Alliant Credit Union Reviews

3.4
Alliant Credit Union President and CEO David W. Mooney
David W. Mooney
Pros
Cons
  • "Not all of upper management is approachable(in 5 reviews)

• "You do not get promoted for your hard work in the member service center(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"What makes Alliant such an amazing place to work?"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many reviewers have expressed concerns about the location, different experiences with flexible and remote work arrangements, technology or the ability to grow at Alliant. Here is what I think makes Alliant an amazing place to work - Alliant provides a challenging and rewarding career opportunities for those who are willing to work hard, commit to Alliant’s mission and provide input that moves the organization further. Alliant is also an organization that adapts to the circumstances and do what’s best for its employees and members. It’s in times of crisis and uncertainty, where Alliant’s leadership proves its ability to lead the organization by successfully shifting its operations and business focus without having to lay employees off, cut on pay or benefits. I consider myself extremely fortunate to work for an organization that cares so much about its members and employees. If you’re looking for fancy offices with a bar and a game room, you may not find it here for a while now. But if you’re looking for a company that will challenge you, help you grow (if you’re willing to work hard), and provides you with job security in times of economic downturn, Alliant is a place for you and you should give it a chance. I’m glad I did.

Cons

Can't think of any.

April 8, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We take all feedback seriously and fully evaluate suggestions. We are pleased to hear that you find Alliant offers a challenging and rewarding professional experience as we continually seek to enhance our employee value proposition. Alliant provides opportunities to learn and grow at all levels of the organization, and professional development is essential for all employees and even more so for our leaders. Our leaders wear many hats and appreciate everyone’s contributions and hard work put into making us a successful organization. We are very proud of our entire team coming together to meet the needs of our employees and our members during these uncertain times validating Alliant’s digital-first mission and our commitment to offering a “simple and exceptionally reliable digital experience.” We hope you stay safe and healthy, and we wish you continued success at Alliant.

2. "Alliant is a great organization to work for!"

Former Employee - Senior Loss Prevention in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great organizational culture and a real emphasis on employee involvement.

Cons

Schedule flexibility and lack of remote work access

March 25, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate hearing from employees who enjoy our culture and our people and value the emphasis we put on employee engagement and involvement. We’re glad you also experienced it while working for our credit union. We’d also like to share that Alliant recently launched a clearly defined enterprise remote work policy designed to provide more work from home opportunities enabled by effective technological and organizational systems and processes to support and encourage remote work. As with remote work, schedule flexibility is dependent on the role as some positions require specific work hours to meet the needs of our members. We will continue to evaluate and evolve our total reward offerings to ensure we continue to attract, engage and retain talent.

3. "It was just okay - do not recommend"

Former Employee - Membership Service Representative

I worked at Alliant Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good co workers, decent PTO time

Cons

ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF THE MCC is a better Job. If looking for Alliant, which already has very poor salaries for the work load, look into upper management first, do not take an entry level, look elsewhere.

July 2, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our benefits and some aspects of our culture, especially our people, while working at Alliant. We invest in our employees, as our human capital is our competitive advantage, and we love hearing when employees appreciate their colleagues. We’d also like to address your concern about growth opportunities. First, everyone at Alliant has an opportunity to grow in their role and develop new skills. Alliant prides itself in supporting our employees’ development and learning opportunities through tuition reimbursement, on the job training, and individual courses and seminars that helped employees pursue professional development. We recognize that work in the call center is fast-paced, and it is a great way to learn the business. We encourage and support career advancement and many employees express interest in internal opportunities. In 2018, 14.5% of our job openings were filled with internal candidates, and in 2019, that number increased to 24%.

4. "Small credit union becoming an online bank"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Inclusive, people, culture, flexibility and changing.

Cons

Small, poor upper management, growing too fast, and needs direction.

June 25, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. It always makes us happy to hear from employees who enjoy our culture and our people and value the emphasis we put on employee engagement and involvement. We’re glad you also experienced it while working for our credit union. We appreciate you taking the time to review us. As a growing company, we value feedback coming from our employees. It provides us with valuable insight Alliant needs to strengthen our culture and build our future.

5. COVID-19

"The Pandemic Changed Everything"

1.0
    Current Employee - Member Service Consultant in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

At this point, just the benefits.

