Alliant Techsystems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alliant Techsystems President, CEO, and Director Mark W. DeYoung
Mark W. DeYoung

Pros
  • 9/80 work week, there was plenty of work and it was interesting, people were generally friendly, very good benefits package (in 13 reviews)

• Good work-life balance - except for some unavoidable crunch times (to be expected) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • tunnel vision management and top heavy (in 9 reviews)

1. "Buyer Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time

Pros

Has a gym for employees, one week long end of year holiday PTO

Cons

Unrealistic goals.demands for small staff department

"OK employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 work week, there was plenty of work and it was interesting, people were generally friendly, very good benefits package.

Cons

Middle management played favorites even though it goes against the company's ethics policy, increases are given to a select few even though each department has a separate budget for increases. In the department I worked in after my first favorable review I was told that my starting wage had been set a little higher to entice my employment and that because she considered the first year a learning year refused to give me an increase. Unlike many successful companies in the same industry, like Northrop Grumman, ATK does not give cost of living raises.

Advice to Management

Take a look at middle management and see who is the brains behind them. That's the people who should be rewarded. It's team work and the rewards should go to the team, not just the best friend.

3. "Aerospace Structure"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at Alliant Techsystems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting and challenging job, reasonable benefits, potential career advancement, several locations around the USA, can learn many skills from working on different projects and with many talented people.

Cons

Too much politics and management changes, each wants the job to be done their own way which confuses the employees, can be very stressful work environment and demands long working hours, benefits always changing for the worst

Advice to Management

Hire managers based on their knowledge not friendship and connections

5. "Elkton MD -- good intentions, but ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elkton, MD

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart people, incredibly important mission. People work very hard.

Cons

Leadership does not work especially well as a team. No shared, proactive vision for the future. A lot of "Do what I say, not what I do." Due to nature of work, physical work environment lacks amenities.

Advice to Management

People will follow -- if you can give a clear, coherent, compelling vision of the future.

6. "ATK"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Magna, UT
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Magna, UT

I worked at Alliant Techsystems (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay, product was interesting, close to home.

Cons

Company was unstable, RIFs, benefits decreasing.

7. "Engineering Test Tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good fun place to work. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Management need to change or the company will not survive. Get rid of the "Good O Boys Club".

Advice to Management

Change. Don't put people into management just because he is a good guy!

8. "Manufacturing Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting products, intelligent people, large infrastructure in aerospace products. Work life balance is reasonable, benefits are industry average (some better, some worse). Their 401k offering is above par, good health benefits and employee discounts.

Cons

PTO is combined vacation/sick, which isn't great, but average. Wide variety of maturity across sites, leads to some lack of process definition and teaming. Work atmosphere was a bit haphazard at times, with nebulous goals & way too much focus on metrics that didn't really mean anything.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees need support, and don't just expect they have everything handled. Look at providing more process maturity & consistency across sites, organization & divisions. Stop managing from above with useless metrics and start understanding what's going on in the business. Get rid of the "yes men/women" and the buzzword bingo toting managers. Cultivate real talent and push the penny pinchers & micro-managers aside.

9. "The job is fine, management is iffy."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Ashby, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Ashby, WV

I have been working at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with explosives, flexible start times, 9/80 schedule

Cons

To much interoffice politics! (but this is likely everywhere in today's employment)

Advice to Management

People who actually work their whole shift should receive a positive rating. Those who only work half their shift should receive a poor rating.

Address problems with the person or persons who have the problem.

10. "Started out great but now Lake City is falling apart."

Current Employee - Machine Technician in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Machine Technician in Independence, MO

I have been working at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are decent, they start you with over three weeks vacation in the first year. We used to get bonuses based on realistic goals.

Cons

They change your schedule multiple times a year. Management is now a holy terror. Mandatory overtime is now just part of your regular schedule so you can forget about family time. They continue to try and outsource our jobs. Management has set goals so high that they are unattainable given the equipment that we have and the lack of support groups (maintenance, electricians, engineering, skilled trades) Our best skilled trades have left to go elsewhere for better work environment and opportunity.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees right. Settle on a contract with the IAM so Lake City can get back to churning out world class ammo made in the heartland instead of outsourcing our jobs and trying to micromanage us into oblivion.

11. "Worked for ATK in the following business groups: Composites and Launch Systems."

Former Employee - Engineering, Quality, Product, Process, Etc in Brigham City, UT

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the work for the most part. Worked on the cutting edge of some processes and technologies.

Cons

Frustrated when working with the government (defense) and ATK project managers working on government projects. They are slow to respond to requests for changes.
    Ignore issues and problems associated with products and manufacturing processes.