Alliant Techsystems Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alliant Techsystems President, CEO, and Director Mark W. DeYoung
Mark W. DeYoung

Pros
  • 9/80 work week, there was plenty of work and it was interesting, people were generally friendly, very good benefits package (in 13 reviews)

• Good work-life balance - except for some unavoidable crunch times (to be expected) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • tunnel vision management and top heavy (in 9 reviews)

1. "Master Scheduler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time

Pros

Excellent work, life, balance - 9/80 schedule which is a huge plus!

Cons

At times it felt that teams working against each other.

Advice to Management

Encourage team building.

2. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Onalaska, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Onalaska, WI

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High level of employee engagement. Great benefits. Excellent training and employee development tools. Lots of incentives for those who work hard. Company invests in equipment and training to increase productivity and bottom line. Safety is #1.

Cons

Company doesn't seem to understand the impact its random acquisitions and closures do to the employees and the communities it leaves in the dust.

Advice to Management

Onalaska should never have been closed.

3. "Operation Team Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Magna, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Magna, UT

Pros

Over all great place to work

Cons

The change to our Benefit, And also working with union employees.

5. "Quality Inspector, Defense, Lake City Ammunition Army Base"

Former Employee - Inspector, Quality in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Inspector, Quality in Independence, MO

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people! i loved my coworkers and the company kept us well informed and treated us well. It's a manufacturing environment but the upper management still brought us in monthly for hour long meetings to talk about safety, profits, statistics, company issues, etc. At holidays the company held lunch or dinners for us, catered, gave us pretty decent gifts, like bags, shirts, even turkeys on Thanksgiving. I felt respected and valued by the company and i loved my team!

Cons

Sadly, laid off after the military cut backs. ATK had to deal with significant decreases in profitability and thus, restructured in a way to maximize. This resulted in lesser quality assurance and probably will increase some safety problems. I don't think the company expected this kind of decrease so suddenly.

Advice to Management

consider retaining your best people in cut backs....?

6. "Not the Layoff factory described on non-ammunition side"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small and responsive. Not as cumbersome as the larger Raytheon type companies. They try to run lean and keep people that can deliver even riding overhead with longer term perspective.

Cons

Doesn't have the resources of the big boys. Training and tools can be limited but they make sure they have the tools you need even if not the one's you'd prefer.

Advice to Management

When engineers on staff want to persue new technology and capabilities make the effort to support the effort. The payoff could be huge and anyone driven to go after a new capability is probably aware of their industry progress.

"ATK is an excellent place to work. If you want to work on leading edge products and projects this is the place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Alliant Techsystems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ATK is a great place to develop and broaden your skills. If you are willing to step up and stretch yourself you will get to work on really challenging and rewarding projects.

Cons

It isn't really a con, but you must be comfortable with change. There is a lot of change as this company is willing to try different things and course correct when things don't work.

Advice to Management

Be more open to venturing into adjacent and new markets.

8. "Great place to work few openings right now."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Magna, UT
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Magna, UT

Pros

Great boss. Great place to live.

Cons

ATK has lost contracts of late. We need more contracts.

9. "People On The Move"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Pros

Very fast paced environment allows the "quick study" employee to gain a lot of experience very fast. The only limit on growth potential is that placed on the employee by themselves.

Cons

Government contracts are not permanent or guaranteed. This is offset by the company retaining its best employees.

Advice to Management

Need more diversity

"Work here, you won't be sorry."

Former Employee - Contracts Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Contracts Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

This is a fantastic company at which to work. They have a great senior management team, and it flows down to all levels at the company. You know where senior management is taking the company, why, and what it will take from you to help it get there. Each employee is held accountable to helping reach the company's goals. I worked on research and development programs. ATK has well westablished methods of running research and development program. From the initial proposal, to executing on the program, to managing the risk -- you will see how a research and development program should be run. You will work with a team of people that are happy to be there and excited about what they are doing. You will feel like a valued member of the team. I worked here for 8 years -- I saw it grow from a $1B company to a $3B company through executive management decisions and smart acquisitions. ATK has also diversified beyond just aerospace/defense into commercial sporting goods. I use the things I learned here everyday in my professional life since leaving ATK. I was given the opportunity to participate in an employee mentorship program that helped me transition into my current career as a contracts manager. I also was sent (at ATK's expense) to several contracts management training classes out-of-state that provided invaluable training. This shows impressive commitment to their employee's growth. They publish salary bands for job classification/experience/responsibilities to their employees -- so you'll always know where you stand. They also have a great benefit package. In addition, ATK believes in work / life balance. You will work really hard and a lot of hours when required (e.g. a major proposal is due) -- but you won't be working by yourself. This is not a company where management stays home and the grunts work all night. The entire team will work side by side until its done. They also provide bonuses and comp time at the completion of the proposals. This company treats its employees with respect. If you have something go really wrong in your personal life (death of a family member, medical issue, divorce, military leave) -- they care. You can take a leave and will NOT be made to feel guilty. I really enjoyed working here and highly recommend this company. I have worked at both the Edina and Plymouth locations and thought highly of both of them. In fact, given that I believe the work environment starts with senior executive management -- I feel comfortable recommending any division of ATK.

Cons

I started at ATK right out of college with minimal experience. After a few years-- my salary no longer reflected my current responsibilities and experience. As I said above, they publish salary bands -- my salary was lower than the lowest on the band for my job title -- even with promotions/raises each year (5 promotions in 5 years) - my salary did not come up to even the median level for the band. I recommend that you negotiate a salary you are comfortable with when you initially interview.

Advice to Management

Keep up with your current path. You are doing a great job.

11. "Program Manager"

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time

Pros

9-80 work schedule is great

Cons

Politics and favoritism is poison

Advice to Management

Stop favoritism