AllianceBernstein Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Seth Bernstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • To get ahead you need to give up on work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management should address this rather than turning a blind eye (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love working at AB"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I have been working at AllianceBernstein full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, people is the primary reason i love to go to work every day. Just like i love to come back home to my family, it is like my working hour time family.

Cons

Not sure haven't seen any but will update once i see any cons out of the norm with any company.

2. "Great Culture"

I have been working at AllianceBernstein full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Treated very fairly
    Nice benefits
    Room to move up in the organization
    Very approachable, horizontal management chain
    Very ethical to clients and employees

Cons

Might have to work some long hours

3. "Regional Consultant (client group specific)"

Current Employee - Regional Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at AllianceBernstein full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues are great! A lot of smart, driven people and it is a joy working with them. Great products, thought leadership, and practice management content.

Cons

Middle management of the sales desk lack the sales knowledge, market knowledge, and emotional intelligence to assist young talent. There are essentially 5 people managing 40 people without a value add, while the product managers actually supporting the sales force are being deprived of resources they need. Morale is extremely low and talent is leaving and will continue to leave. The move to Nashville is a catalyst but this problem has been pervasive.

Senior management should address this rather than turning a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the poor allocation of resources within middle management. Everyone knows this is the case, yet the problem continues. With the exception of one, the managers of the sales desk are good people—but their skills leave much to be desired.

""Great culture and firm invests in its people""

Pros

It has been my personal experience that the firm invests in its people. I have relocated cities twice, for personal reasons. The firm invested in me and worked with me to find a position during each of my moves to keep me with the firm, which makes me feel very valued. More recently, when I needed to move to a flexible work schedule they made that possible for me.

The culture and people at AB are why I'm still at the firm. I've worked in a regional office and at our headquarters and something consistent in each place was that people are willing to help. I have never had someone not make time for me. I've had Managers and Senior Management go above and beyond for me.

Cons

The roles at AB I've had have always been very dynamic and fast-paced. I thrive under those situations and it makes my day to day very interesting, but for some that don't like to work at a fast pace and balance multiple things going on at once it can be challenging.

5. "This is an excellent place to work with great colleagues an overall good openness"

Current Employee - User Experience Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - User Experience Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at AllianceBernstein full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The senior leadership is conscious of their people and does a good job of fostering programs to make employees feel valued and they’re making strategic choices that are mostly good for the agility and ability of he company to become innovative and discover it’s next act.

Cons

Institutional bias and corporate machinery can sometimes get in the way of innovative ideas. There can’t be more space created to allow innovators and entrepreneurs to find the new rather than just process improvement which is equally important.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for was to create space for your innovators and find ways to identify them and let them partner with people across the organization to craft the wave of the future. Keep up the good work overall and be vigilant about protecting and extending the culture that has emerged over the years particularly as the HQ gets moved and there is opportunity for further gains and improvement.

6. "Large company with no outlook"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AllianceBernstein full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Remote work capabilities, friendly staff

Cons

Management promotions is all political. Often you have managers in areas with zero background. Pay is below par. Everything is hidden behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

Pay the top people if you want to succeed. Have a plan. This asset management firm is one of the few where there is no growth.

7. "Working at a global asset manager"

I have been working at AllianceBernstein full-time

Pros

hard working, motivated employees
    focused on getting the job done
    managers very approachable

Cons

company is moving headquarters out of NYC

8. "Private Client Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AllianceBernstein full-time

Pros

Provides solid foundation for introduction to asset management out of college campus recruiting. Great training program covering soft and hard skills related to the business and possible career paths within private wealth management. Kind, thoughtful people and a positive working environment. Although experience differs based on team placement, some financial advisors are really invested in your learning and development.

Cons

Experience is largely circumstantial based on team placement. Management and financial advisors often placed at odds, causing friction and dissonance for support staff. Rigid upward trajectory (nevertheless, very great for those pursuing sales). Nights and weekend work expected for some teams.

9. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at AllianceBernstein full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have the best culture.

Cons

You definitely have to look out for yourself and push for recognition.

10. "Supportive Work Environment in Which Ambition is Rewarded"

Pros

Strong employee engagement; senior management actively works to improve work environment; good communication from top down

Cons

I had a positive experience.