Allied American University Reviews in Laguna Hills, CA | Glassdoor

Laguna Hills, CA

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Heart and passion for education"

Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in Laguna Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Allied American University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork driven environment, family atmosphere, lots of opportunity for growth and advancement, student focused, constantly striving to be the best possible university, never settling for the status quo

Cons

would be nice to have updated facilities like being in a high rise building where all of the departments are more accessible to each other.

Advice to Management

Keep stressing a student focused environment and lead us towards regional accreditation in 2016! Fully on board! Would be nice to have a university-wide outing so we get to know each other more as a whole

"Disorganized, Not Ran as a Business"

Former Employee - Admissions Trainer in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Trainer in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Allied American University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The front line staff in Admissions department were friendly and upbeat. The work hours for the Trainer position had flexibility to dictate own hours and benefits were decent.

Cons

No one had the minimal knowledge of running operations. All production goals, schedules, performance metrics were based on peoples' feelings as opposed to basic business statistics. There is no standardization. My experience with the Upper Management's communication was horrible. For example, when owners decided they were no longer moving forward with Regional Accreditation, they sent a blanket email to all staff simply saying "Thanks for all your hard work over the last 5 years but we're not moving forward." This caused lots of confusion and unanswered questions. The supervisory staff had to scrabble to gather staff to attempt to put out fires of people concerned they'd lose their jobs. A few weeks later over 40+ people were laid off. HR came to the department to do town hall layoff and didn't bother to check the break room to ensure everyone was at the meeting...a couple of people were in the break room and missed the layoff memo. People eventually walked in towards the end of the meeting to get the latest news they too were let go. Again, terrible communication.

Advice to Management

Please spend time running your business as a business. You need to analyze production, forecast, seek trends and project goals based on real analyzed business numbers as opposed to your feelings what goals and future production "should be." You should seek hiring a Business Analyst. Allow educated people to help you with decisions rather than having "the father" (old stubborn father of the business) make decisions based on his feelings. Run a business not a family affair based on fear of your father's stubbornness to make decisions based on facts and analyzed numbers.

3. "Stay away from the Financial Aid Office"

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Allied American University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing that I can say that is nice about this place. I enjoyed working with my peers but that is it. I learned nothing from them other that they are just another example of a corinthians college.

Cons

What can I say about AAU? Absolutely nothing positive!!
    When I interviewed for the financial aid position with their Financial Aid Director, I was painted a picture about a university that cares about its employees and rewards hard work because they believe in the people whom are serving their students. It is such a classic example of bait and switch if I have ever seen one in my life. Schools such as AAU are the reason why for-profit schools are getting a bad image. I will not be surprised that if in a few years they are forced to shut down, considering that they have only had financial aid for little less than three years and will soon be required to report their gainful employment data and as for their default rate, it is going up. I was hired by their financial aid director to do one thing and my pay was based on that fact but once I started, I was made to do so many other things that was out of my pay range, when I spoke with the financial aid director I was made promises that never kept and when I went to HR about I was just pushed to the side. Does this company not value their employees? It appears not!! Don’t believe me, their financial aid department has had a HUGE turnover rate and any that is looking for a job will see that they are always looking for replacements. Its not that they are growing, it’s the fact that people keep leaving. The only way ahead at AAU, is if you kiss the right person in the rear. Also working with their SALES team is a nightmare of people backstabbing just to get the number and do not care about the student. From their Chief Enrollment Management Officer to the everyday manager of their “Sales Team” not a single one of them holds a degree higher than a High School Diploma. So ask yourself this, how can they in their right minds try and sell these degrees to the students when their own sales teams barely made it past 12th grade. There is no reason why they shouldn’t have a degree and get this, all of their management team on the sales floor are going to AAU for their degrees and they can’t even pass the classes. Do yourself a favor and don’t answer their call. And if you are looking for a job in financial aid, don’t do it. You will wish after three days that you never took the job. If you don’t believe me about how much of a obtuse their Chief Financial Officer is, once you find out his name, ask around and anyone that has worked with him, will have nothing nice to say about him.

Advice to Management

Go to college and get your degrees before you try to sell students on your worthless degrees.

"Allied is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Admissions in Laguna Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Allied American University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Allied is a family owned school and the admissions department is a tight nit group. The benefits are fair and you are able to move up in the company based on the work you put in. They also try to fit employees in different departments if the original department isn't a perfect fit for your skills. I appreciate a company that looks for ways to keep you employed and happy with your job.

Cons

Medical benefits are a bit expensive when considering adding additional family members

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Laguna Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Allied American University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AAU is a great company. They are really growing and we can all see there is a ton of opportunity for career growth here now and in the years to come. If you work hard, management recognizes and rewards you through awards and promotions. I am surprised by the other feedback. I know most of the employees are satisfied with their jobs and have worked here for years. There are people that have worked here for 7, 9, 10 + years! Yes, there is some turnover, but mainly just people that don't have what it takes to cut it. I think management does a great job of creating fun contests for the staff, they provide regular consistent feedback to help you improve in your position.

Cons

Facilities need to be updated, medical benefits could be more affordable and I wish they would give us paid days off on the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

Advice to Management

We all love the "extra's" that happen to help boost employee morale. The ice cream truck, bbq's and parties are fun and makes it a more enjoyable place to work so do them more often. We need new desks, chairs, updated bathrooms, kitchen, etc. We need to have a company party! This would be a great opportunity for all the departments to get together outside of work with their families and get to know each other better.

7. "Its a great place to get your feet wet"

I worked at Allied American University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive micro management style, great for people new to education

Cons

Micro management ....and lack of respect from management

Advice to Management

Losen up....hire trustworthy people and show them respect.

8. "Admissions Department at Allied American University"

I worked at Allied American University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They Pay pretty good, but do not expect a raise. There is a "freeze" on raises and it never thaws. Negotiate the highest pay rate you can during the interview process.

Cons

Micro Management is alive and kicking at AAU and they take it to a whole new level. You can not even leave your desk to go to the rest room without asking permission from your supervisor. They treat the admissions personnel with a great deal of disrespect. Average length of employment at AAU is one year or less.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve EVERYDAY. Re-think your choice for Director of Admissions.