Allianz Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

3.2
Allianz CEO Oliver Bäte
Oliver Bäte

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance: possibility to take days off (2 (in 78 reviews)

• the working environment is so nice (in 27 reviews)

1. "IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Allianz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and compensation, congenial work environment, employee and customer focus.

Cons

Being a German company, requires odd work hours at times when there is a need to be on calls with counter parts in Europe, some disconnects between Munich and US locations.

Advice to Management

Try to bridge differences in culture between US and Europe.

2. "Communications"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Allianz (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caring, intelligent people. Part of an outstanding global brand.

Cons

Unsure of true commitment to the US market.

3. "Need to listen to your employees"

Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allianz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation and benefits (a bit expensive)

Cons

If you're not someone's favorite, you're pretty much out of luck.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and fix the systems that are very outdated.

4. "Underwriter"

Current Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Underwriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Allianz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are empowered to make decisions. Generous 401k plan/match and stock purchase plan. Good benefits. Dynamic office environment with top notch leadership.

Cons

Average to below market salaries. Bonuses are average.

"Good job, great benefits, not great pay"

Former Employee - Billing Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Billing Finance in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Professional workplace, good people, lots of PTO in the first year, lots of training, great 401k match, mostly low stress.

Cons

Too many layoffs and offshoring with no security from position or department choice. Not a lot of sharing of information, very divided between departments.

6. "Underwriting"

Former Employee - Underwriting in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Underwriting in Novato, CA

I worked at Allianz (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allianz has great benefits and a casual working environment with flexibility

Cons

You never know when you are going to get laid off which is a routine activity. Allianz is moving operations and support jobs to India on a global basis, leaving no career path or options for redeployment. There is a big question mark on where the transfer to India stops.

Advice to Management

Management seems to have detailed strategies for success but the plans do not include the rank and file workers for future employment. No one know how many jobs will be moving to India and at what levels.

"Training Materials Need Updating and Trainers Need Training"

Former Employee - Account Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allianz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The vacation benefit was excellent!

Cons

I worked in the Chicago office on Monroe Street. There was inadequate seating for employees who wanted to stay in and eat lunch. The employee premium contribution for medical insurance was quite a bit more than my previous employer. When I was hired for this position, I was told I would be working with four underwriters. I was assigned accounts belonging to eleven underwriters. I had the same number of accounts assigned to me as coworkers who had been there for 10+ years. During the interview, I was told I would eventually take on international accounts. When I was assigned my accounts, international accounts were assigned from the beginning. One long-term employee was assigned domestic accounts only. I don't know why she received special treatment. Training for Account Technicians needs to be improved (see the Advice to Management section for details).

Advice to Management

Training for Account Technicians needs to be improved. I was required to complete several insurance classes online. The online training system did not operate properly. I had received a message indicating Java needed updating. I updated Java. The computer tech advised that I should not update Java because the training system would not work properly. Due to Java issues, I had problems seeing certain sections of the training and seeing and answering certain test questions. I skipped those questions and then failed the test because I didn't accumulate enough points. Very frustrating! When the tech finally resolved the issue, I had to go through the training and testing process again. It took way too much time. I also received a Java error message each time I entered payroll. I had three trainers. Though using outdated training materials designed for a different department/line of business, one of my trainers did an excellent job. She was thorough, took her time, and went step-by-step through the one process she trained me on. I felt confident in her ability to train and audit my work. I was off audit and on my own quite quickly for this process. Unfortunately, shortly after I finished my training, the department learned this process was going to be moved to the St. Louis office. A few weeks into my training, my second trainer took on additional job responsibilities. The way she trained changed: When the man that sat across from her was at his desk, she would train slowly; when the man was not at his desk, she would train super fast. When I mentioned to her in an email that she should let me know if she didn't have enough time to train me (because of her added responsibilities), she came over to my desk and told me not to email anything like that again . . . tell her verbally. I found her to be untrustworthy in her auditing. I completed an endorsement using the same format another employee had used previously. I emailed my trainer the endorsement for her to review/audit. I received an auto email response indicating she had opened the email I sent. Thirty seconds later, she responded that the endorsement was good. I doubt she could have reviewed the endorsement in 30 seconds. This was confirmed the next day when I completed a similar endorsement for a different time period. My trainer said the endorsement was incorrect. I advised her that she had reviewed and approved a similar endorsement the previous day and that another employee completed the endorsements in this manner. I could hear her talking to someone (I expect the other employee) in a loud, animated manner. She advised I should send the endorsement through as it was (though not correct) and to not go back and change the endorsement I completed the previous day. She also provided me with a training manually that was marked up with somebody's notes. She made the comment that I like notes, so this manual should work for me. I do like to take my own notes, but I don't want a manual marked up with notes written by another person. I don't know how good their notes are! I also used the department spreadsheet to email an international contact. I didn't receive a response. I finally found out that the contact had left the company more than a year prior (there needs to be more communication and the spreadsheet needs to be updated so time is not wasted emailing incorrect contacts). When I asked if the person who maintains the spreadsheet had been advised to remove the contact, she got upset and blew off my question. My third trainer was a very nice person. She had just returned from a long-term leave and was trying to refresh her own memory about the processes. We were both told that I should "shadow" her, but we found out later that she was actually supposed to be training me on the processes (not just letting me "shadow").

8. "CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Allianz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

relax easygoing and fun staff

Cons

pay increase is small and slow

Advice to Management

none

9. "Former long term employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allianz full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

401k match, daycare on site.

Cons

Double standards and very political. Too many tiers of management.

Advice to Management

Better management training, listen to your people.

10. "Overall work life at Allianz Life"

Current Contractor - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allianz as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Best work place to balance work and personnel life
    2. Very good work culture and people are friendly with colleagues
    3. Anytime, remote work will be mostly accepted
    4. No prolonged work hours

Cons

Career growth will be invisible.