Cons

This is a company that made all the changes for the worse adjusting to the pandemic. They do not care about their employees, if they need to tend to children, have children with special needs, pregnant or have a pregnant spouse or maybe, just maybe, their mental health isn't doing so well with everything going on. Whether the reason being helping a child with homework, a young child that doesn't understand the current state we're living in and needs some attention, if a repair man has to come to the house and you have to step away for a few moments, and the list goes on, everything is counted against you without any lack of concern or empathy. If you try to express any concerns about how you're feeling or the way things are being conducted, the only response you'll receive is "that's just the policy" and be told work is more important. If you're looking for a company that values and cares for their employees, this is not the place. Also for reference, my ratings given to the company are post-pandemic changes. Prior to the pandemic, this was a place I would have referred to a friend and have tried to do so in the past.

June 5, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. We would like to take this opportunity to address the concerns you mentioned in your post. Alliant instituted a work from home directive for the vast majority of its employees to protect their safety and wellbeing while continuing the business operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to ease the transition to the new work environment, the leadership team temporarily suspended its attendance program, giving our employees two months to adjust to the new working environment and request accommodations necessary due to individual circumstances. In order to support business continuity, the attendance policy has been reinstated. Over this period of time, Alliant has continued to provide a robust benefits offering and worked with its benefit providers to gain access to supplemental resources designed to help our employees navigate through the pandemic. These benefits allow for individuals to seek and receive assistance in many areas, including physical and mental health. Please reach out to the Human Capital team for help in understanding the benefits available to you.

6. "An average company"

I worked at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation, work life balance, flexibility

Cons

Easy works and not challenging, limited learning and growing opportunities, incapable managers/VPs

May 6, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. Our employee value proposition is always top of mind when evaluating our total reward programs, so we are glad to hear our benefits and the pay component met your needs during your employment at Alliant. We are also sorry to hear you didn’t find your job challenging enough. We strive to be an organization that supports our employees’ growth and development as we try to create challenging and rewarding job opportunities. A key component of our talent management strategy is to provide our employees with the opportunity to learn, grow, develop and contribute in a variety of areas. This affords employees with the ability to expand their skillsets and seek internal roles that align with their skills, talents and career aspirations. We always encourage everyone to express interest in internal opportunities as these arise. In 2018, 14.5% of our job openings were filled with internal candidates, and in 2019, that number went up to 24%. We are at 25.4% in 2020 so far.

"Appears attractive....but look closer!"

I have been working at Alliant Credit Union

Pros

Competitive pay, time off and transparency from senior leadership.

Cons

Accountability and growth opportunities are EXTREMELY selective. “Rising star” favorites are blatantly obvious due to favoritism. Middle and senior management needs more accountability. Office locations limit attracting top talent who reside downtown.

March 6, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Our employee value proposition is always top of mind when evaluating our total reward programs, so we are glad to hear our benefits and the pay component meet your needs. We'd like to take this opportunity to address your concerns and comments. First, career growth and development – we strive to be an organization that supports our employees' growth and development, and we are sorry to hear this hasn't been your experience. A key component of our talent management strategy is to provide our employees with the opportunity to learn, grow, develop and contribute in a variety of areas. This affords employees with the ability to expand their skillsets and seek internal roles that align with their skills, talents and career aspirations. We encourage everyone to express interest in internal opportunities as these arise. In 2018, 14.5% of our job openings were filled with internal candidates, and in 2019, that number went up to 24%. We are at 18% in 2020 so far. Second, the organizational structure and the talent needs to enable the structure are regularly assessed and adjusted to achieve our business strategy. Through ongoing workforce planning, we align the organizational needs and priorities with the people resources required to ensure we meet our enterprise priorities. Effective resource allocation is a component of our business strategy, and we are transparent about this aspect of our strategy. Lastly, the office location – our Real Estate Strategy team works on ensuring Alliant provides office space and locations that enhance Alliant's workspace and better position us for future growth. In addition, Alliant recently launched an enterprise remote work policy, which supports our ability to attract and retain a wider talent pool without geographical location restrictions.

