Alliance Transportation Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Alliance Transportation Group Reviews

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gayle L. Heath

"Small, but hard working"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of potential for growth
    Fun co-workers
    Cool projects and knowledgeable managers
    Great benefits and management tries to do company outings

Cons

Lots of growth can cause strain but the company is trying to remedy this

2. "small"

Former Employee - Planner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Planner in Austin, TX

Pros

not usually work off time

Cons

time is not flexible, training is not enough

3. "Engineering Intern experience"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to work on cool projects quickly, liked coworkers, management cares about business development

Cons

Disorganization in workload planning, high expectations for EITs, inconstant workload

Advice to Management

Streamline communication between project managers and EITs. There seemed like there were disconnects at times.

"HR sells their company as a great place to work but has too many hiccups once you're inside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's no probationary period to receive health benefits. Their PTO policy is fair. They have a small gym/showers located on site, or they will reimburse you if you want to get a gym membership. They're constantly feeding you with company-sponsored lunches/fully stocked kitchen. During my short tenure there, they hosted a company picnic and invited all significant others/families to join, which was nice. Also, if you're just starting your career, they invite you to join a young professionals networking group, which is basically every Alliance employee under 30. The group meets once a month to practice presentation skills, but they also host happy hours, etc. It's a good opportunity to get to know your coworkers in other departments. The CEO is a woman, which is encouraging for an industry that is dominated by men.

Cons

They're not the best at communicating company expectations. I had a hard time understanding the hours I was expected to work, even though I kept blatantly asking. There was also a lot of turnover, which made everything hyper disorganized. I was never officially trained how to do my job. The dress code was pretty strict but the expectations were not the same across departments. I never really was given the chance to do the job they hired me to do.

Advice to Management

Alliance really needs to set out and then implement a training curriculum for new staff members. Also, the company should foster more open communication between departments.

"A good place to start after college but a niche company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work on a variety of projects
    Good health benefits and vacation
    Flexible schedules
    Friendly people
    You can talk to anyone in the company no matter the hierarchy

Cons

The company is going through a lot of growing pains and that has limited the actual growth
    Departments are siloed and do not work together as often
    Relatively high turnover in the past few years
    Salaries are lower but benefits are higher for a small firm
    Understaffed in certain departments and overstaffed in others

Advice to Management

Provide guidance and compensation for employees in order to allow them to grow within the company
    Allow employees to understand how the company does business before dropping them in the deep end
    More mid-level managers to manage lower level employees and free up more time for upper management to do their jobs
    Promote more integration of departments on projects and sharing of knowledge (planning/engineering/modeling)

"fun and exciting"

I have been working at Alliance Transportation Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting projects. Excellent reputation in the industry. Strong growth plans. Super benefits package.

Cons

Harder to hire folks when you're a small firm

Advice to Management

Sometimes you just gotta get out of the way

8. "Good and bad experience"

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Health Benefits
    Mostly great co-workers
    Opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects
    Snacks and occasional lunches
    Learning opportunities
    Somewhat flexible hours as long as you make up the time that you miss

Cons

Disorganized in several areas and communication problems exist between management and employees
    Murky expectations and virtually no job training - you will be thrown in the deep end to see if you can swim
    Occasional long hours but not usually exceeding 50/week - they ask you to work over 40+ hours/week standard and you will have utilization goals drilled into your head
    Only 2 weeks total for vacation and sick time was standard at time of employment
    Management showed favoritism several times that I can remember and there is a hint of nepotism on the planning side
    Some project managers tend to micro-manage
    Very high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Create a training program for new hires, especially at the base level. Increase paid time off to avoid burnout. Set better project vision early and follow through instead of changing roles and assignments constantly, I felt I was constantly aiming at a moving target. Have middle management step back from day to day project assignments.

"full time"

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group full-time

Pros

Company pays 100% insurance for employees and families.

Cons

Management sets up new training and rules very often in hopes to move the company from a smaller firm to a larger firm. However, the managers and execs that are making and giving the training, dont even follow the rules they've set up for everyone else. The CEO is not approachable which makes for a hostile work environment at times, her temper is not professional. There is a communication gap between the three different departments. There are a lot of closed door conversations especially when it comes to HR which makes for a very uneasy work environment. The level of professionalism behind the closed door conversations lends itself to small town like drama. The company is smaller so theres always a lot of gossip. There also is a LOT of inconsistency when it comes to direction depending on which person you talk to which also makes for an unproductive work environments and you're often caught between your 3-4 different bosses. Utilization you have to meet while working there is often fluffed because it is so high making budgets bust and management upset but they're the ones imposing the high UT rates. Even though they say theyre family oriented they want you to work 45+ hours a week at a minimum.

Advice to Management

Find a way to promote a better work environment from the top down. Ensure that all rules are followed by everyone but especially management. Promote communication throughout the three major groups.

10. "Disorganized, lack of communication, and uncomfortable"

Pros

Health insurance
    Mini gym
    Snacks
    Occasional lunches

Cons

I was not trained properly and so many people gave me their 2 cents on how to do my job which would get confusing. The turnover is extremely high, I think due to poor culture and upper management. I would over hear upper management speak badly about employees who were departing the company with other employees.

Advice to Management

Please change your attitude.

11. "It has been an amazing opportunity for growth and career advancement."

I have been working at Alliance Transportation Group full-time

Pros

You can get a much better overall understanding of the industry at a smaller firm.

Cons

If you don't like hard work, and taking initiative without being spoon fed this might not be the right firm for you.