Alliant Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Alliant Energy Chairman, President and CEO Patricia Kampling
Patricia Kampling

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company provides a positive environment to work in that values the ideas of every individual within the company (in 9 reviews)

• Salary and benefits are okay, this is because it recently improved after a market study told them they were lagging far behind competitors though (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It seems like you always have to look over your shoulder as the team leads are looking for any reason to fire you or write you up (in 3 reviews)

• Maybe if Madison paid attention to what people in the smaller call centers thought it would be better (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Thought I'd stay for 3 years, 21 years later I love this place!"

Current Employee - Director in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Madison, WI

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement
    Competitive salaries
    Good benefits
    Excellent facilities & technology
    Forward thinking leadership
    Commitment to customers and communities
    Great people!

Cons

Occasional challenges working across groups (union vs. not, Iowa vs. WI, group to group)

Advice to Management

Leverage the people and culture you have

2. "Good employer to grow at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Alliant Energy has allowed me the flexibility to pursue areas of the company that interested me over my career. I have not been hampered by an over-reliance on needing to be perfectly aligned technically for a position. Having a desire to learn and a willingness to immerse myself into a new role has allowed me to explore areas of the company that my initial degrees were in. The company has been balanced and fair regarding

Cons

There are politics, like in any large organization. Getting caught up in current trends in the utility industry can make for frustrations with changes in long-term planning.

Advice to Management

Being aware of those who play politics too well to the detriment of others/groups would better help foster a stronger culture.

3. "Disrespectful Management"

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time

Pros

Vacation, tuition reimbursement, Benefits are Ok.

Cons

I really thought that I would be here until I retired. Things have changed dramatically over the last couple of years, how management treats employees are the main reason. It is no longer an open and respectful working environment. Instead it has become a watch your back environment where Managers are manipulative and undermine employees. Managers will talk about employees to others in the department about how an employee is being coached, this really is inappropriate for other team members to hear.

Morale is low and employees are being mistreated and overworked.

HR’s only concern is to protect the Supervisors/Managers not the employee. If you have a genuine problem and bring it to their attention nothing is done, you will get no support and follow up is nonexistent. Basically Managers are always in the right, employees have no say.

Madison is not a very welcoming/friendly location. There is a very negative vibe, people will pass you in the halls with their heads down and avoid eye contact. You say hello and maybe they will say it back. The building itself is dreary and outdated. The front was renovated and it looks great.

Advice to Management

Start holding your Managers and Directors accountable for how they treat people.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time

Pros

Work/life balance in IT is amazing You can actually have a life outside of work! 401k and other benefits are very good.

Cons

Communication between some groups could be improved and projects should be fully completed instead of ending when budget runs out.

5. "Engineer I"

Current Employee - Engineer I in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits except health care

Cons

Not what they promised. Bad health insurance.

"Great place to spin your tires"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good 401k match, decent benefits otherwise.
    - Fairly low stress work environment.
    - Good place if you want to work a 9-5 and leave it all in the office at the end of the day.
    - Work life is generally very good - nobody cares if you work 30 hour weeks as long as you are popular enough.

Cons

- IT titles are awful - 'IT Analyst' translates as 'Peon' at other organizations.
    - IT has very little sway in the organization - until very recently the Director of IT reported to the guy in charge of security guards and travel agents.
    - Very hot and cold in terms of investment: If your area isn't the current priority expect to use tools that are on the oldest supported version.
    - Very old school, waterfall approach to development results in long projects that often don't meet user requirements.
    - Huge backlog of tasks for IT leads to business units funding their own 3rd party solutions.
    - Hard to make your ideas come to life, even with management support.
    - They like to hire at the low end of their compensation ranges and won't work to move you up unless you fight for it.
    - Occasionally they do really rotten things, like firing someone on New Years Eve to avoid paying out the vacation that accrues on January 1st.

Advice to Management

Consider modernizing your approach to IT delivery, modernize your systems, and create more flexibility for your employees in bringing their ideas to life. Creative people feel stifled at Alliant Energy - is that what you want?

7. "lineman"

Former Employee - Journeyman Lineman in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Lineman in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

bad location to work in

8. "Poor continuity"

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

They impact employees with HR changes with little to no notice. Many are let go with no notice.

Advice to Management

If you truly believe that employees are your most valuable asset then start treating them that way.

"Good pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Centerville, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Centerville, IA

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay and the health benefits were correct

Cons

At least in the call center i was in Management was a joke. They treated you like children, have to go to the bathroom but it is not a scheduled break? Dont do it you will get in trouble. It seems like you always have to look over your shoulder as the team leads are looking for any reason to fire you or write you up. Maybe if Madison paid attention to what people in the smaller call centers thought it would be better. But no one cared, complaints went on deaf ears. Huge updates that were a part of our jobs to know were not shared timley

10. "Accounting and finance Intern"

Former Employee - Finance Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Alliant Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

good working environment, friendly people, motivated supervisor

Cons

Travel distance depending on the location you stay.