to stealing California jobs, and they treat their employees like crud. Once I left, it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I'm so much happier now, I was thinking the other day what is so different in my life that I’m just not mad all the time, because I want to keep feeling this good. I realized the ONLY thing that changed is I left Allergan. My family notices how much happier I am. I’m no longer in a horrible mood every time I think about work, and I don’t dread/ruin my Sunday nights because I don’t want to go to work on Monday. You probably think I was a bad employee or something, but I wasn't, I was there for years…YEARS... and constantly got great reviews/ratings from my supervisors and managers always got my work done with super high quality and great metrics. I thought I was doing great, but I realized there is nowhere to go there, no growth, no opportunity. You’re either stuck in Product surveillance (oh yeah they give you that title that means NOTHING so you can’t find comp salaries because they don’t want you to know you should be paid WAAAAY more for that job).. Or you’re stuck in inside sales with nowhere to go, or customer care/samples with nowhere to go… There is nowhere to go , you’ll never make more/build any real skills… I was always stressed out, unhappy and it took an hour after getting home to just feel relaxed.. I thought that was normal.. it's not... I’m so glad I left.

Advice to Management

99% of what you do is horrible. I've never had such bad management in all my years of employment. Your employees are your assets not your Achilles heel. Treat them like the Adults they are, if you notice a problem, talk to that ONE employee, don't constantly harp on the team when you know all but ONE person is doing a good job, you also know who that one person is, everybody does.

4. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waco, TX

I have been working at Allergan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and Salary is a little better than average.

Cons

Lack of coordinated effort on projects/tasks. Never feel like you actually completed anything. contract support quits often because of treatment.

Advice to Management

Find new mid-level managers

"Great pay was just bribery to shut and work more."

Former Employee - Compounder in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Compounder in Waco, TX

I worked at Allergan (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were great.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, awful management (when I was there), got treated like a robot, like I had not life outside of work. IT was like the worst case scenario of a group project in school: Your whole team was seen as the same thing. Individuals were not held accountable, the entire group (and especially the leader) were.

Advice to Management

Get it together

6. "if your a contractor don't bother..."

Former Contractor - HRIS in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Contractor - HRIS in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Allergan as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Allergan's Work/Life Balance is the biggest positive in working here

Cons

I left my full time job and joined Allergan (then Actavis) under a 6 month contract to hire agreement. On my FIRST day (within 15 minutes of my arrival), I was told by the manager that the additional headcount (to on-board me as a Full Time employee) had not been approved...he was unsure if it would be. I was absolutely stunned at how careless this Manager treated commitments/agreements. I left my job full-time job with the assumption that there would be a long term opportunity for me there. Obviously, it was more important to bring in a warm body. After my six month contract was up I moved on, but not without letting the manager know how he negatively impacted my livelihood.

In general, my situation is representative of how contractors are treated at Allergan at least this was the case within the HR group.

Advice to Management

How about full transparency and disclosure in making employment agreements!

7. "Specialty Sales"

I have been working at Allergan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car, Great benefits,

Cons

Too many non professional mangers downsizing larger territories

Advice to Management

Listen to the reps!

"A mess of a million-billion dollar company."

Current Employee - Csr1 in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Austin, TX

I have been working at Allergan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasional lunch provided. Good insurance.

Cons

The bosses are awful. Terrible vending machines and nothing close enough to enjoy a half-hour lunch. Micro-managed. Absurd metrics. This is a horrible, mis-managed place to work for a billion dollar company. Just awful.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your experienced, educated employees like children who are easily disposed of.

"Not a people orientated company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

The company hires reps without experience. The trainers are awesome and really are there to help. You will have an opportunity to get your feet in the pharmaceutical industry.

Cons

First and foremost, Morale in the company is awful. While there are some great people, there are real problems as a result of all of the changes/turnover. The general attitude is to cover your behind and make yourself look good...even at the expense of others. Coming from a company that was ranked in the top 100 employers to work for, it's alarming at how this company operates. You truly are a number and even if you do well, that is no guarantee that you'll be around in a month.

Secondly, 10% of the company hits their sales goal. Less than 5% of the company hits goal 2 years in a row.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a focus on treating employees better. For some that have been at only Allergan, they don't realize how bad they have it. High morale goes hand-in-hand with good results. Happy employees and less turnovers will lead to the company performing better. It's really that simple.

10. "Sales"

I worked at Allergan full-time

Pros

Allergan has a lot of money and the financial incentives are strong.

Cons

The team or "pod" based selling environment is based on a very old reach and frequency model that the physicians hate. Too much overlap and drama by having multiple sales reps calling on the same physicians. Original thinking is discouraged in favor of pushing metrics out to the sales force.

Advice to Management

Change the sales structure and focus more on results.