Alliant Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2021

Found 207 of over 244 reviews

Alliant Energy Chairman and CEO    John Larsen (no image)
John Larsen
Pros
  • "Great company culture, very safety-focused, and positive work environment(in 16 reviews)

• "Great people who will help you succeed(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Maybe if Madison paid attention to what people in the smaller call centers thought it would be better(in 7 reviews)

• "Their actions do not demonstrate the company’s core values(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Driving changes - which is good

Mar 25, 2021 - Human Resources in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, benefits, care for customers and communities, working on more diversity and inclusion. Work from home during pandemic.

Cons

Less people resources and not great systems to do the work. Some employees don’t understand the need to change.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Its an exciting time at Alliant Energy

Jun 14, 2021 - Manager in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am energized by the transformation work underway at Alliant Energy. The company is investing in technology to reduce manual work and frustration in my day to day work. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

Pace of change is slower than I would like, and often met with resistance.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excited to be part of the team!

May 14, 2021 - Director in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Alliant Energy is a great company and they care about their employees and the community they serve. You see it in the way they invest in their business, the communities, and in their employees. There is a lot of change going on, much needed change. The utility industry had been slow to change in general, and the current leadership is working hard to deliver against the company goals. Who doesn't get excited about clean energy and caring for the environment. The company has been very flexible with employees, and shown great care over the past 14 months as we continue to deal with the pandemic. Benefits are outstanding!

Cons

For some the change has been hard. There are a lot of new people in new roles, and employees are having to learn new skills and expand their mindset. I don't see that as a con, but some do.

1 person found this review helpful

Alliant Energy Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your what it’s been like for you while working at Alliant Energy. We work hard to build a positive culture at Alliant Energy. We too are excited about our clean energy goals and initiatives that will benefit our customers and the environment today and in the future. Our team members are asked to be incredibly nimble as we strive to achieve our goals while serving customers and building strong communities. Thanks again for leaving this review.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Believe the Reviews!

May 5, 2021 - Support Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is unbeatable, Tuition Reimbursement, Mostly Friendly Team mates, great balance for most depending on department.

Cons

Advancement opportunities nonexistent, “Culture” work is for show, very few true leaders who know how to foster and develop their team, Nepotism and favoritism are rampant! No matter how great your work ethic, how hard you work, try and prove yourself, or how much you network you will not be promoted. All “job openings” have already been decided on, they just go though the motions and promote the same people over and over again.

5 people found this review helpful

Spokesperson for Alliant Energy

Thank you for sharing your experiences and perspective surrounding your time at Alliant Energy. We recognize that working at Alliant Energy isn't for everyone and we’re sorry your experience with us wasn’t a positive one. In response to your comment, “advancement opportunities nonexistent,” we disagree. Change is constant in our industry, and we consistently evaluate our teams for growth opportunities and realignment. We welcome input from our employees on our transformation, which is intended to meet important clean energy goals and initiatives to better benefit our customers and the environment in the future. With transformation comes change, which can require new skill sets and specialties that were not previously required. We look internally for a good fit first before reaching outside our company to meet our needs, and we strive to hold our employees accountable to company standards. Change can be difficult; we’ve had to make some tough decisions on staffing to help continue our transformation trajectory in order to meet our company-wide goals. We appreciate and value all past and present Alliant Energy employees and the contributions they have made. Related to your comments on “company culture being for show”, that is not true. It is important to us and an expectation that all employees live our values. Leading by intimidation is not condoned at our company. We also have a conflict-of-interest policy that forbids our managers from supervising a relative. We have avenues for our employees to report any unethical actions and behaviors. Those avenues include an anonymous reporting hotline and, depending on the situation, the use of external investigators. This is reinforced through annual, mandatory employee trainings. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, we wish you the best in future endeavors.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Transforming - Making Great changes

May 21, 2021 - Finance Analyst in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid leadership vision about working in new ways; there are a lot of reviews on Glassdoor by people who don't want to change or don't want to work hard. The salary and benefits at Alliant are amazing, so these people are just too used to getting paid well for just mediocre performance. The new leadership are working to automate and transform the work. The negative people on Glassdoor just want to be paid well to coast and don't like to be pushed to modernize. For the rest of us, we want to make things better. If someone has been demoted or let go, its likely because they were not willing to work hard and add value.

Cons

Utility industry tends to be slow to change

Be the first to find this review helpful

Alliant Energy Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on working at Alliant Energy. While we are always working to do even better, we're glad you've experienced our leadership vision that embraces working in new and transformative ways for our customers. We work hard to make that part of our culture at Alliant Energy. We appreciate everything you do for us and our customers!

6. 1.0
      Current Employee

EVP & CFO Writing a Review?

Jun 16, 2021 - Shared Services Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of work, as you will be doing the job of 3 people

Cons

It is a sad state of affairs when an EVP feels the need to write a review to defend the company. It is even worse when the review written is oblivious to what is actually going on. How can you be so blind? The 3 things this company cares about are profits, profits, and profits. Nowhere in the company's strategy are employees mentioned or even acknowledged.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Alliant Energy

Jun 16, 2021 - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Sun Prairie, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

401k plan and grandfatherd Pension program

Cons

Pension plan has been eliminated for the last 10 years. This position is no longer being supported in Wisconsin. The company is only hiring employees in Iowa at a lower rate of pay going forward for the CSA positions.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Best Suit Covers all the Cancers Inside

May 29, 2021 - Finance in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

It use to be salary but I have been given 2 other people's jobs since they were let go so I do 60 hours per week and hence my salary is now much below average.

Cons

This place is the best if you want to be a medical student studying lots of cancers. Alliant has all kinds of cancers which is covers up with spending money on PR. Think about buying the best suit ratepayers can afford to cover those cancers. Imagine VPs and Executives who get paid extremely high salaries who spend time posting on Glassdoor vs spending the time on the business and not being hypocrites to the value statements of the company. See.....they are automating people's jobs so that one day after all my hard work they will say thank you for your efforts and you are now let go. Sounds like a great deal huh? Cancers include bullying, intimidation, no integrity, making employees do unethical things, weak HR department who looks the other way, hypocrisy by VPs, Directors and even managers. Let this place die.......not worth saving! Rotten to the core

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Let this Place Die

Jun 14, 2021 - Finance Lead in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am struggling to find one pro.....it use to be pay, but no longer.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. When you look at the management team here, they are rotten, hypocrites, manage by fear, incompetent, overpaid for their skill set, and bullies. They don't care about the values but just to protect their high salaries. Most of the other reviews earlier in Glassdoor are spot on. It applies to upper management, directors and many managers. They have drunk the kool aid and lead using some WWII approaches. They walk around thinking they are god and can play with people's lives. Watch out this place is beyond toxic.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Current Employee

Fear-Based Micromanagement

Jun 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, union

Cons

Fear-based leadership, toxic work culture

6 people found this review helpful