Alliance Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Accounts Receivable"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Durham, CT
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Durham, CT

I have been working at Alliance Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, overtime,good work enviroment, clean, new

Cons

overtime, work life balance, hard to get hired when a temp

"Goes through employees fast, makes it hard to stay there."

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Braintree, MA

I have been working at Alliance Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here has greatly improved my speed at a register and has taught me some serious humility.

Cons

Pay is pretty terrible. You frequently work alone, with responsibilities that require someone else in the store so you can mop the cooler.

No breaks.

Advice to Management

Add some dumb benefits for the employees. Free fountain soda is terrible. Maybe a monthly $20 in gas. Or even a rigged corporate lottery.

"Terrible Company."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Leominster, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Leominster, MA

I worked at Alliance Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a job, but not a good job at all. They made me do everything with so little pay.

Cons

Awful hours, terrible pay, the company won't hire people and they cut everything to maximize their profits and make it worse for the employees.

Advice to Management

Higher pay or better working conditions

"Extremely stressful understaffed and low salary company"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Alliance Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being employed, some nice team members, good cafeteria, good 401k, work from home, If you're antisocial and rude, and can't communicate face to face with people at your daily job and talking on the phone makes you nervous, you can work from home. You can swear loudly in the office and no one will reprimand you. You can scream and lose your cool and storm out, and still have a job to come back too.

Cons

NO Work to life ratio. They expect the world out of you and pay you very little with no chance of advancement. Upper management micromanages and they only know technology that is antiquated. A lot of the employees are stressed out and a good amount of them very disrespectful and condescending. If you want to feel like your back in junior high, this is the place. If you want to work with POS systems and accounting systems youve never heard of, and wont get any training on, this is the place to work. If you want to work 7 day weeks and work "late and after hours" because upper management cant manage their time properly, this is the place If you have a drinking problem, you'll fit right in here. Upper executives are whiners and most of the time their problems arent important but their Iphone needs will come before real problems within the company. If you knwo what the journal collector is, this is a good place for you to work. If you want to work on projects that are unimportant and not fix important issues, this is a great place to work.If you want to talk to rude gas station attendees all day over the phone and you know what triple polling is, then this is the place for you. Come on in!

Advice to Management

Act like professionals. Stop overworking your employees. Fire the people who treat others badly. Get rid of the enterprise system that you need to rely on your vendor for and put too much money into. Fire the people who refuse to move away from old technology.

"I suggest you keep looking for something better, take it from me!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Alliance Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are not many pros when it comes to working for this company. First, I would say that the customers and some of my employees made it worth it at times. Secondly, has to be the fact that I was able to be promoted three times within a three year span. But I assure you, that was the ONLY thing positive about it. Mind you, there was a LOT of time and vast amount of dedication I had to show before I was even considered.

Cons

Where do I start? I will keep it in a nut shell for you to give an idea what you would be getting yourself into if you do consider applying for a job with this company. When it comes to pay, if you are a cashier you most likely get a little more then average. Management get hardly anything and once you become salary then forget about it. I was a Store Manager and if you divided the amount of hours I worked by the amount I was getting paid I was making less then my cashiers. Keep in mind, that was never once and a while thing. I went months and months with maybe a few days off. The support structure in this company is nonexistent. Its all about you fending for yourself, and good luck asking help from other stores since they tend to be stuck in the same situation as you. Basically this company asks for far too much of you. I am not one to complain. I mean, I was carrying the store all on my own without an issue for a long time, never was expecting help or even asked for it. But when I finally did I got nothing, more like being told I was the one to blame for mistakes that I had no control over. The way the economy has been going, it has to say something when more then one store manager walks away from a job with nothing else to go to. Yes, it was that bad. So, do yourself a favor and think really hard about turning to this company for employment because they will take full advantage and then toss you away when there is nothing left.

