Allied Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Allied Electronics President Steve Newland
Steve Newland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is also a focus on a healthy work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• We have really good benefits and compensation (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for advancement, micro managed at times, no room firm decisions when it comes to accounts you handle (in 3 reviews)

• A company pays for an employee to receive an MBA in Supply Chain Management and hires a (in 3 reviews)

1. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Allied Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Keep up the good work Allied.

Cons

None to speak of

Advice to Management

None

2. "Matketing"

I worked at Allied Electronics full-time

Pros

Great culture. Allied management truly cares about their employees.

Cons

I had no negative experiences.

3. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Allied Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork oriented, upbeat environment with no micromanagement

Cons

Pay is mid-market, but worklife balance is encouraged

Advice to Management

focus on growth

4. "Not a very encouraging team"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Boise, ID

I worked at Allied Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady pay for honest work~~inside sales. Great catalog to send out. You were encouraged to build relationships with clients. Lots of great folks.

Cons

No support or direction of supervisor. The pay was terrible. Compensation depended on outrageous expectations that were unachievable. We were given the bad accounts and the manager was given the good accounts

"Hard Times"

Current Employee - Credit and Collections Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Credit and Collections Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Allied Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, good people, flexible,

Cons

Advice to Management

Trust your employees

6. "Overall a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Allied Electronics (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great culture. The employees at Allied overall have a great attitude and easy to work with. Your role is clearly defined and you will know your job duties. Management is easy to talk if issues arise.

Cons

One of the major cons is lack of opportunities. Allied is a smaller company and developmental growth can stagnate at one position. Another disadvantage is a lack of middle ware between all departments to make data visible to everyone.

Advice to Management

Please develop programs for employees to move up in their career. Also, allow employee ideas to be heard and actually implemented.

"Could be wonderful but (the wrong) people stand in the way.."

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Allied Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company with long history, new and very nice facility, potential to be absolutely awesome, global company. Good benefits, great location, many good people excluding the EMT and much of the management.

Cons

Without hesitation, the biggest con and the thing that keeps Allied stagnant (and always will) is the EMT and the management in the corporate office. It is indeed a good ole boys' club and they both overlook as well as partake in some pretty unethical activities. I have seen numerous people get turned down for promotion time and time again, only to leave and find much better jobs with competitors. And then the people who least deserve promotion will move up without much effort. The entire corporate mgmt team allowed a mid-level manager to wreak havoc in the Supply Chain dept for years until threats of lawsuits came up. That one rests mostly on the shoulders of one individual but everyone was well aware. That was probably the most sickening and disappointing thing I ever witnessed, not only in that company, but in my entire life. Some members of mgmt are serious control freaks and they micromanage. Nothing says " I don't trust you to do the job you were hired for" than micromanaging. The CEO is like a career politician, looking perfect but actually doing very little. He would not even acknowledge certain levels of staff for the longest time...until an employee survey came out that stated that, then he overcompensated. Some of the higher mgmt are people with ONLY Allied experience and that is not necessarily a good thing. "We've always done it this way" is a typical repetitive phrase and the company is silly with meetings. They even have meetings to discuss meetings! Another HUGE problem is that salepeople across the nation dictate how things go with Allied. The level of financial waste due to bad decisions by the sales field is incredible and salespeople will do anything to satisfy customers. That sounds great except for this little thing called profit. The returns at this place are off the chart. Couple that with many salespeople mainly concerned about their own commission instead of the longevity of the company that is paying them and you have a recipe for disaster.

Advice to Management

Clean house!!! Certain individuals who have worked SOLELY at this company and are high up in status are keeping Allied from reaching its full potential. PROMOTE FROM WITHIN. Stop speaking out of both sides of your mouth about employee development and then passing up people that want upward growth and ARE VERY QUALIFIED. Stop making this company a popularity contest for whoever kisses the most you know what! Stop allowing sales to run things and putting profitibility in their hands. Give all employees monetary incentives instead of taking them away. Basically, do the right things and then watch the growth. Positive employee morale is crucial and that seems to be on the bottom of the priority list.