8. "Superficially Good"

Current Employee - Collections in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Alliant pushes you hard to review them in the honeymoon period to make sure they get lots of good vibes on Glassdoor, I wanted to be objective which is why I waited to review them until I was here for a while. Alliant pays ok, there's room to advance but there's room because we are so short staffed. There is a perpetual skeleton crew in most departments which makes work more demanding than it needs to be and certainly makes the salary they pay not quite up to par with the amount or work. They also seem to accept mediocrity, it is well know and spoken about around the office that 90% of employees are apathetic, ignorant, or both, so if you have a decent head on your shoulders and any kind of work ethic you can move up, but just know it's like the A squad against the B squad, you'll win and look good, but it's against poor competition. Are you really sharpening your skills in this kind of environment? Their technology also needs an upgrade, internet slows and stops on the regular and our internal systems are garbage. All in all, it pays the bills, come for opportunities to advance, leave for greener pastures after 2 years or so.

Cons

See above , I just put it all in one statement.

January 31, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and we appreciate your candid feedback. We’d like to take an opportunity to respond to things you touched on. First, the feedback – Alliant leverages feedback from surveys and online channels to work on improving the employee experience. We ask our new employees to use online tools, like Glassdoor, to share their feedback on their interview experience and first cultural impressions, as we want to engage that group in feedback sharing. In most cases, new employees are not always eligible to participate in company surveys within the first few months of employment, and online tools provide an excellent channel for them to share their experiences. We also encourage our tenured employees to utilize those tools. The great thing about Glassdoor is that reviewers can submit a review once every 12 months, regardless if your experiences change or stay the same. We encourage all employees to drop us a note on our profile. Second, the target operating model – a component of our talent management strategy is to regularly assess talent needs as well as how we must organize to achieve our business strategy. Through ongoing workforce planning, we align the organizational needs and priorities with the people resources required to ensure we meet our enterprise priorities. Effective resource allocation is a component of our business strategy, and we are transparent about this component of our strategy. Lastly, the people – we’d like to learn more about your experience in this area and where it comes from. Our goal is to provide a work environment culture and have employees that align with and support the culture. Year over year, over 90% of our employee populations states Alliant is a great place to work, with a vast majority giving the highest rating to our engaged culture and people. We know we aren’t perfect, nor do we strive to be. We want to be aware of workplace issues, so if you feel comfortable, please reach out to any of our Human Capital Group team members to talk about your observations, and help us make a difference in the employee experience at Alliant.

9. "trust no one"

1.0
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative

I have been working at Alliant Credit Union full-time

Pros

vacation time and shifts if you can earn a good one

Cons

too much stress, too much backstabbing, too little time for yourself. they don't care about the employees, only that management looks good

February 21, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your Alliant experience with us. We strive to provide a positive employee experience, and we are sorry to hear this has not been your experience. Honest employee feedback is the best way for our credit union to learn where to focus our efforts to ensure our employees have opportunities to develop new and valuable skillsets and make a meaningful impact. The Member Care Center plays a key role in interacting with our members and helping them with their banking needs. The team’s goal is to provide a best in class member experience in every phone conversation our Member Service Consultants (MSC) answer each day. We understand that this job requires the ability to work in a fast-paced, high-call-volume environment. Since the essential function of the roles in the Member Care Center is to respond to member inquiries via phone, the work may seem repetitive and sometimes stressful. That is why the MSCs work on a set break/lunch schedule (2 breaks and 1 meal period) each day, ensuring they are able to have time for themselves. Alliant closely monitors call volume to ensure we are appropriately staffed to manage incoming calls. We provide opportunities to learn and grow through instructor-led onsite training classes where employees secure the tools and resources necessary to be successful in their roles. We care about our employees’ wellbeing and growth, and we’d like to learn more about why you’ve had a different experience. Please feel free to contact your senior leader or anyone on the Human Capital Group to share more details with us.

10. "The grass is greener at Alliant"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alliant Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

My favorite part about working at Alliant is their focus on employee engagement and job satisfaction. They invest in us as employees and you can see how it has paid off for them.

Cons

As a city-dweller the headquarters' physical location is less than ideal.

January 10, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We pride ourselves on being a highly-engaged and employee-focused company, and we are happy to hear about your positive experience here at Alliant. As you may know, our Real Estate Strategy team is currently working on finalizing the headquarters relocation plan and our goal is to provide a work environment that best meets the needs of the current and future workforce.

Found 113 reviews