Advice to Management

I highly doubt that they will ever read this. But, make up your mind on how you want to direct your company. It was a nightmare and causes mass confusion when you keep changing company polices and or importance. Remember that the people at the bottom are not numbers, we are human beings who do have lives outside of your so called " Grand Opening Ready " concept. Find the disconnect in the link of management because it is what kills the normal flow of work. When you are a Store Manager and all of your superiors all give different answers to the same question, it can take away from your authority and make people question if you know how to manage your own company. Get upper management, like Territory Managers, who actually are good at their jobs. That they want to work as a group and not just pop in and never want to connect with their employees. Mine never said more then a few words to me, hardly knew the names of my cashiers and never was happy to come into the store. This causes the moral to be lowered and to make your employees feel less important which then reflects the out come of your P&L's. But I don't know why I have to explain this, they should already know, they are the ones who got the fancy diplomas from those expensive colleges that taught them how to manage real people...I will take that you the reader will gain more from this then them. Trust me, this place, so not worth it. And that's what really grinds my gears!

"Keep looking. Not a good place to work anymore."

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Alliance Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to advance. Quarterly bonuses were a plus however it takes months past the ending quarter before it gets paid out. The only thing I miss is my customers and many of the outside vendors/delivery drivers. They made working enjoyable.

Cons

Constant changes to policies and procedures. Upper management never gave any clear direction to what was expected and made you feel like a failure if there was a little dust on a shelf. Very little to no appreciation for the amount of work the managers are expected to do every single day.

Advice to Management

They need to realize how hard their managers work for them. The managers are the ones keeping the business alive. They should be treated more fairly.

"The worst experience of my life"

I worked at Alliance Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hard working co workers who swallowed there pride to keep employed.

Cons

Awful upper management. No respect shown for people who make the company run day to day.

Advice to Management

Spend a week in our shoes. See how hard it is to run a store when you are given mandates that are impossible to meet. Selfish intimidating upper management who are incapable of recognizing who butters there breads. I wish nothing but the worst for this company and hope they go up in flames for the way they treat people.

"Alliance Energy/Global Montello be cautious!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Alliance Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits package.

Cons

Very stressful, too much paperwork and constant program changes, very militant environment, high turn around and hard to get good employees due to low starting wages.

Advice to Management

Let store managers do what they are paid to do without territory managers showing up everyday to change things and create chaos. You pay us to manage and increase profits and to motivate our team but, upper management makes this very hard when I can only give a hardworking employee a ten cents an hr raise for the year or you expect store managers to work 60hrs a week without ever saying thank you.

"Working at Alliance was extremely stressful with lackluster compensation"

Pros

I am not trying to be a negative Nancy but there is not one positive thing about working here its completely unpleasant

Cons

There are to many con's to list. Dishonest about managerial bonus/incentive program. Compensation is below industry average. Do not offer any employee enrichment programs for employees looking to move up with company.

Advice to Management

Increasing wages for employees to a "livable" wage would decrease turnover and increase customer service ratings. I know that's not realistic but we can dream.

"Upper management has no idea how to run a chain of convenience stores and has no experience working with people!"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Alliance Energy full-time

Pros

Amazing site level and mid-level employees who are hard workers and care about results and customer service... unfortunately most leave due to poor work conditions

Cons

Too many to list:

1. No direction, mission statement, goals from executive management besides 'make more money for us so we can spend it on our lavish lifestyles'
    2. Executive management has no idea how to run a chain of convenience stores.
    3. Employees not promoted after YEARS of hard work and track record of success even with TM, OM endorsement. They would rather hire someone from the outside who has no experience in fuels marketing (another reason people don't stay)
    4. No controls at site level or above to ensure success for the company (P&Ls are on a manual Excel spreadsheet that must be edited by upper management)
    5. No work-life balance, especially when you become a salaried employee, expect 70-80 hours per week if you want to stay on their "good side"
    6. High turnover should say enough about why people hate working for this company. Unless you are looking for a PT site level position with no benefits (they don't want to give anyone benefits they don't have to) find anything else

Advice to Management

People in positions like CFO are trying to manage others by degrading them with threats, ruling by fear, and even shouting over the phone/ face-to-face with employees when they have no idea what they're talking about (stick to the numbers). As for the others, get into one of your stores for more than 2 minutes and learn a few of your employee's names, what they and managers do on a daily basis, and maybe you will begin to understand that they are not a number like you think.