"May be good for some for a while, but not a long term home"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Allied Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

May be a good place to get some really good technical experience, if that is your goal... although, they may not hire you if you do not have much experience

If you like being the BSA, Architect, Developer, DBA, QA, Change Manager, Project Manager and Production Support on all of your projects (for average or slightly below standard application developer pay), Allied may be a good fit

Great people! The hardest thing for me to leave was the people I worked with. I can’t say enough about the people that pull it all together for Allied. They do a really great job and are a big part of the reason I stayed at Allied as long as I did. I really wish the company truly valued this more as overall morale is definitely changing (not for the better)

Never a dull moment... lots of things in motion with a lean staff makes the day go by quickly

One deep or less in many areas means lots of exposure to different technologies... potentially all hours of the day and night and when you're out on vacation

Paying for tuition (a decent amount per year) bridges the typical below average starting pay. This is probably the best benefit. Hopefully, the company will not drop it during this period of low growth

Decent 401K match, but that was reduced again this year as the company experienced less than expected/no growth

CEO is transparent (both positive and negative)

Cons

Being a small company tied so closely to the economy, Allied can go from periods of high growth to periods of downsizing and layoffs in an extremely short time period. Having worked there for a while, I’d say it was more growing than retracting; but over the years, the company took away individual annual bonuses (fattening the management bonus pool), capped individual earning potential, had years without raises, reduced 401k matching benefits to match swings in the economy, continues to run very thin personnel wise and lags behind the industry in base salary for individuals (they are improving in some areas, though). I worry for the people there long term… that the competition is investing heavily and wisely in areas Allied is not and will continue to take business away.

The EMT (Executive Management Team) – When I first started at Allied, the EMT was a close group of people that knew the business well, worked hard and were engaged with all levels of the organization. There are still some that fit this description, but the experience spectrum and engagement has definitely shifted. If you work here, you’ll figure out who knows what is really going on and who is busy playing the part of executive. It isn’t difficult. The last great EMT addition was a well-deserved promotion after a difficult ERP conversion. Additions after that were not confidence building… internal people that while very motivated, had no real experience outside of Allied or professional larger company executives from other industries. These newer executives seem to put personal goals above what is right for the company and employees and they operate at a level too far out of the weeds for a company this size (they don’t have any idea what’s really going on in their respective areas), thus fueling a disturbing disconnect between the decision makers and the contributors that make the company great. One executive tried to leverage their new position and move to a larger company… after a very short failed experience at the new place, Allied actually gave them their old job back and paid to move them back despite heavy resistance from just about everyone not on the EMT. I can’t imagine how the people in the department felt after that.

Advice to Management

It’s the EMT’s way or the highway… get used to it. The EMT does not take criticism lightly. I’ve seen well respected high performers at all levels (line level managers up to new VP’s) ushered out the door for challenging the EMT and their ways. Regardless, care for your people and value them more than anything else. They are what make you and Allied great. Stick to your guns and be prepared to defend your people and for all the consequences that may ensue.

I figured that the last CEO appointment would come with some “strings”, but seriously… the company isn’t doing bad. The company is making money and profitable, but management is/was sounding the alarm like it is a sinking ship. I understand that Allied is trying to cut costs to get better numbers so that management could potentially get their bonus, but it’s time to start pushing back and not bending to the board’s every whim. Push for and get some goals that the company can achieve and find a better reward for record breaking effort than a picnic.

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Gurley, AL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Gurley, AL

I worked at Allied Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

Electronic Sales, Team Wins, $.

Cons

Manager, verbal abuse, inconsistent, ego.

Advice to Management

Ethics/remove verbal abuse, insulting verbiage.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Allied Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, growth opportunities, growing business, people

Cons

Compensation, slow to implement new ideas